Duke @ Oregon St (12) - 12/20/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke @ Oregon St (12) - 12/20/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Slocum led all scorers w/ 21, only starter in double figures (Pivec had 9, rest were no shows pretty much). Got 15, 9 and 8 off the bench from Tudor, Goodman and Grymek.

For Duke Gorecki had 18 and Odom had 17. Nice pair of players plus Boykin (10) is a decent trio to build around.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Beavers' bench a bit better than UConn's though. Megan could use some of Slocum's confidence. From this game, Oregon's apparent weakness is scoring inside the 3 pt line. Live and die by the 3 pt shooting but they were living large tonight.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
beav.jpg

Head bangHead bangHead bang:mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:oops::oops::oops::oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I should have picked up some liquor while I was out Head bang

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Beaver State missed their first 5 threes and then proceeded to shoot 14 of 24 from behind the arc for the rest of the game. Slocum alone was 5 of 8.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
3 point shooting--Duke 1-9 OSU 14-29. Uh, that probably determined the outcome of the game I would think.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Beaver State missed their first 5 threes and then proceeded to shoot 14 of 24 from behind the arc for the rest of the game. Slocum alone was 5 of 8.

That's the thing, I'm surprised when they miss any. They're such a potent 3 point shooting team, they were hitting 43% collectively before this game and I keep thinking they can do better.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another interesting stat assists/TOs

Duke 6/13
OSU 18/10

Reaction Score
Slocum was hot from 3 tonight, but noticed that ball movement was much better with her on the bench. Did not have an assist until the fourth quarter and ended up with only two. NO surprise that she was on the bench when OS made there comeback run in the first. She tries to play too much hero ball. Not necessary with the talent on this team. What they need is a distributor not a shooting guard. Goodman played well until that series in the fourth quarter when she for got there were other players on her team. Taking shots herself except for trying to get the ball to Thopay twice in a row resulting in turnovers and her getting yanked. Pevic has been the most consistent PG this season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to hear lotrader's thoughts, he was at the game.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. Not sure that there is much to add to the commentary here. Duke had a clear height advantage whenever Grymek was out and the key was definitely hostile territory for the Beavs. Odom threatened to get Duke back in the game in the fourth, but coach switched to man and put Katie Mac on her and Kat Tudor's four-point play ended any doubt about the outcome. IMHO, it was Duke's D that got them the initial lead and gave them a chance, but they couldn't control both the key and the perimeter at the same time. Meanwhile, the Beaver D kept a lid on things and - after that miserable first few minutes - never let Duke get a run going.

Reaction Score
A little late with my report after reading everyone else's comments. Here we go!

First, Duke is far better than their record. Duke will win a ton of games in the ACC this year. Having Boykin back is a big deal for Duke. She played over 35 minutes (and didn't start). Duke will finish in the top 4 or 5 in ACC.

Re: OSU:

Folks are worried about Destiny Slocum "fitting in" with the rest of her OSU teammates. Understandably. Folks need to remember, this is her 1st season on the floor with this "established" team. Rueck is coaching her constantly from the sidelines, and, when she comes out of the game. Rueck even got upset with her last night. But, Rueck loves Destiny, and so does everyone else (teammates, fans, media, etc.). Destiny is supremely talented, but still playing a little out of control. But her upside is HUGE, once she understands how to play in OSU's system. I never knew that Destiny was such an amazing 3-point shooter. Fun fact, as a senior in High School Destiny came in 2nd in the all HS 3-point shoot out. She lost to....Mikalya Pivec!

Last night was the first time I left the building feeling positive about Jo Grymek. And really, about Jo Grymek + Maddie Washington who shares the "5" time with Jo. Jo is finally playing within herself, not fouling, changing shots without leaving her feet, and playing with much more confidence. The real test will come when PAC-12 play starts, and Jo has to defend out beyond the free throw line.

Aleah Goodman is just a stud. Someone pointed out how she calms the team down at the point if Destiny is playing out of control. However, the lineup I loved the last couple of games is when Destiny and Aleah Goodman are in the game at the same time. Both of these kids are great passers and amazing 3-point shooters.

Kat Tudor is known for her 3-point shooting. But Kat Tudor's defense is getting to "1st Team Pac-12" status. This kid is fun to watch. At 6', she fights through screens better than anyone on the team. And once Rueck put Katie McWilliams on Odom, in Q4, Odom's contributions were over. At 6'2" inches, KT Mac is an awesome defender. Pivec too!

Beavers still have some work to do...too many unforced turnovers. Still need to work on their rebounding. But all in all, I was very pleased with their play last night. This is a work in progress, but Rueck is a master at developing a team and getting them peaked at the right time. This team has all the elements to go deep again. PAC-12 play is the next test for OSU.

Lastly, Duke is going to win some games. Duke is a good team, with very talented players. I was impressed. I'm not just saying that to appease a certain Duke fan at the Boneyard

Reaction Score
BTW: Gill Coliseum was rocking last night. Couldn't believe over 7000 attended the game, being a Thursday evening, and, during winter break. Gill Coliseum is a tough place to play for any opponent, and I love that Rueck (and his players) always starts the press conference thanking BEAVER NATION.

Reaction Score
Slocum was hot from 3 tonight, but noticed that ball movement was much better with her on the bench. Did not have an assist until the fourth quarter and ended up with only two. NO surprise that she was on the bench when OS made there comeback run in the first. She tries to play too much hero ball. Not necessary with the talent on this team. What they need is a distributor not a shooting guard. Goodman played well until that series in the fourth quarter when she for got there were other players on her team. Taking shots herself except for trying to get the ball to Thopay twice in a row resulting in turnovers and her getting yanked. Pevic has been the most consistent PG this season.
Destiny is getting better in the offense. That over the head pass from behind the half court line to Kat Tudor for a 4-point play was impressive. If you can, go back and look at that overhead pass. Slocum has an extremely strong upper body. Trust in Rueck. He will make Destiny into a 1st team AA. And, both Aleah and Destiny are "shooting" point guards with extreme 3-point range. It is a luxury for any team to have one "shooting" point guard that is also a 3-point sharpshooter.

Reaction Score
Lastly, Duke is going to win some games. Duke is a good team, with very talented players. I was impressed. I'm not just saying that to appease a certain Duke fan at the Boneyard

To play devils advocate, maybe Oregon State is overrated? Maybe Duke is not good and OSU is more of a 20-30 ranked team as opposed to a top 15 team?

Reaction Score
To play devils advocate, maybe Oregon State is overrated? Maybe Duke is not good and OSU is more of a 20-30 ranked team as opposed to a top 15 team?
Certainly worthy of discussion.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That over the head pass from behind the half court line to Kat Tudor for a 4-point play was impressive. If you can, go back and look at that overhead pass. Slocum has an extremely strong upper body.
Very true. Even more impressively, she made a roughly 65-foot buzzer-beater as a freshman at Maryland with that same overhead pass motion. Very, very few women can throw the basketball that far.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A little late with my report after reading everyone else's comments. Here we go!

First, Duke is far better than their record. Duke will win a ton of games in the ACC this year. Having Boykin back is a big deal for Duke. She played over 35 minutes (and didn't start). Duke will finish in the top 4 or 5 in ACC.

1. Great feedback re: the game, the crowd and the Slocum dialogue.
2. I also appreciate you sucking up to @triaddukefan but the over exhuberance on where Duke will finish has me concerned for you as you might be having a memory lapse, there’s ND, Louisville, NC State, Syracuse, Miami, VPI and FSU and even the hated NCheat are also decent this year.
So if upon further reflection, you still feel Duke is a top 4/5 team, I will be glad to discuss a “slight wager”:rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
2. I also appreciate you sucking up to @triaddukefan but the over exhuberance on where Duke will finish has me concerned for you as you might be having a memory lapse, there’s ND, Louisville, NC State, Syracuse, Miami, VPI and FSU and even the hated NCheat are also decent this year.
So if upon further reflection, you still feel Duke is a top 4/5 team, I will be glad to discuss a “slight wager”:rolleyes:
Yeah I was giving that the side-eye too. ND, Louisville, NC State and Syracuse appear to be the clear top 4 in the conference and, for now at least, are clearly better than Duke. Can Duke be competitive among that next layer of 5-8? Hmmm, maybe...

Reaction Score
1. Great feedback re: the game, the crowd and the Slocum dialogue.
I'll wager you 1 x "I HEART Brenda Frese" t-shirt that Duke finishes in the top 5 in ACC this season. I may have to make that shirt myself if I lose this bet.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

If that happens... you'll see me in the stands in the ACC tournament like

NCATFans_original.gif

Reaction Score
Destiny is getting better in the offense. That over the head pass from behind the half court line to Kat Tudor for a 4-point play was impressive. If you can, go back and look at that overhead pass. Slocum has an extremely strong upper body. Trust in Rueck. He will make Destiny into a 1st team AA. And, both Aleah and Destiny are "shooting" point guards with extreme 3-point range. It is a luxury for any team to have one "shooting" point guard that is also a 3-point sharpshooter.

I rewatched the Duke game and Slocum was not as bad as I initially remembered her to have been. I believe I was confusing the Duke game with her showing in TAM game in which the team was significantly better with her on the bench. I still stick with my perspective that she tends to dominate the ball too much based not so much on the Duke game but the season in general. Sort of reminds me of Pivecs play in the beginning of last season. Goodwin also was not as bad in that series where Duke made a min comback. That was mostly on Thropay's play on both offense and defense.

As to Slocum's potential- I was always on board with that. I knew she had the skills necessary to be an elite point, it was just a matter of her focusing less on her own scoring. She tends to have an off guard mentality that is a carry over from high school. That was a nice pass to Tudor, but as I have stated I got weaned on girls high school ball watching Chelsea Gray play and she sort of became my top end templet for a point guard. She is in my opinion the most complete and best all around point in the game. That sort of pass was normal for her and, for that matter, all elite point guards. Destiny has the physical qualities to be an elite point. which is why she can make that sort of pass. What she needs to develop is the point guard mind set. All through high school Gray never averaged more than 14.5 points a game on a team that consistently scored around a hundred points a game. She could have averaged 30 if she chose too. Destiny appears to have all the physical skills necessary to be an elite point and I like you am sure that Scott will work on her finding a balance in respect to running the offense and working for her own shot. Which is why he takes her out and sits her down when she get a bit out of control.

I am glad that someone finally recognized how good a one on one defender Tudor really is. This last game is probable the first this season that she has reverted back to the defensive focus she had all of last season. She played like that consistently all of last year. There was only one player she covered who she didn't lock down and that was Durr. Unfortunately her efforts were over shadowed by K Mac. who also was lock down but had more blocks. I sort of suspect that Scott has not focused on defense as much as usual, being more concerned with getting the new rotation installed. I don't think Mc Williams was as focused as last year either. Kat also works really hard getting open for shots when the other team focuses on her defensively.

I know I was hard on Pivec last season, but except for the TAM game, she has been very effective when she does run the offense. More than she ever was most of last season. I think the light came at the end of last season. Goodwin also has improved, especially on defense which was her weakness last year.

Glad you also recognize that against the right team Grymek can be very effective. In the TAM game she took away their inside game that had been dominating before she entered the game. Her size alone can be very intimidating . I noticed that Duke tried to counter by putting in their big post. I think Jo can be very effective against teams like Baylor and Miss St who have very big post players who dominate other teams with their size and strength. She has both the height and size that they wouldn't over power her. Defense is all about footwork and position and she seems to be getting more comfortable in both respects. If she can consistently establish proper position she can be a force defensively and on the boards. That is where her upside lies. Against quicker teams they could just play their short line up. I would also hope that by the time the playoff roll around that Morris might be ready to make a contribution against the quicker teams.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
BTW: Gill Coliseum was rocking last night. Couldn't believe over 7000 attended the game, being a Thursday evening, and, during winter break. Gill Coliseum is a tough place to play for any opponent, and I love that Rueck (and his players) always starts the press conference thanking BEAVER NATION.

Gill is one of my favorite places to watch on TV for WCBB. Not sure if its the lighting.... but I do like those old school barns like Gill and Cassell Coliseum (VPI)

Yeah I was giving that the side-eye too. ND, Louisville, NC State and Syracuse appear to be the clear top 4 in the conference and, for now at least, are clearly better than Duke. Can Duke be competitive among that next layer of 5-8? Hmmm, maybe...

I think it will be a dog fight among FSU, GaTech, VPI, Duke, and those baby blood cheaters for the 6 through 9 seeds and avoiding playing on the dreaded Wednesday of the ACC tournament. The ACC schedule does Duke no favors. First game at State.... then home vs Louisville Head bang Then at the pesky Jackets.... then home vs the Hurricanes Head bang

Reaction Score
Gill is one of my favorite places to watch on TV for WCBB. Not sure if its the lighting.... but I do like those old school barns like Gill and Cassell Coliseum (VPI)

I think it will be a dog fight among FSU, GaTech, VPI, Duke, and those baby blood cheaters for the 6 through 9 seeds and avoiding playing on the dreaded Wednesday of the ACC tournament. The ACC schedule does Duke no favors. First game at State.... then home vs Louisville Head bang Then at the pesky Jackets.... then home vs the Hurricanes Head bang
Why do you continually call Virginia Tech VPI? Is it a joke, or do you just think of them by their old name. My grandson goes there and he jokes that they’ve had numerous names over their long history.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Why do you continually call Virginia Tech VPI? Is it a joke, or do you just think of them by their old name. My grandson goes there and he jokes that they’ve had numerous names over their long history.

I just think of them by their old name...well their name I was familiar with during of my youth (1980s) I had a few items with the full name on it.... always stuck with me. I liked it better when they called themselves the Gobblers.... you seldom here that now.... at least on a national level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom