Early Look at 2019 Hot Seats In CFB | The Boneyard

Early Look at 2019 Hot Seats In CFB

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Randy Edsall, UConn: Edsall's second go-round in Storrs has been brutal: a 4-20 record, the worst defense in FBS history this past season and several cringe-worthy news conferences. UConn couldn't fire him this past season, but if things don't markedly improve in Year 3, the school will have no other choice.

Which coaches start the 2019 season on the hot seat?

Reaction Score
Always have a choice. It's never too early to stop going in the wrong direction.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sounds about right. Need to win a few games and show improvement. There can't be a five year plan, that's utter nonsense.

Reaction Score
If Edsall goes 3-9 again with holding opponents to fewer than 40 points. I believe he's back. If he goes 1-11 again, with blowout losses, then he's gone. It took him 4 years to reach .500 in his first go-around at UConn. It took Cutcliffe 5 years before he rebuilt Duke. It took Golden 4 years before he rebuilt Temple. It took Fuente 3 years to rebuild Memphis. It took Taggart 3 years at USF.

It's crazy that Frost rebuilt UCF so quickly. This isn't the norm folks.

Reaction Score
Don't pay for ESPN+, but you can't keep setting records for futility, blame everyone else and lament fan support all at the same time.

Have to look competent which they largely have not done since he got here. It's never been worse than this past season.

Reaction Score
If Edsall goes 3-9 again with holding opponents to fewer than 40 points. I believe he's back. If he goes 1-11 again, with blowout losses, then he's gone. It took him 4 years to reach .500 in his first go-around at UConn. It took Cutcliffe 5 years before he rebuilt Duke. It took Golden 4 years before he rebuilt Temple. It took Fuente 3 years to rebuild Memphis. It took Taggart 3 years at USF.

It's crazy that Frost rebuilt UCF so quickly. This isn't the norm folks.
You have to look at the whole picture. He talked about implementing the 3 3 5 defense because there weren't enough quality defensive linemen to a program like ours and because of a lack of depth on the current roster. Now he has officially changed course.

If the guy you hired is having to change course on offense and defense two years in after delivering awful results you have to doubt the long term plan.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
As long as we get to keep Corey I don't care if Randy gets fired.

Reaction Score
I hope Edsall succeeds but he has to wake the freak up. No more, we coudn't pass because the QB has small hands insanity. Time to come back to reality.

Reaction Score
Helton is #1 with a bullet on this list. He will be gone within the first five games next season......USC’s schedule is murderously difficult.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I do love how much Randy loves UConn. But just like Crocker, this is a results oriented business. If UConn looks the same or even slightly/marginally better in 2019, they have to make a move. This program needs to figure out how to play competitive FBS level football again and soon.

Reaction Score
I just hope Randy will get some success next year. If we turn around the D, we might win a few games... USF is coming to the Rent next year, correct? I hope late November.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can't see them letting him go unless he does something that can't be ignored (losing big time doesn't count).

We don't have the money to keep letting coaches go every 3 years. Every time that happens you just reset the program a few years back while the new coach gets his guys in place.

In two years from now, if he hasn't turned the corner, then he'll be gone. I give him until the end of the 20-21 season before he's let go.

Whether you all agree or not, this is the only course of action that could allow us to possibly turn it around. There is no magical coach who will come to CT and turn this thing around in a year or two. Just not enough fertile recruiting of players who want to go to UConn to do this.

At UCF you can get the third tier guys and have a team better than us. We'd be fighting for tier 3 guys in the Northeast. That's why many have only FCS or lower level FBS offers. The good recruits won't even realistically give us a thought.

Reaction Score
The AAC has 6 schools with coaches on the hot seat (from 3 to 29) here they are:
At # 3 UConn...............................................................Record - 4W & 20L after 2 years w/ school
At # 13 ECU*.................................................................Record - 9W & 26L after 3 years w/ school
At # 15 Tulsa..................................................................Record - 21W & 29L after 4 years w/ school
At # 22 University of Houston........................................Record - 15W & 10L after 2 years w/ school
At # 27 USF....................................................................Record - 17W & 7L after 2 years w/ school
At # 29 SMU..................................................................Record - 5W & 7L after 1 year w/ school
*ECU is currently listed as a CUSA member for the 2019 season - according to the earlier link.

On edge of hot seat
At #33 NAVY...................................................................Record - 87W & 58L after 12 years w/ school

So 5 schools that have coaches who should be stable in 2019:
At # 81 Tulane..............................................................Record - 15W & 21L after 3 years w/ school
At # 102 Cincinnati.........................................................Record - 14W & 19L after 2 years w/ school
At # 113 Memphis..........................................................Record - 26W & 13L after 3 years w/ school
At # 114 Temple.............................................................Record - 15W & 10L after 2 years w/ school
At # 128 UCF..................................................................Record - 12W & 0L after 1 year w/ school

Interesting facts:
Well SMU after 1 year already has their coach on the hot seat who has more victories in his one losing season than our coach has in two seasons. I think SMU is wrong in their case, unless they had some serious talent that no one knew about.

But the AAC has a coaching problem. The conference may lose more coaches this year to FCS Schools than to the P5. (Which would you prefer?)

A point that has been raised elsewhere, Houston, has their coach on the hot seat with winning records. Houston acts like a P5 School??? Would UConn put Randy Edsall on the hot seat with the same record? Should we? Perhaps not yet. But perhaps at some point we will be in a place where we will have the option to make the same decision! Big schools do!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I
I can't see them letting him go unless he does something that can't be ignored (losing big time doesn't count).

We don't have the money to keep letting coaches go every 3 years. Every time that happens you just reset the program a few years back while the new coach gets his guys in place.

In two years from now, if he hasn't turned the corner, then he'll be gone. I give him until the end of the 20-21 season before he's let go.

Whether you all agree or not, this is the only course of action that could allow us to possibly turn it around. There is no magical coach who will come to CT and turn this thing around in a year or two. Just not enough fertile recruiting of players who want to go to UConn to do this.

At UCF you can get the third tier guys and have a team better than us. We'd be fighting for tier 3 guys in the Northeast. That's why many have only FCS or lower level FBS offers. The good recruits won't even realistically give us a thought.
give him to the 5th game of the 2020 season. If the team isn’t performing...you need to get the best coach you can which means you use the rest of the season and off-season to do that. You use an interim coach and again making no promises!

Reaction Score
The AAC has 6 schools with coaches on the hot seat (from 3 to 29) here they are:
At # 3 UConn.............Record - 4W & 20L after 2 years w/ school
At # 13 ECU*...............Record - 9W & 26L after 3 years w/ school
At # 15 Tulsa...........Record - 21W & 29L after 4 years w/ school
At # 22 University of Houston..........Record - 15W & 10L after 2 years w/ school
At # 27 USF.............Record - 17W & 7L after 2 years w/ school
At # 29 SMU...........Record - 5W & 7L after 1 year w/ school
*ECU is currently listed as a CUSA member for the 2019 season - according to the earlier link.

This list can't be current. ECU and Houston both have new coaches.

Reaction Score
I just looked it up...but the point still holds even more so with two coaches already gone! And ECU is not in CUSA so my point is there are errors. But that being said, the new coach isn’t on the hot seat list yet because I have not yet seen a school hire someone and immediately put them there. It would be admitting they made a bad hire before the guy even starts. The next hot seat would be that of the AD

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
A point that has been raised elsewhere, Houston, has their coach on the hot seat with winning records. Houston acts like a P5 School??? Would UConn put Randy Edsall on the hot seat with the same record? Should we? Perhaps not yet. But perhaps at some point we will be in a place where we will have the option to make the same decision! Big schools do!
Houston can act like a P5 schools because they have a billionaire donor footing the bill for any coach buyout. UConn does not have that and instead have little to no money to play with. Now, if one of us wins powerball and wants to be our football teams sugar daddy, we can act like a P5 school with our coaches too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom