Early B1G conference predictions | The Boneyard

Early B1G conference predictions

Reaction Score
Just a quick prediction on the winner of that conference for 2023-24, I think Indiana takes 1st and OSU 2nd. Nothing earth shattering there except that would leave Iowa in 3rd, where I believe they will land. Maryland will be a darkhorse candidate for that 3rd spot but I put them in 4th as of today. Iowa needs help inside, not sure they have that help on their roster.

Reaction Score
Just a quick prediction on the winner of that conference for 2023-24, I think Indiana takes 1st and OSU 2nd. Nothing earth shattering there except that would leave Iowa in 3rd, where I believe they will land. Maryland will be a darkhorse candidate for that 3rd spot but I put them in 4th as of today. Iowa needs help inside, not sure they have that help on their roster.
The BIG10 this year is going to be in flux personally. Your comment about Iowa and the post position is a good one because I'm not sure how they're going to transition from Czinano. Stulke did very well as a freshman, but doesn't have the size as Czinano. O'Grady stepped up a bit during the NCAA tournament, but also got the impression that Coach Bluder didn't trust her that much, which was a change from her freshman season. Will Goodman be good to go after missing last season? A lot of questions that need to be answered.

Michigan is another team I'll be interested in seeing how they transition from having Kiser and Brown as their primary scorers last season. Phelia continues to get better as a guard. Hobbs was inconsistent but has a lot of potential as well. Like Iowa, the post/forward position is going to be a question mark. Cameron Williams, while a starter, didn't play significant minutes (e.g. 20 min/game avg) in that role. They have some intriguing freshmen and transfers coming in. How it all comes together will be something to watch.

Illinois picked up some depth in the post/forward position in the portal. Also like the fact they got Britney Anderson from Stanford as an AC. She could help improve develop post players performance from last season. For the balance of the conference, I have to go through their rosters before making any other observations.

Reaction Score
All I want is to not cringe watching the Gophers play. Coach P should help shore up the turnovers and make them respectable in her first year at Minnesota.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
All I want is to not cringe watching the Gophers play. Coach P should help shore up the turnovers and make them respectable in her first year at Minnesota.
@GoldenGophs , I suggest being more careful with nicknames. As Duke fans can attest, cringing at the style of play was a constant during Coach P's tenure with the Blue Devils. :D

@triaddukefan

Reaction Score
Yeah, I got the bar set low for the Gophers. This way I am not too disappointed while watching the games. The talent is there but that first year, I give a coach a cushion.

Reaction Score
I got:

1). Ohio State
2). Indiana
3). Iowa
4). Maryland
5). Illinois
6). Michigan
7). Purdue
8). Nebraska
9). Wisconsin
10). Rutgers
11). Michigan State
12). Minnesota
13). Penn State
14). Northwestern

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Indiana needs to find some depth at all positions, a few have played & showed promise but I wouldn't call it proven just yet. Ohio St. needs to find some consistent long range shooting after losing Mikesell. They have players that can shoot it, but now they have to prove it on a consistent basis.

Iowa I think will surprise. Post play will be better than most expect with O'Grady, Goodman (sans knee brace), Ediger, & Stuelke who has expanded her game/range can slide over too. They'll get their points although not at a 70% clip like Czinano, but their rebounding will be greatly improved. There are countless shooters to put around Clark (Martin, Marshall, McCabe, Affolter, Davis, Feuerbach) so expect to see some 5-out too which will be exciting with Clark.

Maryland & Illinois will be next in line followed by Nebraska, Purdue, Michigan St, Minnesota, & Michigan. Wisconsin is rated too high at #9 - they will be lucky to not finish 14th with their current roster. Overall, all but a couple teams at the bottom the BIG has improved from last season.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I think Rutgers is going to surprise some people this year.

Reaction Score
I think Nebraska is a little low. Wisconsin is definitely too high.
I put too much faith in Michigan. But Nebraska and Michigan could flip flop. Wisconsin is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Coach Moseley is doing a pretty decent job with that program. Her summer program was probably the best Wisconsin has seen in awhile. Wisconsin is going to shock a lot of people.

Reaction Score
I put too much faith in Michigan. But Nebraska and Michigan could flip flop. Wisconsin is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Coach Moseley is doing a pretty decent job with that program. Her summer program was probably the best Wisconsin has seen in awhile. Wisconsin is going to shock a lot of people.

Nebraska under performed last year if you ask me. Not sure what I think how they'll perform this season.

Still skeptical about Michigan until I see how the team starts during the non-conference portion. They relied heavily on Brown and Kiser. Like I said before, who fills that gap this year? Are their freshman able to step in?

Not sure if Wisconsin is going to shock people, but they should improve. Serah Williams was a nice surprise as a freshman. Remember seeing her when she played in Canada for Niagara Prep. Also know the coach she worked with there. He's very sound when it comes to fundamentals. Maybe they're building around her to make progress this season. Just a guess.

Reaction Score
Nebraska under performed last year if you ask me. Not sure what I think how they'll perform this season.

Still skeptical about Michigan until I see how the team starts during the non-conference portion. They relied heavily on Brown and Kiser. Like I said before, who fills that gap this year? Are their freshman able to step in?

Not sure if Wisconsin is going to shock people, but they should improve. Serah Williams was a nice surprise as a freshman. Remember seeing her when she played in Canada for Niagara Prep. Also know the coach she worked with there. He's very sound when it comes to fundamentals. Maybe they're building around her to make progress this season. Just a guess.

1). Nebraska definitely underperformed. Not sure what happened. Coach Williams is among my list of coaches that I follow and trust. She had that Nebraska program coming out of the gate looking like a top ten team. Once the Big Ten season started, they were a totally different team. Not sure what happened.

2). I agree. Michigan is iffy. I was not able to attend any summer basketball stuff in Michigan this year. Usually, I get to help with some of their summer basketball workouts and get a chance to see what the roster might look like. This year, no luck and I don't know what they got, other than my little cousin (Macy Brown) and she was pretty decent in high school. We shall see what develops.

3). Coach Moseley does a pretty good job of developing talent and her coaching staff went through some changes over the off season so we shall see how those new voices do with the program. Watching their summer sessions, I like what I saw. They could be a problem.

Reaction Score
Last couple years Iowa has come out of the gate slow and finished red-hot. Not expecting another title game run but I’d place money on that playing out a third time. Clark did her beat Chelsea Gray impression in the NCAAT but I’m not sure that’s sustainable for a full season (not that her season stats are anything to sneeze at…)

Indiana is going to need to replace Berger’s poise, steadiness, and soul, but they picked up an exceptional young transfer post in the portal to give Holmes some help. Assuming she stays healthy Holmes will be a first-team AA again. Indiana also held down the fort just fine without Berger for a stretch last year which should give them an early confidence boost. Side note - I would LOVE to see an Indiana/Notre Dame in-state showdown.

Ohio State did the best job addressing its deficiencies in the portal if you ask me. Taylor isn’t the shooter Mikesell was but she’s an upgrade defensively and can get hot. Taiyer Parks won’t blow you away in the paint but her post defense will be welcomed given OSU couldn’t guard a fly in there last year. And I’m not sure there’s a player I’m more excited to see make a sophomore leap than McMahon.

Illinois and Maryland should have something to say about the conference as well. Jakia Brown-Turner had a forgetful season at NC State last year (I always wondered if she had some sort of nagging injury), but has great one-two punch potential with Sellars. Illinois was the surprise storyline of the league last year and I don’t think they lost any major contributors (but did they pick anyone up?)

My guess for the regular season is:

Indiana
Ohio State
Iowa
Illinois
Maryland

I won’t ever again bet against Clark in a tournament tho

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
1. Ohio State
2. Probably Indiana
14. Minnesota or Wisconsin or Rutgers

Not sure about the rest.
Ellen Oh No You Didnt GIF

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
With the addition of Destiny Adams, Mya Petticord, and Lisa Thompson, not to mention having Smilkle with a year under her belt and Washington now with a full year of running her system, at the very least, the talent level at RU should be higher than last year.

Reaction Score

Not sure if others are familiar with this gentleman's blog. Seems to be focused on the Big 10. Thorough too.

This link provides his thoughts on each team for the upcoming season. Looks like he's publishing them based on last year's standings, descending order.

Reaction Score
Last couple years Iowa has come out of the gate slow and finished red-hot. Not expecting another title game run but I’d place money on that playing out a third time. Clark did her beat Chelsea Gray impression in the NCAAT but I’m not sure that’s sustainable for a full season (not that her season stats are anything to sneeze at…)

Indiana is going to need to replace Berger’s poise, steadiness, and soul, but they picked up an exceptional young transfer post in the portal to give Holmes some help. Assuming she stays healthy Holmes will be a first-team AA again. Indiana also held down the fort just fine without Berger for a stretch last year which should give them an early confidence boost. Side note - I would LOVE to see an Indiana/Notre Dame in-state showdown.

Ohio State did the best job addressing its deficiencies in the portal if you ask me. Taylor isn’t the shooter Mikesell was but she’s an upgrade defensively and can get hot. Taiyer Parks won’t blow you away in the paint but her post defense will be welcomed given OSU couldn’t guard a fly in there last year. And I’m not sure there’s a player I’m more excited to see make a sophomore leap than McMahon.

Illinois and Maryland should have something to say about the conference as well. Jakia Brown-Turner had a forgetful season at NC State last year (I always wondered if she had some sort of nagging injury), but has great one-two punch potential with Sellars. Illinois was the surprise storyline of the league last year and I don’t think they lost any major contributors (but did they pick anyone up?)

My guess for the regular season is:

Indiana
Ohio State
Iowa
Illinois
Maryland

I won’t ever again bet against Clark in a tournament tho
Illinois is that sleeper team. They could be REALLY good and surprise a lot of people and finish 4th in the middle of the pack with others. The Big 10 is always interesting. We will have 2-3 teams that will dominate and 2-3 teams that are bottom dwellers. In that middle pack, they might tie or a game or two that separates them. I think Wisconsin is going to be really good this season. They might rise in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
With the addition of Destiny Adams, Mya Petticord, and Lisa Thompson, not to mention having Smilkle with a year under her belt and Washington now with a full year of running her system, at the very least, the talent level at RU should be higher than last year.
Yup. Rutgers scares me, a little. In the Big Ten, that middle of the pack is always close, and that is where I have Rutgers, right in the middle.

Reaction Score
Illinois is that sleeper team. They could be REALLY good and surprise a lot of people and finish 4th in the middle of the pack with others. The Big 10 is always interesting. We will have 2-3 teams that will dominate and 2-3 teams that are bottom dwellers. In that middle pack, they might tie or a game or two that separates them. I think Wisconsin is going to be really good this season. They might rise in the Big Ten.
Is sleeper a fair description based on how their roster looks this season? I understand your point considering last year was very unexpected. Just wish there was a different word to describe them for 2023-2024.

Reaction Score

Not sure if others are familiar with this gentleman's blog. Seems to be focused on the Big 10. Thorough too.

This link provides his thoughts on each team for the upcoming season. Looks like he's publishing them based on last year's standings, descending order.
His FB says he's an Ohio State grad; appears to be quite young. That being said, seems to have a really, really good handle on Big 10 Women's scene. Great find!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom