Earl Kelley getting props | The Boneyard

Earl Kelley getting props

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1984 beating the Cuse at the Buzzer at the CC. Dom Perno also from Cross was his coach. Anybody remember?Did not know he did time.

C

Chief00

This is awesome. One of the all-time Husky "what might've been..." stories.

To me a great guy with a wonderful sense of humor - Someone I liked playing with and not against. He had an explosive first step - OMG! I have told Calhoun it would have been real interesting if he got Earl as a Freshman and then Cliff. Admittedly, there is a school of thought Cliff needed to lose his "older brother" to have a chance for Calhoun to do his magic. But, if Calhoun could have set Earl on a semi right path they would have been tough if the timing was different.

Reaction Score
1984 beating the Cuse at the Buzzer at the CC. Dom Perno also from Cross was his coach. Anybody remember?Did not know he did time.

He was jumping buildings like Superman. Rough times, he's come a long way good for Earl, great player.

In that news video those warmups with that pitiful Husky, was that awful or what? I hardly remember those. Good picture with him and Tim Coles.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He was on the team when I first started watching UConn basketball. His name will forever be synonymous with the beginning of my life-long love affair with this great university. Glad to hear he's being honored...

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I used to listen to Earl and the Huskies on a transistor radio in bed when I was supposed to be sleeping. My sister was at UCONN at the time. I followed UCONN since she went there so slightly before Earl but I became a fanatic when he joined.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
MVP of UConn basketball history
His arrest spelled the end of Perno and the beginning of JC
He was a good player

Reaction Score
To me a great guy with a wonderful sense of humor - Someone I liked playing with and not against. He had an explosive first step - OMG! I have told Calhoun it would have been real interesting if he got Earl as a Freshman and then Cliff. Admittedly, there is a school of thought Cliff needed to lose his "older brother" to have a chance for Calhoun to do his magic. But, if Calhoun could have set Earl on a semi right path they would have been tough if the timing was different.
What the hell are you talking about?

Reaction Score

I always preferred to use the "if" on Earl had he been with Corny, Mike, Chuck. That's what that team needed.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I went to school with Earl. Amazing talent. Glad to see Wilbur Cross finally honoring him.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
List of Connecticut Huskies men's basketball players with 1000 points - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Earl Kelley, #17 on the UConn scoring list, only played 94 games and scored 1,592 points, averaging 16.9 ppg. Of the 16 players ahead of him, only Wes Bialosuknia and Donyell played fewer games...

Anyone know if Earl is still the only player to ever lead the UConn Huskies in scoring in each of his four years on the team?

Interesting side note, Wes only played three seasons (and no three point shot for him) and he's still #10 on the all-time list! Pretty impressive.

Reaction Score
on the court he was a glimmer of light in a oft-times dark period.

Reaction Score
The amount of of basketball talent in the state from the 70s to the mid 80s was outstanding.
The Drug wars in the late 80's early 90's hurt basketball. The Dixwell Ave courts were loaded day and night even when it snowed in the 50's,60's and 70's.
The drive by shootings had people sleeping on their floors for fear of a stray bullet.
The courts became just a shell of what they have been
Indirectly it helped UConn as moms were happy to send their sons to Storrs from Northeastern Cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom