Duke & UConn Post Game Press Conference | The Boneyard

Duke & UConn Post Game Press Conference

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Coach P was complimentary of the UConn players and didn't throw any of her players under the bus.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At @ 16:30 does a member of "Duke" asks a few softball Q's? What's up with that?

At @19:00 reporter says Aja Wilson is 0-4 vs UConn. Can she beat them? Lexi says 'ouch' under her breath.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just want to point out that the Duke coach in this press conference is a very different coach from four years ago.

JPM is a favorite punching bag on this site, but after the 'investigation' and the transfers, and her stated intention of refocusing and changing, this press conference showed a gentler more gracious person. I do not know if this is an outlier from other public appearances this year, but I am impressed.

Reaction Score
I just want to point out that the Duke coach in this press conference is a very different coach from four years ago.

JPM is a favorite punching bag on this site, but after the 'investigation' and the transfers, and her stated intention of refocusing and changing, this press conference showed a gentler more gracious person. I do not know if this is an outlier from other public appearances this year, but I am impressed.
Yeah, much like Kim Mulkey's gracious post-game comments, after failing yet again to coach her team to another Final Four.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I have often echoed your observation over the past two years since she was correctly called out about her behavior and think she has learned or is learning her lessons but would be curious about what those closer to the Duke program have to say. I mean, I know @triaddukefan has a stronger opinion about JPM though I am not sure what @CamrnCrz1974 feels other than his/her support of the team. I would like to see Duke stay relevant in the top 10 regularly and give ND and Louisville competition in the ACC. Odom looked great this tournament and was highly recruited out of HS, now she has to sustain it. Can Coach JPM sustain her efforts. For as much as I want to root and be happy for JPM, she did lay an egg in the ACC Tournament.

Hopefully Tri and Cam can or will give their perspective as they are always very informative.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can Coach JPM sustain her efforts.

The pharmacy has an endless supply of what is holding her devil at bay in public. Actually, it isn't drugs; I have it on good authority that the Duke Bd of Dir. has her husband locked away in an unknown location.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Coach P is better in her post game press conferences, but is she a better coach?

I understood her logic of attempting to limit the number of UConn possessions/shots. It was a good strategy. However, when UConn had the 20 point lead late in the 3rd quarter, should Duke's strategy changed to play a more up tempo game? She played the slow down pace for the complete game. All that did was limit how much UConn was going to win the game by. In the 4th quarter not speeding up play guaranteed a UConn win. If they went up tempo there were two outcomes. UConn starts to hit their shots and Duke loses by more then 13 points. Another outcome is UConn still continues to shoot poorly and with more possessions by Duke they more quickly cut into UConn's lead and they get back into the game. I suggest that while Duke wasn't going to win with either strategy, late in the game up tempo gave them at least a chance to win the game.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Coach P was complimentary of the UConn players and didn't throw any of her players under the bus.
Lexi, who shot 4-11 and scored 10 points in 39 minutes was not quite as gracious, claiming that the UConn defense was "nothing we couldn't handle." Hmm.

Reaction Score
Wow. Just wow. She really is a brand new JPM. At least from everything I've seen recently. Like someone else posted, correct us if we're wrong Cmrn and Triad....but she seems like a new version of Coach and I'm here for it.

She was engaging, personable, beautifully appreciative of Gabby (and the Azurá landmine).

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The pharmacy has an endless supply of what is holding her devil at bay in public. Actually, it isn't drugs; I have it on good authority that the Duke Bd of Dir. has her husband locked away in an unknown location.
So are you saying she is grateful to be shed of him? Or on her best behavior in hopes that he will be returned? Clarification please!

Reaction Score
from Wiki:

"McCallie became the first Division I head coach to win a conference title in four different leagues (the ACC, Big Ten, America East and North Atlantic), and also the first Division I coach to be named conference coach of the year in four different conferences. She was only the second Division I head coach to lead two different programs to 30-win seasons, and also to lead two different programs to a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. McCallie has three National Championship game appearances in her career (one as a head coach and two as an assistant), and has been named conference coach of the year five times. She has coached twelve players who have received All-America honors, and has seen nine of her former players go on to play professionally, five being first round pick. McCallie has also won a gold medal as coach of the 2006 U20 National team and the 2007 U21 World Championship team. Since her first season at Duke in 2007, McCallie has led the Women's basketball team to an overall record of 141–32, a 60–12 record in the ACC alone, and was announced the ACC Coach of the year in 2010 and 2012."

Uh . . . wow.

Reaction Score
She also yesterday said her Azura comments when she left were not how it was reported. I believe her.
I don't. Nan posted the following article which included the audio recording of the interview. She was not misquoted.

Joanne P. McCallie wasn't misquoted about Connecticut, but context is important

That said, it was a totally different person at this press conference. I was much more impressed with her, and I thought she handled the question about the prior interview well. I hope the new JPM lasts. I could root for Duke a little more easily if she exudes this sort of graciousness. I liked her comments on playing three grad students too.

Reaction Score
Thought the same thing. What did Duke do with the real JPM? I knew something was up when she didn't refer to players by their numbers.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
The Duke play reminded my of Jeff's quote about their blowout loss to UConn (shared when he reflected on the St. Francis game). "Do you want to keep it close or do you want a chance at winning?"

We know what choice McCallie made.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score

He is a professor for the cheats at uNC.

Reaction Score
KLS:

You can tell that this group is very mentally prepared at this stage in the tournament. Gabbie readily acknowledges that each game could be her last one in a UConn uniform. Lou calmly notes that she doesn't have to score to contribute. Both dismiss the idea that the earlier win over SC means anything going forward.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom