Early signing period coming | The Boneyard

Early signing period coming

Reaction Score
Early football signing period (December) recommended
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-football-signing-period-december-recommended

>>If adopted, the sport's new initial signing period would be in place this year for the 2016 recruiting class. The new early date would begin Dec. 16 and last 72 hours. It would be in place for two years as an "experiment," before being reevaluated.<<

>>The Collegiate Commissioners Association will consider the measure during a spring/summer discussion period before any formal adoption. The CCA will formally vote on the recommendation at its annual meeting, this year in June in Asheville, N.C. The association -- the 32 commissioners of Division I -- oversee the National Letter of Intent program.

The early-period committee chaired by MAC commissioner Jon Steinbrecher made the recommendation over the weekend after meeting during the NCAA convention.<<

Reaction Score
Who gets to vote on this and can the P5 just disregard it if they wish to tamper with kids signed to other programs? I predict some foot dragging unless they can manipulate the process to their advantage.

Reaction Score
We may be witnessing a sea change - where the big stars ignore the signing period entirely. Committing early helps the school, it does not help the kid. Why sign before the coaching staff is completely signed, sealed and delivered? I think we'll see pressure on 2-3 star kids to sign ealry, while the 4-5 star kids might start following the lead of Roquan Smith. Once you sign, you are committed. If you change your mind after you sign, you must sit out a year.

Reaction Score
It will help the little guys and it will help Uconn. We've been cherry picked more than a few times over the years by P5 schools looking to fill out their class the week of or even on LOI day.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you believe in the student athlete, then one should be prohibited from offering or accepting a scholarship offer until the recruit is accepted to the university. It clears up just about everything. If a kid doesn't get in, then the school is not on the hook. Once the kid is accepted at multiple universities, he then has the appropriate leverage to negotiate a 4 year deal. Everyone enters the agreement with their eyes open. No early recruiting wars, no kids getting scholarships pulled at the last minute, no schools offering 100 kids, schools don't have to take flyers on unproven underclassmen and no kids tied to the program after the coach leaves.

Reaction Score
SubbaBub said:
If you believe in the student athlete, then one should be prohibited from offering or accepting a scholarship offer until the recruit is accepted to the university. It clears up just about everything. If a kid doesn't get in, then the school is not on the hook. Once the kid is accepted at multiple universities, he then has the appropriate leverage to negotiate a 4 year deal. Everyone enters the agreement with their eyes open. No early recruiting wars, no kids getting scholarships pulled at the last minute, no schools offering 100 kids, schools don't have to take flyers on unproven underclassmen and no kids tied to the program after the coach leaves.
So then 1000 kids apply to bama, 10 to uconn. Bama gets their pick and small schools are left in the lurch because no one applied to then. Top that off with the 900 kids that don't get into bama. I like the idea, just not at all practical.

Reaction Score
DI Football Oversight Committee modifies recruiting package

>>An early signing period in college football is one step closer to a vote.

The Division I Football Oversight Committee on Tuesday recommended modifications to its comprehensive recruiting package proposal at the NCAA Convention in Nashville, Tennessee, moving it closer to a final vote by the Division I Council. The Council could vote on it as early as April.

In the latest package, the Football Oversight Committee maintained its support for a mid-December early signing date that would last for 72 hours and is also the first time junior college players can sign a National Letter of Intent. But the committee also recommended the Division I Council ask the Collegiate Commissioners Association, the group that oversees the NLI program, to not adopt a separate 72-hour NLI signing period for football that would have started on the last Wednesday in June.

The proposal would not change the traditional date for high school football prospects to sign, the first Wednesday in February.<<

Reaction Score
"The Division I Council meeting is over. The council approved everything -- it will vote in April -- recommended by the Football Oversight Committee, including April-June early visits. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said a June early signing period is off the table and that he expects the December window to meet approval from the conference commissioners. Bowlsby remains hopeful to later find another early signing window to supplement or replace December."

Mitch Sherman, ESPN Staff Writer

Also:Bid for college football summer signing period abandoned at NCAA convention

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this really makes a difference at The P5 Level. The coaches that play games with offers will just play different ones. Instead of "accepting" a kids commitment Harbaugh will simply slow play the lower end of prospects right until the last minute knowing many of them will hold out for a UM offer over locking themselves in early at a perceived lesser option.

OTOH many of the kids who commit early at G5 Schools will ignore the early sign date all together if they are weighing interest elsewhere. JMO but the only kids who will be able to take advantage of this early period are those with "commitable" offers that are sold on the school they have chosen. Also how does this address the 9,734 Coaching Changes that seem to happen every Dec/Jan? I sign up to play for coach X and now he leaves and I'm stuck. Admittedly I have not read all the articles on this issue, but I hope this is addressed.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Wiltfong touches on this around halfway in

Reaction Score

I am heavily in favor of a June and a December signing period.

This would solve the problem and come into line with basketball. Letting kids sign before their senior season takes a ton of pressure off both the players and the coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom