DWHoops Previews Duke vs Notre Dame | The Boneyard

DWHoops Previews Duke vs Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
http://www.dwhoops.com/Duke/1502151-preview-duke-at-notre-dame.php

I enjoy his previews. Big game for both teams. Notre Dame can't afford to lose if they want a #1 seed and Duke needs win to keeps hope alive to host tournament games. Plenty of teams in running for 3 and 4 seeds.

Wonder if that's strictly true. If ND loses but runs the table after (including ACC tournament), I think they'd still have a compelling case for a #1 seed.

Don't know what to make of Duke. They've went on a nice little run, beating UNC and Louisville since losing to Boston College.

Possible X-factor - Notre Dame was off last week. I'm betting they've worked on a few wrinkles for Duke, especially the press. Plus, they've had plenty of time to work on offense v. zone. And I think the key players will be fresh, especially Loyd who has looked a little leggy at times.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Maryland and Baylor have a great chance to run the table, while Notre Dame may not. Oregon State also has a chance to run the table, although they're still on the outside to get a #1 Seed. I agree that Notre Dame has an inside track for a #1 Seed, but they can't afford any losses along the way.

Wonder if that's strictly true. If ND loses but runs the table after (including ACC tournament), I think they'd still have a compelling case for a #1 seed.

Don't know what to make of Duke. They've went on a nice little run, beating UNC and Louisville since losing to Boston College.

Possible X-factor - Notre Dame was off last week. I'm betting they've worked on a few wrinkles for Duke, especially the press. Plus, they've had plenty of time to work on offense v. zone. And I think the key players will be fresh, especially Loyd who has looked a little leggy at times.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm thinking Maryland and Baylor have a great chance to run the table, while Notre Dame may not. Oregon State also has a chance to run the table, although they're still on the outside to get a #1 Seed. I agree that Notre Dame has an inside track for a #1 Seed, but they can't afford any losses along the way.

The reverse of that is that they have more chances to rack up good wins. The committee already put 3-loss Tennessee over Baylor and Maryland. I think a 3-loss ND could get the same treatment, though I guess recency bias is always a danger.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A loss tonight doesnt hurt either ND's chances of a #1 seed or Duke's chances of hosting games. ND still has Louisville next monday.... and games in the ACC tourney against top 20 opponents. As long as Duke wins out the rest of the regular season games after tonight... and advances to the ACC semis... then they will host.

Its too bad that Duke hasnt been able to field a fully healthy roster vs ND in the past 5 matchups. The 2013 Regional Final without Gray....... last years first matchup without Gray.... the second matchup without Gray and losing Jones to an ACL in the second half.... and the ACC finals obviously without both. Losing Chidom this month was another huge blow........... both on the offensive and defensive end.

Reaction Score
Duke always seems to hav excuses....but the biggest problem is a coach who seems unable to get her players to the next level...not a problem for Muffett. I may well be proved wrong, but I like ND here.

Reaction Score
Duke always seems to hav excuses....but the biggest problem is a coach who seems unable to get her players to the next level...not a problem for Muffett. I may well be proved wrong, but I like ND here.
You just nailed it. I expect the same gameplan we have against other elite teams with no creativity what so ever. If we can trap well within the zone and not allow J loyd to knockdown the elbow shot a lot like Kayla M. did last year against our zone then we may have a shot. Notre Dame 75 Duke 62

Reaction Score
Duke always seems to hav excuses.....
When you make assertions like that you have to be able to back it up. Besides injures to both our starting guards in recent years, what excuses has Duke ever made?

Reaction Score
If team A. has a key player(s) on the shelf when playing team B. at full strength, or the occasional occurrence where the officiating is one-sided enough to affect the outcome, I don't really consider either instance to be an excuse.

I consider it to be historically accurate.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Actually my point was more along the lines of being deprived of some great/intriguing head to head matchups. I would have loved to see a Gray-Diggins head to head matchup in 2013. Last year.. a Senior Gray vs the hotshot freshman PG Allen..... and I would have liked to see how Tall and agile Chidom would have fared against Turner this year.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will want it more and know how to go get it. Because Muffet is a superior coach to Joanie P.

Reaction Score
As to the outcome of this game, I am entirely indifferent. I am, therefore, equally indifferent as to whether or not my prediction/assumption of a ND win pans out. But if I were a Duke fan, I would find Coach P's record in developing talent pretty depressing. Both programs seem to have recruiting success, not least, I presume, because of the allure of both campuses and the educational status of both institutions. But one coach, year in and year out, recruits good players and makes them much better. The other recruits good players (I call this the Elizabeth Williams syndrome) who never seem to reach their potential. Just sayin'....

Reaction Score
As to the outcome of this game, I am entirely indifferent. I am, therefore, equally indifferent as to whether or not my prediction/assumption of a ND win pans out. But if I were a Duke fan, I would find Coach P's record in developing talent pretty depressing. Both programs seem to have recruiting success, not least, I presume, because of the allure of both campuses and the educational status of both institutions. But one coach, year in and year out, recruits good players and makes them much better. The other recruits good players (I call this the Elizabeth Williams syndrome) who never seem to reach their potential. Just sayin'....
If I had a dollar every time I heard this I may be able to drop out of college. Not defending anything at all btw, just making a statement.

Reaction Score
If I had a dollar every time I heard this I may be able to drop out of college. Not defending anything at all btw, just making a statement.
I take your point. I make no claim with respect to originality. But why, pray, is this such an oft-repeated refrain? We UConn fans are obviously spoiled by the presence of a coach who consistently transforms the top recruits in the country into far better players than those who started out as Freshmen. I've heard those players, in interviews, refer to the love/hate relationship they have with a coach who demands their best. But I've never heard any fail to acknowledge that they reached heights they never thought possible, just because of the manner in which they were pushed. I have long thought that Muffett is probably second only to Geno in the consistency with which she makes similar transformations. But Coach P? Isn't it fair for me and for so many others to observe her consistent failings in this regard, given that she really does recruit very high-quality talent?

Reaction Score
It's like she recruits them and then expects them to perform without having to sculpt them in to top players like Geno does. Is she just lazy, or indifferent? Sure doesn't seem to help the girls that go to Duke to be better players.
Can't see ND losing this game. Muffet is way out of McCallie's league. Sure would like to see Duke get a better coach.

Reaction Score
Duke up early 10-2, then 14-5, etc. Then, with Turner on the bench in foul trouble (2), ND buries 4-5 threes. Now it's 29-21 ND, Turner back in. Loyd face guarding Greenwell effectively.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The problem for ND is that after Loyd and Turner, the rest is not so great, not so athletic, not fast, not many great quailties. We have way too many weapons…even if Loyd goes off.

Duke plays like Duke…they triple and quadruple Liz…and Duke does't know what to do…pathetic.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Duke went from up 9 to down 10. They are offensively challenged. It's yet another learning experience. :( I was impressed for about 6 minutes, but then ND made adjustments.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Why will they want it more ?

Because ND is hungrier and building towards a #1 seed in the NCAA's. Because they want to beat EVERYONE. Because they want the #1 conference seed. I could go on, but, basically, they want it more because they want to annihilate everyone in their path. It is who they are. Duke just seems to lack the urgency of a UConn, SCarolina, Notre Dame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom