EDD and The Sad State of Providence Basketball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EDD and The Sad State of Providence Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Dregs of the Ivy League...what does that mean?
A fine school, but not a fine WBB program. Other Ivy League schools have managed to field frisky WBB at times (see Princeton this year). Brown...not so much.

And yes, I was talking about Brown as LLU. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, that threw me since the thread was about Providence, not Brown.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A fine school, but not a fine WBB program. Other Ivy League schools have managed to field frisky WBB at times (see Princeton this year). Brown...not so much.

Thanks for clarifying. :) I had not heard the limo part, but the liberal label is well known. Ironically, I was in the Econ. Department, which was very much not liberal.

As for the comment on Penn, that's another alma mater, along with Lehigh and UConn. I apparently was not Yale material. :D

Speaking of dregs, Brown football historically has been very weak, surpassed by only Columbia. However, 3 significant figures in the sport attended Brown: Heisman (yep, that one), Joe Paterno, and Chris Berman.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would have been a legacy to Brown. My grandfather and two of his brothers all graduated from there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would have been a legacy to Brown. My grandfather and two of his brothers all graduated from there.
My son would have been a legacy, too, if he had been admitted. He got into 8 of 9 schools, including Penn, Virginia, Wash. U., and UCLA. He went to Rice. We were both happy with the results. After 2 degrees from Rice, he got a grad degree from Columbia.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I was admitted but went to Gettysburg for the pre-seminary program.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Penn and Harvard have been good at times too. Harvard upset an injury-depleted, #1 seeded Stanford team more than a decade ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was admitted but went to Gettysburg for the pre-seminary program.
I would have liked it as an undergrad, but some of the faculty in my department were a__holes.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I considered Brown, but IIRC only applied to Yale among the Ivies. Had the grades but not the activities, although Wesleyan did accept me. But Rutgers was ultimately affordable.

More on-topic - I would call Providence College an obscure corner of Providence, and I've been there several times. But the lack of support of the program is astounding. You should be able to get more folks in for a top 25 opponent with some marketing. Are they ever going to have big crowds - probably not, but I think they could do better if anyone cared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom