Duke talk? | The Boneyard

Duke talk?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I’ve been watching ESPN all day and checking my app for scores as well. What is this nonsense they keep saying about “Duke may be eligible for the tourney after all.” I know that they left the ACC tourney - wasn’t it due to covid issues? Virginia left the tourney as well. Duke has been listed as one of the “next four out,” not even “first four out.” Are they being mentioned as possibly back dooring their way in because they would replace Virginia? Wouldn’t one of the “first four out” replace Virginia, or is there some rule where if a team can’t play due to covid then a team from that conference will take their spot? Someone help. I’m disgusted and confused.

Reaction Score
Duke would play if selected. NCAA protocols are different than conference protocols, so they're not going on pause as a team, but would presumably leave players who tested positive at home and only bring players who have 7 straight days of negative tests.

They don't have much chance of being selected.

Reaction Score
Why is this even being mentioned by ESPN? Are they Duke’s lobbying firm? They are “next four out.”
People click on articles about Duke, and there's some uncertainty about NCAA COVID protocols this year so there's some newsworthiness to it.

Further, the NCAA is going to nominate 4 replacement teams beyond the bubble, so being next 4 out (in one guy's opinion) means they have at least a shot of being either in the field or more likely on that replacement team list.

Reaction Score
Why is this even being mentioned by ESPN? Are they Duke’s lobbying firm? They are “next four out.”
It's ESPN's own doing honestly. When their game was cancelled earlier this week the headlines and stories were all reported as Duke misses the NCAA tournament for first time in X years, which framed it as they're out because of Covid. In reality they were out because they couldn't get enough wins anymore

Reaction Score
Duke hasn't missed the dance in 37 (really 24) years....there may be some benefit of the doubt sentiment..

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I get it. But I want them to get in. Just to expose the total hypocrisy of them and the NCAA.
If they get in it will be the ultimate hoax and steal. I would have to go protest somewhere.

Reaction Score
Absolute joke they are anywhere near the bubble.

Even if this was an 80 team tourney they belong nowhere near it.

Screenshot 2021-03-14 11.25.53 AM.png

Reaction Score
It's ESPN's own doing honestly. When their game was cancelled earlier this week the headlines and stories were all reported as Duke misses the NCAA tournament for first time in X years, which framed it as they're out because of Covid. In reality they were out because they couldn't get enough wins anymore
Well, Duke is Duke, eyeballs = $$$ Even here were spending time discussing it???? Duke is a big brand to love or hate. It's true that they haven't made the dance on their record but perhaps their covid record works with adjustments. It's probably also true that no team would want to play them in the first round. Duke = fear on the court.

Reaction Score
They are in. Even if more teams don't drop due to Covid, they are in. The ACC tournament structure gave them an easy win that they needed. They were in when they beat BC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom