EDD and Geno — THAT Summer | The Boneyard

EDD and Geno — THAT Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
[Elena] Delle Donne left in the middle of the night, quietly. She waited until her roommate, who was also a basketball player, fell asleep. She had a friend from home pick her up. By the time she arrived at her parents' house in Delaware, it was 7 a.m. and pouring. Her mother opened the door and said, "What are you doing here?" And Elena was crying too hard to explain.

"I always felt like I was kind of following the path everybody told me to go on and that I needed to do," Delle Donne says now, as it starts to rain outside her apartment. "And I think that's why I went through burnout and went through what I did, because finally I was like, well, what do I want to do? Let me step back. Do I really want to do this, or do I want to be something else?"

Her coach, Geno Auriemma, called immediately. He told her mother to bring Elena back to school. He'd seen this before -- homesickness, nerves. But Elena's mother knew something about this was different. "I can see it in her face," she told him.

They were in for one awkward summer. The Auriemmas and the Delle Donnes had vacation homes in Avalon, on the Jersey shore. One afternoon, Elena rode her bike the few blocks to the coach's house. They sat and talked for hours. He suggested she come back to school, no basketball. She stuck with her no. Auriemma seemed sad. "He thought my dreams were to be the greatest basketball player to ever walk the planet and to win championships," she says. "But that just wasn't my dream at that time." Auriemma's wife, Kathy, who had overheard the whole conversation, finally came in. She said, "Geno, she's not going to play for you. Let her go home."

Auriemma had been so eager to coach her. "It's very rare to find someone who is that tall and can handle the ball, pass the ball, shoot it like she does," he tells me. Can you blame him for being upset about losing a player with those abilities? The way she'd linger in the air while taking a 3-point shot, the way she'd cut and glide around the floor. "Those are all things that when she was in high school you didn't see much of," he says. "This feeling that someone like her comes along once in a great while. People had not seen this in the past."

Click [HERE] for the complete article "The Audicity of Height" about EDD.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[Elena] Delle Donne left in the middle of the night, quietly. She waited until her roommate, who was also a basketball player, fell asleep. She had a friend from home pick her up. By the time she arrived at her parents' house in Delaware, it was 7 a.m. and pouring. Her mother opened the door and said, "What are you doing here?" And Elena was crying too hard to explain.

"I always felt like I was kind of following the path everybody told me to go on and that I needed to do," Delle Donne says now, as it starts to rain outside her apartment. "And I think that's why I went through burnout and went through what I did, because finally I was like, well, what do I want to do? Let me step back. Do I really want to do this, or do I want to be something else?"

Her coach, Geno Auriemma, called immediately. He told her mother to bring Elena back to school. He'd seen this before -- homesickness, nerves. But Elena's mother knew something about this was different. "I can see it in her face," she told him.

They were in for one awkward summer. The Auriemmas and the Delle Donnes had vacation homes in Avalon, on the Jersey shore. One afternoon, Elena rode her bike the few blocks to the coach's house. They sat and talked for hours. He suggested she come back to school, no basketball. She stuck with her no. Auriemma seemed sad. "He thought my dreams were to be the greatest basketball player to ever walk the planet and to win championships," she says. "But that just wasn't my dream at that time." Auriemma's wife, Kathy, who had overheard the whole conversation, finally came in. She said, "Geno, she's not going to play for you. Let her go home."

Auriemma had been so eager to coach her. "It's very rare to find someone who is that tall and can handle the ball, pass the ball, shoot it like she does," he tells me. Can you blame him for being upset about losing a player with those abilities? The way she'd linger in the air while taking a 3-point shot, the way she'd cut and glide around the floor. "Those are all things that when she was in high school you didn't see much of," he says. "This feeling that someone like her comes along once in a great while. People had not seen this in the past."

Click [HERE] for the complete article "The Audicity of Height" about EDD.
Thanks for posting. One of best sports stories read in years. Saw EDD play at UDel and she was amazingly relaxed. Was nice to see someone play a sport because they loved the game and wanted to.

Reaction Score
everything you read about EDD brings tears. Aside from all the amazing things about her, there are two poignant moments for me:

1. "Auriemma had been so eager to coach her". Not have her play for UConn, not use her to win more championships. But rather the social relationship of coach and player, hoping to make her better, to watch her improving because in part he was her coach.
2. But she kept remembering one moment over the summer. She had gone to visit Lizzie at her school, and a woman named Dawn came to greet her. Dawn was a basketball fan with cerebral palsy who used a wheelchair. She said, "Elena, do everything you can with your abilities, just like we do."

Reaction Score
I hate to resurrect dead horses, but I thought the comment was revealing -- ie that she felt like she was pushed to be something, that she was burned out, etc. No mention of her sister.

I never believed that her sister was the (sole) reason for her departure. Nor do I believe that a player has to say publicly why she is leaving. I fully expect that any player will say what is easy or polite -- "I'm homesick" as opposed to "I want to play more" or "the coach is an " or whatever.

Just a reminder that what players say may not be the gospel truth behind their decisions.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I hate to resurrect dead horses, but I thought the comment was revealing -- ie that she felt like she was pushed to be something, that she was burned out, etc. No mention of her sister.

I never believed that her sister was the (sole) reason for her departure. Nor do I believe that a player has to say publicly why she is leaving. I fully expect that any player will say what is easy or polite -- "I'm homesick" as opposed to "I want to play more" or "the coach is an " or whatever.

Just a reminder that what players say may not be the gospel truth behind their decisions.

Delle Donne spent the rest of her summer ignoring the rumors about what was wrong -- that she was pregnant, that she was sick, that she was on drugs.

And what people post on message boards about what a player says or does not say publicly also makes it back to the player and can be hurtful, especially if it is a rumor posted as fact.

***Not directed at vowelguy; just adding the excerpt from the article as a follow-up point

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I got my first semi-extended view of EDD this summer in the Olympics. Thought she was a nice player but I could not help but wonder what she would be like after four years of Geno.

Reaction Score
I got my first semi-extended view of EDD this summer in the Olympics. Thought she was a nice player but I could not help but wonder what she would be like after four years of Geno.

Great article!

One can only imagine how great a team with Maya Moore and Elena would've been.

Re: the Lyme disease- I lived in NJ for about 20 years. One day I was jogging and stopped to tie my shoe. I walked a few steps in the grass and stepped on a fire hydrant. When I got back on the sidewalk to run I sat 2 ticks I had already had picked up on my shoe. I moved to Maryland for 2 years and they aren't quite as bad but they're still thick in the woods. Hardly see them here in Neb/Iowa.

Reaction Score
The experiment has already been conducted: Stewie's development showed what is possible with 4 years of coaching by Geno, and given the many similarities in size, athleticism, and skill set of Stewie and EDD, I think it is valid to apply the clear progress of Stewie over 4 years to what could have been for EDD as well. It will be interesting to compare their pro careers over the next few years barring injury or reoccurrence of EDD's Lyme symptoms to discern if the different college experiences of the two play out in actual performance and value to their teams.

Reaction Score
The experiment has already been conducted: Stewie's development showed what is possible with 4 years of coaching by Geno, and given the many similarities in size, athleticism, and skill set of Stewie and EDD, I think it is valid to apply the clear progress of Stewie over 4 years to what could have been for EDD as well. It will be interesting to compare their pro careers over the next few years barring injury or reoccurrence of EDD's Lyme symptoms to discern if the different college experiences of the two play out in actual performance and value to their teams.

EDD didn't have as strong a cast of teammates as Stewie did. Teams used to put 2 or 3 players on her every game and still couldn't stop her. I used to love to go to Delaware games.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
"IF," by Kipling

Reaction Score
In response to Striper69, no one had the team mates Stewie had surrounding her, but few if any, especially Delaware, played against the quality defenses of highly ranked teams UCONN faced almost every game. Two different metrics but I think they come close to cancelling each other out as factors affecting the comparison of Stewie and EDD's play and development. Obviously they are two different players, but their history, accomplishments, style of play and being contemporary are as close a match as you will find in women's BB in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Every player is different and EDD may have already reached her "peak" play with or without Geno, so this comparison may not be apt. But witness what Brittney Griner said about Geno after the Olympics, wishing she had played for him in college. One can well imagine how much greater still a player she would be today.

Reaction Score
EDD didn't have as strong a cast of teammates as Stewie did. Teams used to put 2 or 3 players on her every game and still couldn't stop her. I used to love to go to Delaware games.
She would have Maya as her teammate as a freshman and then Dolson and Hartley. She would have been the first BB player to earn 4 championships. Pretty strong cast, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
She would have Maya as her teammate as a freshman and then Dolson and Hartley. She would have been the first BB player to earn 4 championships. Pretty strong cast, in my opinion.

So I wonder if Stewie would've still came to UCONN...

Reaction Score
Every player is different and EDD may have already reached her "peak" play with or without Geno, so this comparison may not be apt. But witness what Brittney Griner said about Geno after the Olympics, wishing she had played for him in college. One can well imagine how much greater still a player she would be today.

That's another center that drives me crazy when I watch them play. Dribbles around too much and doesn't keep the ball high a lot. Doesn't use her height advantage and fouls too much. Blocked shots are over-rater if they get you in foul trouble. Baylor's new center is the same way.

Reaction Score
BTW- was this the first time she publicly "came out"? It doesn't matter to me but I'm curious.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So I wonder if Stewie would've still came to UCONN...
I don't see that EDD would have scared away any of the recruits that would have overlapped with her. Stewart is the closest to playing a similar role and they would have overlapped just one year. Geno really could have matched Wooden's streak and for the same reason - having three of the four best WCBB players over a ten year period overlapping each other for 1 year each and with stellar supporting casts.

Reaction Score
If Jackie Gemelos came to UCONN and left after two days at the dead of night, would Geno be equally annoyed?

Later addition:

Compared to when Jackie decided to withdraw.
Not comparing with EDD.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If Jackie Gemelos came to UCONN and left after two days at the dead of night, would Geno be equally annoyed?

Later addition:

Compared to when Jackie decided to withdraw.
Not comparing with EDD.
It would depend on the reasons I think - I think he was sort of annoyed with Walker when she left mid first semester but not with Boykin so I think each case stands on its own. I got the feeling that Jackie sort of had to convince the coaches she was serious when she committed that early, she spent most of the next year 'recruiting' other HS players to join her, and then just decided Uconn wasn't her lifelong dream after all and decommitted.

I think with EDD he wasn't happy, but he also came to recognize it was a serious crisis she was experiencing and not being done on a whim or after having misled the coaching staff.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's easy to forget that recruits like EDD, Boykin, Sadie Edwards and others are 18-19 yr old teenagers, and not quite adults yet. Most are living away from home for the 1st time in their life, and by choosing to play at UConn they have signed up for the most demanding environment of their young lives. Most of Geno's recruits fight through it and are better for the experience, but different levels of ability, maturity and motivation for individual recruits means the experience will not be the same for all.

While we all know about those who left, we will never know how many of Geno's recruits met with Geno to discuss leaving, had their bags packed or actually left only to be pursuaded by Geno to stick it out in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom