Duke Pushing For Top Class | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke Pushing For Top Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As a forever Duke fan I would love to see our offense get a complete overhaul but less
don't forget coach P has been to the final four with virtually no highly recruited players.
She needs to keep recruiting speed play a little less golf and tennis / then coach um up.

Wes33 - you hit the nail on the head. Having the number 1 recruiting class is great for publicity sake, but you have to coach/ teach these recruits to improve. I don't see Coach P coaching them up enough.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I will take Samuelson, Collier, Boykin, and Butler(3yrs) over any other recruiting class in the country.

Good point about Butler. I assume she isn't included in the point totals we see in vowelguy's post above. If she was, wouldn't she be worth at least 500 points?

Reaction Score
It's mind-boggling not have UCONN number 1. I don't know what they're thinking equating a couple of 20-30 recruits to a 3-7 recruit. If Collier is 3 for example - her impact will be much more than the 2 - 20-30 recruits. The thought process is just so wrong.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Blue star sure loves quantity over quality. Per BS UCONN has 3 kids in the top 10 including #1 and 3 (and 9) while L'ville has #2. Still, hard to argue - it's all good and will work itself out on the hoops courts in a few years!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
These rankings are about as reliable as pre-season rankings. Some players prove to be as good as advertised, some prove not to be as good as expected, like Ieshia Small (to date), and some turn out to be better than projected, like Nina Davis.

Reaction Score
Does it really matter ?

Do any comments on here really matter?

In a way to me - I like to look back at history and project forward. Of course I could be way off. But I can remember the Kentucky vs North Carolina game - men's hoop Pitino vs Smith. Pitino's team was rolling in NCAA's and SMith had the 2 superstars. Pitino declared before the game "it's the quantity of players and the bench from us" vs. "the superstars and complimentary players from NC>" It was a great contrast like a boxer vs puncher. UNC won. I think as a general rule the superstars win. Then again the Spurs should have beaten Miami twice. Duncan/ginobili/Parker I wouldn't call them superstars now - maybe Parker was 2 years ago. But that is different.

I enjoy to project. I like to hear how eric and slu and others "project."

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
It's mind-boggling not have UCONN number 1. I don't know what they're thinking equating a couple of 20-30 recruits to a 3-7 recruit. If Collier is 3 for example - her impact will be much more than the 2 - 20-30 recruits. The thought process is just so wrong.
I completely agree with you, hoophuskee.

Does it really matter ?
It matters because it is such a bizarre class ranking system, not because UConn isn't #1, triad. :p

Blue star sure loves quantity over quality. Per BS UCONN has 3 kids in the top 10 including #1 and 3 (and 9) while L'ville has #2. Still, hard to argue - it's all good and will work itself out on the hoops courts in a few years!
We have a winner! Their system gives FAR too much weight to quantity over quality. Look over these classes and rank them based on desirability:

A. 2, 27, 29, 50, 97
B. 1, 4, 9
C. 10, 25, 31, 46 (plus someone about 5-10 who was not ranked)
D. 6, 8, 20
E. 28, 51, 62, 79, 156
F. 33, 77, 92, 116, 121, 225
G. 13, 30, 61, 122
H. 5, 7, 96
I. 3, 63, 76
J. 17, 19, 86

Can you believe that Blue Star ranked them the order in which I presented them? How can class B be ranked below class A? Does class F even belong on this list? Why isn't H higher? Blue Star computed these class rankings based on scores assigned to each player based on their ranking system, so they didn't try to determine how well the class complemented existing players on a team, so their system clearly rewards QUANTITY.

I could easily make the argument that taking a small class like B or D and adding players ranked north of 80 actually weakens the class by diluting it, but Blue Star's system clearly rewards it. I know that vowelguy's system rewards it as well, but not nearly to this extent.

By the way, here are the identities of the classes (which were ranked 1-10):
A. Louisville
B. UConn
C. Duke (unranked player is Angela Salvadores of Spain)
D. Notre Dame
E. Michigan
F. NC St.
G. Kentucky
H. Texas
I. Nebraska
J. Penn St.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You guys are thorough analysts. If anyone is looking to move south and needs work, I think I can find a place for you.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I completely agree with you, hoophuskee.

It matters because it is such a bizarre class ranking system, not because UConn isn't #1, triad. :p

We have a winner! Their system gives FAR too much weight to quantity over quality. Look over these classes and rank them based on desirability:

A. 2, 27, 29, 50, 97
B. 1, 4, 9
C. 10, 25, 31, 46 (plus someone about 5-10 who was not ranked)
D. 6, 8, 20
E. 28, 51, 62, 79, 156
F. 33, 77, 92, 116, 121, 225
G. 13, 30, 61, 122
H. 5, 7, 96
I. 3, 63, 76
J. 17, 19, 86
Nice synopsis. Clearly B and D are the best, which turns out to be UCONN and ND... I'd put C third (which is Duke) if Salvadores came in about 8 or so...

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
I still find the fact that they continually attract top players to play there amazing, and a compliment to Duke. You'd think that some of them (especially the 400 guards entering shortly) would realize that they won't get playing time, for a team that seems to suffer from an overrated coach. At least when UConn is stacked (almost always) and a player expects little playing time, they have a high likelihood of a national championship and growing into it (see Stokes).

Maybe they're all pondering their next steps and transfer decisions? Such a shame.

Reaction Score
Here's how I look at it. Take school H (Texas) with #'s 5, 7 and 96. If they repeated that pattern for four years that would give them 8 top 10 players in the fourth year. How do you think they would do against school G (Kentucky) with 4 years of #'s 13, 30, 61 and 122 ? (I know that makes 16 players, it's an example)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good point about Butler. I assume she isn't included in the point totals we see in vowelguy's post above. If she was, wouldn't she be worth at least 500 points?
Butler is not in the Samuelson, Collier, Boykin class. She will be in the Nurse, Edwards, Ekmark, Williams class.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Joanne's antics over the last season or so may have alarmed the Duke administration as much as they disturbed me.

She may be on a much shorter leach than we imagine.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I think Joanne's antics over the last season or so may have alarmed the Duke administration as much as they disturbed me.

She may be on a much shorter leach than we imagine.

Leach as in sucking the soul from her team?? (I kid...)

Reaction Score
The women's game desperately needs some of the "elite" programs in the country to step up and create a more competitive environment. In theory, who better to do that than Duke? But I can't see that happening so long as McCallie is there. Call it the Elizabeth Williams syndrome, but is there any coach in the game today who can less reliably transform very good talent into great talent?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I still find the fact that they continually attract top players to play there amazing, and a compliment to Duke. You'd think that some of them (especially the 400 guards entering shortly) would realize that they won't get playing time, for a team that seems to suffer from an overrated coach. At least when UConn is stacked (almost always) and a player expects little playing time, they have a high likelihood of a national championship and growing into it (see Stokes).

Maybe they're all pondering their next steps and transfer decisions? Such a shame.

Thats a rather catty, petty, and in my opinion unnecessary comment. Bless your heart

dangelo-barksdale.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Nice synopsis. Clearly B and D are the best, which turns out to be UCONN and ND... I'd put C third (which is Duke) if Salvadores came in about 8 or so...

I wouldnt say that D is hands down ( :rolleyes:) better than C. #8 for Team Espana makes an interesting case. Looking over her bio....she probably has more National Team experience (albeit on a lesser squad) than any of the American high schoolers... and she performed at a high level on each team. Also... this season she is playing for a Pro team... with and against grown women (ex-college players and some former WNBA players). That has to aid in her development... more so than playing with and against high school girls... most of whom will never play a minute of college basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom