ECU/UCF | The Boneyard

ECU/UCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Probably nobody watching but if you've never connected coaching decision making to wins and losses that is the easiest example I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
That decision by ECU to take the sack on fourth down was stooooopidddd

Reaction Score
Probably nobody watching but if you've never connected coaching decision making to wins and losses that is the easiest example I've ever seen.

Still not sure what Ruffin was thinking...

... I know - he wasn't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

... I know - he wasn't.

The math is simple. People would take the job for free to point it out.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Still, what a "pitch and catch" that was! I was watching passively until the 4th quarter. Then, ECU just stormed right back into it and I thought they were going to put it away, but what a finish. Well, I guess we can at least say that we've beaten the AAC Champ this year, so we've got that goin' for us...

Reaction Score
I didn't watch but just shoot me if another guy drawing a 7 figure salary couldn't figure out basic clock management?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I didn't watch but just shoot me if another guy drawing a 7 figure salary couldn't figure out basic clock management?

I didn't watch either and Drew's link only shows a UCF Hail Mary 50+ yd touchdown as time expires then it craps out. Not sure what the taking the sack on 4th down comment is about!

Reaction Score
How could you guys not be watching. A conference tilt with a share of the title on the line. No wonder our ratings suck. I blame you two!!!

Reaction Score
Basically, ECU held UCF up 4 on the UCF 15 with 1:47 left in the game. That's right, they were 15 yards from the end zone! ECU decided to run backwards and take a sack on 4th down and gave the ball back to UCF on the UCF 35 yard line with 10 seconds to go.

UCF throws a 10 yard pass and gets out of bounds and then UCF throws a Hail Mary and scores a TD. Three ECU defenders went to block the pass, missed, and the UCF WR got behind them and caught the ball in the end zone.

Bottom line, it was terrible strategy, clock management, and execution.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How could you guys not be watching. A conference tilt with a share of the title on the line. No wonder our ratings suck. I blame you two!!!

Took knees when they couldn't run out the clock. Then panic - and ran backwards trying to run out the clock. Gave up 15 yards of field position.

They could have kicked a chip shot field goal and kicked off up 7 with seconds left or left them with a few seconds deep in their own end if they missed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Still, what a "pitch and catch" that was! I was watching passively until the 4th quarter. Then, ECU just stormed right back into it and I thought they were going to put it away, but what a finish. Well, I guess we can at least say that we've beaten the AAC Champ this year, so we've got that goin' for us...

Well one of the AAC champs....

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

My bad, I'm about 4-6 Johnnie Blue's deep and was wrapped up starting random posts about the stereotypical Subaru driver. I just realized I've had the TV paused for so long I have no idea what I was watching.

I'm not sure what Jimmy's excuse is but he did pop his head into the Subaru post.

Reaction Score
My bad, I'm about 4-6 Johnnie Blue's deep and was wrapped up starting random posts about the stereotypical Subaru driver. I just realized I've had the TV paused for so long I have no idea what I was watching.

I'm not sure what Jimmy's excuse is but he did pop his head into the Subaru post.

I was out joyriding in my brand new Subaru.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Took knees when they couldn't run out the clock. Then panic - and ran backwards trying to run out the clock. Gave up 15 yards of field position.

They could have kicked a chip shot field goal and kicked off up 7 with seconds left or left them with a few seconds deep in their own end if they missed.

Thank you, Whaler! No offense to UConnJim but I was more confused after his rundown.

Reaction Score
Horray weather
Weather, Schmeather. We beat them. No one else in conference has. Not in cold, heat, or luke warm weather. But yeah, that was a miserable day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Weather, Schmeather. We beat them. No one else in conference has. Not in cold, heat, or luke warm weather. But yeah, that was a miserable day.

A win is a win is a win. And to our credit the weather can be an advantage... but you can't pretend it wasn't the biggest factor in that game. It's not a coincidence that Central Florida lost a game in the worst weather their program has probably played in.

I'm sure UConn has played in worse... worse rain in Kingston one time... and it's been colder at Memorial... and the USF snow game... but I have never personally experienced a day that was worse than that.

Reaction Score

... I know - he wasn't.
In the carolina coaches defense the odds of that happening again are less than successfully navigating through an asteroid field.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how coaches think. (Clearly not the same scale, but) was at my son's Thanksgiving day game. They were up 12-0 with about 6 minutes to go in the half. Long run called back for a hold, a couple more stupid penalties and 4/22 at their own 20. Punt unit comes on, and they run a FAKE punt, gain 3 yards, and the HC threw a tantrum that was up there in the annals (threw his headset, stomped on his own hat, screamed "why do we do this stuff to ourselves...why....WHY....WHY!!!!).

The other team scores, then gets the ball back on a fumble and without a key interception with 1 min to go they probably would have lost.

The answer from my son as to what happened: The assistant coach in the booth thought "well we only punt the ball 20 yards anyway to what difference does it make"...

The ONLY person in the stadium that would have done that was him. If he had been on the field the HC probably would have strangled him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom