Edsall confronts an angry Maryland fan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall confronts an angry Maryland fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is this what you want to believe or is that what you actually think the truth is?

I think it's a far more likely version of the truth than the belief that Edsall fairly easily could have told his team first but elected not to because he didn't give a damn.

Now, I admit that the latter is also a possibility. But I don't see his detractors admitting there are less disturbing factual scenarios, and the bigger issue to me is that I really don't understand why people badmouth others (and this goes for other public figures as well as FHCRE) when there are multiple explansations for a behavior and they don't know which ones in fact ruled the day.

Reaction Score
Randy left a lot to be desired in a lot of areas. But please, let's stop with the "How he left" stuff. This is big time college sports, not Little League.

My guess is that this deal was done before the Fiesta (most folks seem to agree). If he announces, he doesn't coach UConn against Oklahoma (SOP in situations like this at most big time programs). They don't want someone who is "dumping them for a new suitor" to remain on the sidelines.

Maryland (to their credit) must have agreed to a post-game announcement so as not to spoil Randy's moment of glory. But . . . they also probably demanded that RE get his to College Park ASAP for the Formal,breaking news, announcement. I'm sure that they didn't want this leaking out via Twitter, player interview, etc.

So the trade off was Maryland waits to make announcement, RE gets to coach in Fiesta Bowl, then time to "pay the piper" . . . say nothing to anyone, get on the first plane "outta Dodge City", and be here in the morning. The UConn players . . . these are young men who should understand this stuff to some extent. . . . deal with it. Ditto +100 for the fans.

You are saying fhcRE lied through his teeth as you say "My guess is that this deal was done before the Fiesta (most folks seem to agree)." Pretty cute then not telling Hathaway face to face and phoning him instead, makes fhcRE more of a lame character than if he hadn't already sewed upthe job and was rushing out to fullfill his dream. Not sure how you know most folks agree, but I'll take your word for it as long as you don't include me in the most folks or Leach's wife as she would then have been pretty dumb to be looking at houses in Maryland the previous week.
An wipe move is an wipe move whether you couch it in big boy stuff or not.
Would have preferred to have someone else coach team if scenario was as you and most folks seem to know.

Reaction Score
Touchdown Husky, that would be the 300th-hit-seeking Mr. Palmeri to you.

Ok Matt. . . you take spelling, I'll take math. Pretty sure that Rafael P (I'll leave the spelling to you) had a "few more" than 300 hits. But why "nit-pick"?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Ok Matt. . . you take spelling, I'll take math. Pretty sure that Rafael P (I'll leave the spelling to you) had a "few more" than 300 hits. But why "nit-pick"?

I wish I could find the video of it, but this will help you, TDH :

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-02-12-mcnamee-clemens_N.htm

Shays, R-Conn., was ridiculed in the media for getting facts about baseball and sports history wrong and incorrectly pronouncing the name of former slugger Rafael Palmeiro... He pronounced Palmeiro as "Palmeree," and talked about Palmeiro's 300th career hit instead of his 3,000th career hit. Palmeiro appeared before the committee in 2005.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Wow, Connecticut still doesn't get this big time sports thing the way the rest of the country does.

I think you are so caught up in your contrived online persona, you don't even know how stupid you sound sometimes.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If an Elite pass offense in CFB was the "make or break" in big time athletics . . . the Huskies would be playing with Trinity in the New England Small College Conference . . . and maybe struggling even there.

Who had the "elite passing offense" in the Alabama-LSU game this year? How about a couple of years ago when Alabama used a power running attack and a stout defense to win the national championship? Or the year before with Tim Tebow at FL? Is he an "elite" passer?

When was the last "fun and gun" offense to win the NC?

Reaction Score
Don't be confused, if I didn't want to read this stuff, I wouldn't. That being said, how many times can we re-hash the exact same arguments? I don't think I've heard anything different than we've been hearing for the last 11 months.

Reaction Score
One question -- between having Edsall quit out of the blue while preparing for the bowl, or leaving the way he did, do you really believe the players would have wanted him to leave early? Really?

It is a shame that the world of college sports has become so devoid of ethics and morals. But to blame an individual for playing along seems harsh. Especially to those who have left employers/law firms in sensitive situations and actually have had to struggle with these issues.

This is such a cop out. The world of college sports has become so devoid of ethics and morals BECAUSE of the actions of individuals. The actions create the atmosphere, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
This is such a cop out. The world of college sports has become so devoid of ethics and morals BECAUSE of the actions of individuals. The actions create the atmosphere, not the other way around.

It is not coaches that create the atmosphere. A coach who views their program as more important than a university's educational mission and ethical boundaries, in a sane world, would be fired on the spot. The atmosphere is created by the trustees, and the politicians who appoint them, who allow coaches and ADs to chase money and wins instead of integrating their programs into the university.

Your theory is that Trinity and Yale don't have these issues because they hire less power hungry coaches and ADs. Nonsense. Trinity and yale don't have these issues because their coaches and ADs know that, while winning is part of their job, everything else is not forgiven so long as they win.

Those last two paragraphs, by the way, have nothing to do with Randy Edsall whatsoever, thought I doubt most of his detractors will be able to see that. If the NCAA gave a crap about protecting players from coaches leaving, as opposed to protecting their powerful institutions from doing whatever they want to do at the moment, they would simply say, as any pro league does, that you can't talk to another team's coach until his season is done. Period. To blame the coaches because the system forces them into this awful Hobson's choice of abandoning their players before the bowl game or leaving in a nanosecond afterwards is, frankly, idiotic. Are baseball managers more ethical than football coaches because they don't negotiate their next job while they're still employed? You really believe that? It's that their system, in this case, has firmer ethical groundings.

Reaction Score
It is not coaches that create the atmosphere. A coach who views their program as more important than a university's educational mission and ethical boundaries, in a sane world, would be fired on the spot. The atmosphere is created by the trustees, and the politicians who appoint them, who allow coaches and ADs to chase money and wins instead of integrating their programs into the university.

Your theory is that Trinity and Yale don't have these issues because they hire less power hungry coaches and ADs. Nonsense. Trinity and yale don't have these issues because their coaches and ADs know that, while winning is part of their job, everything else is not forgiven so long as they win.

Those last two paragraphs, by the way, have nothing to do with Randy Edsall whatsoever, thought I doubt most of his detractors will be able to see that. If the NCAA gave a crap about protecting players from coaches leaving, as opposed to protecting their powerful institutions from doing whatever they want to do at the moment, they would simply say, as any pro league does, that you can't talk to another team's coach until his season is done. Period. To blame the coaches because the system forces them into this awful Hobson's choice of abandoning their players before the bowl game or leaving in a nanosecond afterwards is, frankly, idiotic. Are baseball managers more ethical than football coaches because they don't negotiate their next job while they're still employed? You really believe that? It's that their system, in this case, has firmer ethical groundings.

Your theory then states that everyone is unethical and it is only rules that keep them from beign otherwise. That is fine, but don't say someone is ethical and moral but they are only forced to break the rules. That applies across the board, and I don't care about Edsall.

Reaction Score
Your theory then states that everyone is unethical and it is only rules that keep them from beign otherwise. That is fine, but don't say someone is ethical and moral but they are only forced to break the rules. That applies across the board, and I don't care about Edsall.

I understand your statement, but in its simplicity it ignores reality. Did Rich Rod's obligations to finish a season to WVU, morally, outweigh his obligation to do what was best for his family, in a situation where it's his busines that puts him in to that position? Ignore friggin Randy Edsall. This is not the fault of collge coaches, and to say that, because the system puts them in this position, they can't ever leave for a better job to further them and their family is putting the responsibility in the wrong place. I don't think it's per se unethical to favor your family over business interests. It requires much more consideration and weighing than the simplicity with which fanbases turn on their coaches.

Reaction Score
I think you all are just nervous about this big game coming up for our 2011 team in 14 hours, and just keep blubbering about this Edsall ethics and morality stuff to keep your minds off it,and keep busy until game time. ;)

Reaction Score
Thanks, guys, for ruining a great video by rehashing the same argument we've had 100 times already.

Christ.

I think some of you have alarms set at your house to go off every time a negative word is spoken about this guy.

Move. On.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rrrrrrrraaaaaaannnnnnnggggggggoooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn used to be in trailors.

Reaction Score
The video summed up all of the issues nicely. I love how he plugged in "In only 12 years", and the fact that Edsall is all buddied up to Craig James, one of the most hated and disrespected personalities in all of college football.

Don't really care how Randy left. I am glad he left. But the way he left showed everyone that he was a bigtime hypocrite. I doubt that all of this was worked out before the Fiesta Bowl. No way Maryland would have burned 140 Grand to fly Randy in after the game on a private jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom