Early look ahead to Bob Diaco's first UConn team - Jim Fuller | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Early look ahead to Bob Diaco's first UConn team - Jim Fuller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This cannot be minimized. Three step drops and getting rid of the ball on time make a huge difference. Inn the final games under TJ, the offensive line looked better because he didn't expose their weaknesses (and Foley deserves some credit). This is know in college football circles as coaching. It really does make a difference.

Cochran was getting rid of the ball as well.

Reaction Score
Our first Diaco apologist. The same people that are all in on Diaco are already making excuses for why he won't be successful before he coaches his first game.

We don't have time for a rebuilding year. The last coach won the last 3 games and the last two weren't even close. If the next coach is taking a step backward, than Warde made a bad decision.

The conference sucks and is getting worse and Pasqualoni's recruiting was not bad. The cupboard is not bare. A losing record is not acceptable.

I read that article and I get why he retained Foley.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco ought to be able to field a great team next year. We basically return everything except our OLine, and I can't remember ever having a bad OLine under Foley.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read that article and I get why he retained Foley.

To be honest, once we got the two mummies out of the way, the offense played pretty well. I think with a full offseason, we would have had one of the better offenses in the league. Foley turned the line around almost immediately by getting rid of that absurdly complex zone blocking scheme that none of the linemen ever understood.

Reaction Score
I think Diaco ought to be able to field a great team next year. We basically return everything except our OLine, and I can't remember ever having a bad OLine under Foley.

I wish I shared your sentiments. I am really concerned about the D. Losing Shamar Stephen and Smallwood is huge. I don't see anyone on the current team who can come close to replacing Stephen. He engulfed blockers and had surprisingly great lateral movement for such a big guy. Maybe Coach D can light a fire under some of our talented but unproductive linebackers to replace Smallwood, but that is no sure thing.

Our running game will continue to struggle if the line plays like last season (yes, even when Coach Foley took over, the running game was an adventure). This is a position, however, that can see huge improvement depending on the strides in the weight room from the younger guys. Casey makes quick decisions with the football which takes pressure off mediocre pass blocking. We have also yet to see a BCS back emerge.

The good news is there is raw talent on D that has shown flashes, especially in the secondary. And the receiving corps will be one of the best in the nation 1-5 next season in my opinion. Coaching will have a big impact on how well this team does, both in developing talent already on roster, and putting them in the best position to succeed. The fact that when he had to review the coaching staff he decided to only keep Foley, is a very good sign of Coach Diaco's decision making.

Reaction Score

Don't agree with you. Regardless of the outstanding job Coach Foley will do and has done...if you can't control the line of scrimmage, you will struggle in running the ball. You can do as many 3 step drop passes, counters, screens, bubble screens, etc as possible but you need to run the ball consistently and unless there is huge improvement in underclassmen and in recruiting, including JUCO's..we will have a year of transition until Coach D can have a full year/cycle in the recruiting area.

What will change for the better is the culture on the field (hopefully in the stands as well) ... and that is encouraging. January 7 ..renewing my season tickets....will be exciting year of transition (including ups and downs..but fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom