Early Season Lou Critics | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Early Season Lou Critics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes. What's interesting is as she moves toward her 3rd and 4th year her game will evolve inside making life miserable for 4's. She's going to be a handful because of her versatility.
they didnt break the "Stewie Mold"

Reaction Score
Boy, was she ever sweet vs. Tulane. Shot through her slump, and pulled the team along with her.

The band is the key; anyone have a contact with them?. Early in Doty's career they would play Sweet Caroline; why aren't they playing Louie-Louie? Maybe if they do, we'll hear more Looooouuuuuuu-s from the crowd.

Reaction Score
In the post-game press conference, Geno gets a question about Lou's progression and he says he wishes she would rebound more, and that if she got one every game he would be happy.

Geno: How many rebounds did Lou have?
CD: 5. Her sister had 12 last night. We did not get the rebounding Samuelson.
Geno: No, no we did not.
That's funny.

Something tells me that if she got twelve, the conversation would change:
Geno: How many blocks did Lou have?
CD: 5. Her sister had 12 last night. We did not get the blocking Samuelson.
Then later that season...
Geno: How many steals did Lou have?
CD: 5. Her sister had 12 last night. We did not get the stealing Samuelson.

Ad infinitum, ad astra, ad nauseam...Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Reaction Score
Yes. What's interesting is as she moves toward her 3rd and 4th year her game will evolve inside making life miserable for 4's. She's going to be a handful because of her versatility.

You mean as a pf, she will be shooting three's vs team making other power forward's life miserable similar to what Maya would do, right? I can definitely see that.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You mean as a pf, she will be shooting three's vs team making other power forward's life miserable similar to what Maya would do, right? I can definitely see that.
*Yes again. 2 guards who are about 5'10" or so see her as this long armed mountain they can't dribble around or shoot over. Wings see her as this puzzle that seems awkward, yet they can't dribble around and doesn't allow them to get to their shooting position. Offensively she can shoot over 2 guards and when they commit, dribble passed. Wing's who want to linger under the basket in zones are pulled from their comfort areas. In man to man they lose her in screens or she dribbles around to shoot the 2 or drive to the basket. And still she shoots over them. Both a nightmare and a puzzle. When she learns better footwork with her back to the basket she'll be trouble inside.

Reaction Score
*Yes again. 2 guards who are about 5'10" or so see her as this long armed mountain they can't dribble around or shoot over. Wings see her as this puzzle that seems awkward, yet they can't dribble around and doesn't allow them to get to their shooting position. Offensively she can shoot over 2 guards and when they commit, dribble passed. Wing's who want to linger under the basket in zones are pulled from their comfort areas. In man to man they lose her in screens or she dribbles around to shoot the 2 or drive to the basket. And still she shoots over them. Both a nightmare and a puzzle. When she learns better footwork with her back to the basket she'll be trouble inside.

I agree with what you say but in this explanation you're speaking of the 2/3 position the wing. I was speaking of when you said "her game will evolve inside making life miserable for 4's."

The explanation you just replied to me with was that of KLS as a wing and the problems she can cause. Anyhow, not important.

I would like your opinion on the following--can you give it? Do you foresee at some point in KLS's career that she can defend the post? In particular power forwards and certain type of centers?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought, and posted it a few times, that KLS is gonna be a good one. Not DT, Moore, Stewart level, but I thought by the time she graduated she could reach the next level (Bird, Charles, Abrosimova, etc.). However I will admit, she has shown a lot more this year (recently) than I though she would.

I really like the fact that even with Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Nurse on the floor, she demands the ball when she is open. Pretty impressive.

You are getting shamefully soft! Please get back into shape in the off season ... OK?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The poster I am looking for to come on the board and again explain what a mistake Geno made in not offering Gillespie who was going to completely light up WCBB and challenge for player of the year, not just NFOY.
She has put together a nice freshman season for Maryland, but I think I am fine with Collier and Samuelson. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The poster I am looking for to come on the board and again explain what a mistake Geno made in not offering Gillespie who was going to completely light up WCBB and challenge for player of the year, not just NFOY.
She has put together a nice freshman season for Maryland, but I think I am fine with Collier and Samuelson. :rolleyes:

Oh, now you've done it! :eek:

Reaction Score
Agree, Geno should offer Gillespie not Boykin

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree with what you say but in this explanation you're speaking of the 2/3 position the wing. I was speaking of when you said "her game will evolve inside making life miserable for 4's."

The explanation you just replied to me with was that of KLS as a wing and the problems she can cause. Anyhow, not important.

I would like your opinion on the following--can you give it? Do you foresee at some point in KLS's career that she can defend the post? In particular power forwards and certain type of centers?
Well, I've had this discussion a bunch of times with guys here smarter than I. I think as she moves toward her 3rd and 4th year she's going to have a deft and educated offensive game down low. Geno has said she is as strong as Stewie, but I believe in different ways. For example in her first year Stewie often found herself defending on her butt. KLS doesn't hit the floor as much while defending. She has from what I've seen excellent lower body strength. She is not as agile or athletic as Stewie, but her body type supports good upper body strength with age and work. I think as time goes on this young lady is going to be one versatile and potent AA on both offense and defense. I just don't really see her defending at the 5 position. Frankly that position requires a wider posterior and a take no prisoners attitude. Good post players are born not made.

Reaction Score
Well, I've had this discussion a bunch of times with guys here smarter than I. I think as she moves toward her 3rd and 4th year she's going to have a deft and educated offensive game down low. Geno has said she is as strong as Stewie, but I believe in different ways. For example in her first year Stewie often found herself defending on her butt. KLS doesn't hit the floor as much while defending. She has from what I've seen excellent lower body strength. She is not as agile or athletic as Stewie, but her body type supports good upper body strength with age and work. I think as time goes on this young lady is going to be one versatile and potent AA on both offense and defense. I just don't really see her defending at the 5 position. Frankly that position requires a wider posterior and a take no prisoners attitude. Good post players are born not made.

As far as a power forward I don't think she'll ever be a low post offensive player for more than a couple of plays. Her strength is shooting the ball from 3 or as wing or sg - as you say hopefully she can post them at times.

In terms of defending, you don't think for example as she becomes a senior, she couldn't defend someone like Turner from ND? Maybe for 10-25 minutes? Or whoever Ohio State has for example as their center? OFC she couldn't defend Coates or Jones (form MD). At least not right now projecting forward.

Through her 4 year career - I think it is so interesting to see what Geno has in store for her. Like what sluconn said - I am extremely surprised Geno is recruiting another big time very small pg (I think she is from Ga) over-and-above Dangerfield. It makes me wonder if he envisions KLS defending at least power forwards (maybe also certain centers-not all.) at one end while the other end he would play "small ball" and force the opposing team's bigger player to have to guard her or for example Collier. We saw how Stokes became a bit irrelevant vs St Joes. I wonder if he envisions that KLS can defend "well enough" vs bigger players at one end defensively while putting them at a huge disadvantage at the other end if they have to guard a phenom shooter like KLS or a slasher like Collier/Gabby.

JordyG

Reaction Score
As far as a power forward I don't think she'll ever be a low post offensive player for more than a couple of plays. Her strength is shooting the ball from 3 or as wing or sg - as you say hopefully she can post them at times.

In terms of defending, you don't think for example as she becomes a senior, she couldn't defend someone like Turner from ND? Maybe for 10-25 minutes? Or whoever Ohio State has for example as their center? OFC she couldn't defend Coates or Jones (form MD). At least not right now projecting forward.

Through her 4 year career - I think it is so interesting to see what Geno has in store for her. Like what sluconn said - I am extremely surprised Geno is recruiting another big time very small pg (I think she is from Ga) over-and-above Dangerfield. It makes me wonder if he envisions KLS defending at least power forwards (maybe also certain centers-not all.) at one end while the other end he would play "small ball" and force the opposing team's bigger player to have to guard her or for example Collier. We saw how Stokes became a bit irrelevant vs St Joes. I wonder if he envisions that KLS can defend "well enough" vs bigger players at one end defensively while putting them at a huge disadvantage at the other end if they have to guard a phenom shooter like KLS or a slasher like Collier/Gabby.
I've pretty much been thinking along the same lines. I think Geno likes her versatility between 2's and 4's and over the years depending on game situations he'll try to take advantage of her height/length or quickness. The thing is time has made some of my designation slightly old fashioned. 4's use to be power forwards, 3's small forwards, 2's big guards. 2's are still off guards for the most part, but the line between 3's and 4's are becoming blurred. Geno like versatile players, as one poster has said more than once. Because of this he has blurred those lines as well as anyone.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
maybe people's definition of "bashing" is different... but I def. recall bashing-like comments in the vein of "she'll never..." Don't really care, actually, until folks are as demanding and judgmental about themselves as they are about 18 year olds.... ;-)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
JordyG - on designations, I think it comes down to two things:
1. At all levels and both genders - the relatively immobile bulk players who have range only out to 5 feet are becoming extinct - there just aren't that many around who get to the highest level within any of the various strata (HS, College, Pros, men or women.) So there just aren't enough to go around to populate traditional '5' or traditional '4' designations - the modern '5' is closer to what a stretch '4' looked like ten years ago and they sort of blend together as a 5 designation now.

2. With the limited supply of big bodies and more attention to skill over muscle in rules and style of play, more coaches are putting 3 or 4 players on the court at a time that might all have been designated as guards ten years ago, and frequently the remaining one or two players are closer to traditional '3' or '4' designations. Look no further than the ND game earlier this year to see how effective that can be.

Geno long ago did away with distinctions between '1' and '2' players - his ideal being two guards equally adept at both passing and shooting (Sue and DT), and his ideal for the other three positions would probably be Dolson, Stewart, and Moore - players that threaten to score from the arc to the rim, and who are as deadly passing as they are shooting. Dolson still retains a 4-5 designation, but Moore and Stewart really range from 4-1 in their skill sets.

In the modern game, the defensive sets more closely retain their designations than do the five offensive threat offenses. On defense you still need someone to anchor inside, and a few players who can harry the opponent ball handles up top. I find it interesting that modern full court presses though are frequently using a stretch four type player at the center top of the press - Kiah got some run in that position even, and Stewart has as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1. At all levels and both genders - the relatively immobile bulk players who have range only out to 5 feet are becoming extinct - there just aren't that many around who get to the highest level within any of the various strata (HS, College, Pros, men or women.) So there just aren't enough to go around to populate traditional '5' or traditional '4' designations - the modern '5' is closer to what a stretch '4' looked like ten years ago and they sort of blend together as a 5 designation now.

2. With the limited supply of big bodies and more attention to skill over muscle in rules and style of play, more coaches are putting 3 or 4 players on the court at a time that might all have been designated as guards ten years ago, and frequently the remaining one or two players are closer to traditional '3' or '4' designations. Look no further than the ND game earlier this year to see how effective that can be.

Geno long ago did away with distinctions between '1' and '2' players - his ideal being two guards equally adept at both passing and shooting (Sue and DT), and his ideal for the other three positions would probably be Dolson, Stewart, and Moore - players that threaten to score from the arc to the rim, and who are as deadly passing as they are shooting. Dolson still retains a 4-5 designation, but Moore and Stewart really range from 4-1 in their skill sets.

In the modern game, the defensive sets more closely retain their designations than do the five offensive threat offenses. On defense you still need someone to anchor inside, and a few players who can harry the opponent ball handles up top. I find it interesting that modern full court presses though are frequently using a stretch four type player at the center top of the press - Kiah got some run in that position even, and Stewart has as well.
Well stated UC. On the offensive side of the ball having a post player with the ability to play at or beyond the arc is the difference between running a 5 Out motion offense vs. a 4 out 1 in offense. Huge difference in that the 5 out is significantly harder to defend. On last years team it was literally the difference between Morgan and Kiah. With Kia in the game the offense stalled when she was outside the arc because she was no threat there and the defense knew it. With Morgan in the game you have to respect 3 point shot and because you have to respect every position on the floor you will get 1 on 1 coverage in the post. Post Isolation=Checkmate for South Carolina in 2015. I think Butler will put the same limitations on the UCONN offense next year which is why I believe Kyla to be a better option.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well stated UC. On the offensive side of the ball having a post player with the ability to play at or beyond the arc is the difference between running a 5 Out motion offense vs. a 4 out 1 in offense. Huge difference in that the 5 out is significantly harder to defend. On last years team it was literally the difference between Morgan and Kiah. With Kia in the game the offense stalled when she was outside the arc because she was no threat there and the defense knew it. With Morgan in the game you have to respect 3 point shot and because you have to respect every position on the floor you will get 1 on 1 coverage in the post. Post Isolation=Checkmate for South Carolina in 2015. I think Butler will put the same limitations on the UCONN offense next year which is why I believe Kyla to be a better option.
Coco - I actually really like Butler's shot and her confidence in it out to the key - that is the one positive surprise I have seen from her. In that regard she is probably as effective as sophomore and junior Stef. Defensively she isn't as strong, but neither one did you want anywhere near the arc on defense unless another big was up there setting a screen.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
maybe people's definition of "bashing" is different... but I def. recall bashing-like comments in the vein of "she'll never..." Don't really care, actually, until folks are as demanding and judgmental about themselves as they are about 18 year olds.... ;-)
I agree there was significant amounts of bashing, denigrating, or harsh criticism of Katie Lou. That some don't remember it is a matter of convenience.

Reaction Score

You're right. I depends on what each person's definition of "bashing" means. I don't see "She never . . ." as necessarily a "bashing" post. It "could be" depending on what happens. I only brought it up to bags27 because I was curious if there was something specific and was wondering for someone like me who calls KLS soft (Because of her rebounding) though I have psoted often even when she as missing that she needs to be on firing away- am I basher? Heck even the coaches were sarcastically implying they don't have the rebounding Samuelson.

Not every post needs to be an "I love you post" however many, many, many,many,many, many, many should be. After all the team has lost one game in three years and 99% of the wins are by double digits. But if a player has a flaw - if you point it out, is that bashing?

JordyG

Reaction Score

You both are correct on all counts.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I agree there was significant amounts of bashing, denigrating, or harsh criticism of Katie Lou. That some don't remember it is a matter of convenience.

I found these gems from the USF thread in January (1-10-16)

“Wish KLS could shoot like Laska”

“Laska has 14 points to KLS's 2. I'm not sure your take is all that realistic, with due respect."

BTW it's "Laksa" and she's LEADING the American in 3pt % , so I guess we wish EVERYBODY could shoot like Laksa. And that being said I'd like to see the numbers from just this game forward. I'll bet Lou is right up there with the markmanship now. And besides as was said before she does so much more than shoot threes for us.

Reaction Score
I found these gems from the USF thread in January (1-10-16)

“Wish KLS could shoot like Laska”

“Laska has 14 points to KLS's 2. I'm not sure your take is all that realistic, with due respect."

Is that the same thread I offered to buy up the stock of anyone selling on KLS? I bought at rock bottom that day and now the value has gone through the roof.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I will plead guilty to having posted during the exhibition season that based on what I saw of Lou's defense in those games, I did not think she could defend Mabrey, Gillespie, A'ja Wilson, or Diamond Deshields, and was unlikely to acquire that level of skill this season.

I will acknowledge being extremely pleasantly surprised at how quickly her defense has improved. I'm still not sure I want to see her guarding A'ja Wilson in the Final Four if that should happen, but hopefully it won't be necessary. Next year is another story.

I also recall predicting in numerous posts that her shooting would come around, and that she should just keep jacking them up until that happened, while also doing all the other things that Geno and Boneyarders would like to see. She has done that, and the forecast about her shooting (her own as well as Geno's and most observers) has been realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom