Dunkirk

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by ZooCougar, Jul 21, 2017.

1. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Talk to me Goose

2. polycom

polycom I heard a beep, who just joined?

Just walked out of the theater it was solid

ZooCougar likes this.
  3. Dream Jobbed 2.0

Dream Jobbed 2.0 Killed Game Threads

Pretty much nonstop tension. A really good watch

4. TheDoggPound

TheDoggPound

Possibly the most over-hyped movie of all-time. I nearly fell asleep it was so bad. You want to watch an actual worthwhile recent WW2 movie just watch Hacksaw Ridge and if you've already viewed it, you're better off rewatching it then paying $ to watch this crap.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  5. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Didn't think Hacksaw Ridge was all that great. It was ok, but certainly not worth a second watch.

6. TheDoggPound

TheDoggPound

No, perhaps not but it didn't make me feel like I wasted 2 hours of my life for nothing which is what I felt like walking out of the theater after Dunkirk.

7. ZooCougar

I had the exact opposite opinion. I usually really like Mel Gibson's movies too. Hacksaw Ridge was too formulaic. Fell asleep watching it on demand.

meyers7 likes this.
  8. BlueHen

BlueHen

I agree. I didn't fall asleep, but there was nothing special about Hacksaw Ridge. Glad I watched it, but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

On the other hand, I never get tired of watching Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

9. TheDoggPound

TheDoggPound

Just watched 'When Trumpets Fade' if you guys like the genre, you'll like that movie. I had never heard of it until I found it on-demand, I'm guessing it must've been overshadowed by Saving Private Ryan since they were released around the same time.

10. ZooCougar

The first scene in Saving Private Ryan is a masterpiece. The movie starts and you are in the living nightmare that was Normandy. Band of Brothers is a classic too. But I didn't much care for The Pacific.

August_West, G0UCONN and BlueHen like this.
  11. G0UCONN

G0UCONN

Saw Dunkirk last night. Way overrated. Mediocre.

One issue was it was hard to tell who was who....

12. SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Just watched When Trumpets Fade this weekend, based on your post. Liked it a lot Dwight Yoakam needs to be in more movies. He had a relatively small role (in terms of screen time), but he can play the role of douche/SOB really well.

13. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

Saw it last night. If you don't get that there are three distinct storylines on different timeframes (week/day/hour - and Nolan tells you this up front), it can be really confusing. Wife really liked it. I found it OK, but it was lacking gravitas due to not explaining the context. A few minutes spent outlining the situation from a global perspective via inserting Churchill and/or Hitler/Goering into the mix would've helped frame the importance and direness of the situation.

14. August_West

August_West Viva la revoluciĆ³n

Im one of the few who liked the pacific better than BoB.

15. John

John Tootski?

The Pacific gets better with repeat viewings.

16. huskyrob1

huskyrob1

I liked them both, tough call on which was better. The casting of John Basilone in the Pacific bothered me though, John Seda made a valiant effort to portray one of our greatest war heros, but he just didn't strike me as the Basilone seen in news reel footage. The rest of the casting was perfect, Chesty Puller, Eugene Sledge and Robert Leckie. The thing I loved about The Pacific was listening to the real Sid Phillips talk before the episodes. God bless Don Malarkey, still going strong at 90 something.

August_West likes this.
  17. G0UCONN

G0UCONN

Few?

You may be only one.

18. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

Pacific is much better the second time around, but I still liked Band of Brothers better.

19. nelsonmuntz

nelsonmuntz Point Center

I saw it last night on HBO and had the same issue about telling characters apart. The sets were pretty much the only way to tell the characters apart, and I had no idea who anyone in the guts of the small ship that was trying to unbeach were.

Also, Cillian Murphy's character does something pretty awful, and eveyrone around him seems to be OK about it. Did I miss something?

20. huskyrob1

huskyrob1

I thought it was a toss up. BoB had much better production values, and a larger budget, lots of planning. The Pacific on the other hand was slapped together fairly quickly to ride BoB's coattails. That being said, except for the casting of Basilone, I thought the producers pulled it off and made a remarkable film about the Pacific war. To film the Battle of Peleliu, the bloodiest battle in Marine Corp history, was daunting but everything came together. The performances by the actors (can't remember their names) who played, Andrew Haldane, Chesty Puller, Leckie, and Sledge were riveting, as were many of the supporting roles. Even the guy who plays Basilone was ok, but he was mis cast IMO.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    August_West likes this.
  21. temery

temery What?

Germany loses

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 7:10 AM
    Steve85 and John like this.