Duke keeps getting recruits | The Boneyard

Duke keeps getting recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Way way way too early..... we dont even have a commit in the class of 2015 yet.

I'll be almost 50 by the time she is a senior :( I feel old now

HGN

Reaction Score
Duke better get her now while she doesn't know any better. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
does this hurt recruiting guards in 2015 and 2016 ?

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke better get her now while she doesn't know any better. :rolleyes:

mad dog.jpg

Reaction Score
She can pledge all she wants, there is no guarantee she will qualify and that they will take her :)

She will definitely get in. Duke is known to lower its admittance standard for scholarship athletes to around the national average.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
UConn keeps getting recruits...

Iwanna waittables @I'mstuckieindukieland1999 2m
ASGR's #1 2025, Breanna I'minthemoodtocrushadukie 6'7" G from podunk elementary school, Opossum Trot, KY has given her verbal pledge to UConn

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
She will definitely get in. Duke is known to lower its admittance standard for scholarship athletes to around the national average.

Not quite accurate. While some exceptions are made for students who might not otherwise got in, most Duke WCBB players have the academic scores/profiles to get into Duke, even if they did not play basketball (as evidence by the fact many of them were admitted to Stanford). Usually, there are two players on the roster per year who would be the "exceptions" I referenced.

Reaction Score

ASGR's #1 2025, Breanna I'minthemoodtocrushadukie 6'7" G from podunk elementary school, Opossum Trot, KY has given her verbal pledge to UConn

Strange but true, said town exists, though its legal name is simply "Possum Trot". In the Greater Paducah Metropolitan Area.

Reaction Score
Not quite accurate. While some exceptions are made for students who might not otherwise got in, most Duke WCBB players have the academic scores/profiles to get into Duke, even if they did not play basketball (as evidence by the fact many of them were admitted to Stanford). Usually, there are two players on the roster per year who would be the "exceptions" I referenced.

who are these many you are referring to? In fact, since Tara has been at Stanford, the number of student/athletes who were admitted to Stanford, but chose another school is less 10. By memory, 3-4 went to UCLA, 1 or 2 to UConn, 1 to ND, and Brooke Smith counts as one to Duke, but she came back to Stanford. And she said the admissions process at Duke was much easier than Stanford.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I ran into an Iron Duke at a men's Final Four awhile back. He was very nice and condecending to us. He was said that each team was only allowed one exempted player. He added, "That's why we can never get a decent tailback."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I won't believe it until I see a tweet from JPM.

Good get for Duke. Being in NC this girl will get to go to a lot of games and will probably feel like part of the team before she enrolls.

JPM keeps reeling them in at Duke. This year really was bad luck for Duke. They certainly had the talent to compete for a trip to Nashville.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I won't believe it until I see a tweet from JPM.

Good get for Duke. Being in NC this girl will get to go to a lot of games and will probably feel like part of the team before she enrolls.

JPM keeps reeling them in at Duke. This year really was bad luck for Duke. They certainly had the talent to compete for a trip to Nashville.

Historically Duke doesnt get many players from North Carolina... so this is a huge get. The lure of the effeminate blue is usually too strong to overcome when it comes to top NC players... usually. Since I've been following Duke women... I can only recall a handful of NC players that stepped on the floor for us. Joy Cheek, Chante Black, incoming freshmaen Azura Stevens... maybe one or two more that Ive missed. Of course there is Jenna Frush, but she is a walk-on, not on scholarship.

Reaction Score
I ran into an Iron Duke at a men's Final Four awhile back. He was very nice and condecending to us. He was said that each team was only allowed one exempted player. He added, "That's why we can never get a decent tailback."

He was full of you know what then. Here is an excerpt from the Duke Chronicle.

The article speaks for itself.

"For the Class of 2007, 768 male non-athletes were admitted to Duke with an average SAT score of 1,438, while 42 recruited athletes averaged 1,172. For females, 786 non-athletes averaged 1,403, versus 37 athletes' 1,258.

That's a 266-point gap for males and a 145-point gap for females.

And in case you're interested in a team-by-team breakdown, the eight men's baseball team recruits averaged 1,206 that year, while 22 football players averaged 1,063 and the five men's basketball players came in last at 997. All 14 other recruited male athletes averaged 1,258.

Considering the national average for the 2002 SAT was 1,026, it's a safe bet that few (if any) non-athletes could even get their foot in the door with stats like the ones above.

Yet the most elite recruits (read: prospective basketball players) can be tentatively admitted before they've finished their junior year of high school; all that's needed is a PSAT score and freshman and sophomore grades.

This must have been how our beloved Sean Dockery got admitted with a 2.3 GPA and an ACT score of 15; at the time, his credentials didn't even meet NCAA minimums of a 2.5 GPA and 17 on the ACT.

Which brings me to my point: Although I, too, will never forget the night Sean Dockery beat VT, this snapshot of our admissions process is a University-wide disgrace.

Indeed, is it really too much to ask for these student-athletes' scores to come within shouting distance of their classmates?

And can we really be an "academic" University when our lofty standards are so clearly subject to the athletic department's needs?

But most of all, why should non-athletes like myself accept the argument that sporting ability should outweigh inferior academic credentials?"

You can read the rest at http://www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/10/20/Columns/Fight.Blue.Devils.Fight-2379823.shtml

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Reading that dopey nonsense brings back one of Geno's best lines. The one where he said, "that 'of the South' is quite the qualifier."

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Rumor has it that Baylor is about to get a verbal from Ida Schotmoore, who flew under that radar because her teammate, Ima Schootlotz, had a much more impressive PPG average. Some accused her of being a volume shooter, which she denied over and over and over.

Reaction Score
He was full of you know what then. Here is an excerpt from the Duke Chronicle.

The article speaks for itself.

"For the Class of 2007, 768 male non-athletes were admitted to Duke with an average SAT score of 1,438, while 42 recruited athletes averaged 1,172. For females, 786 non-athletes averaged 1,403, versus 37 athletes' 1,258.

That's a 266-point gap for males and a 145-point gap for females.

And in case you're interested in a team-by-team breakdown, the eight men's baseball team recruits averaged 1,206 that year, while 22 football players averaged 1,063 and the five men's basketball players came in last at 997. All 14 other recruited male athletes averaged 1,258.

Considering the national average for the 2002 SAT was 1,026, it's a safe bet that few (if any) non-athletes could even get their foot in the door with stats like the ones above.

Yet the most elite recruits (read: prospective basketball players) can be tentatively admitted before they've finished their junior year of high school; all that's needed is a PSAT score and freshman and sophomore grades.

This must have been how our beloved Sean Dockery got admitted with a 2.3 GPA and an ACT score of 15; at the time, his credentials didn't even meet NCAA minimums of a 2.5 GPA and 17 on the ACT.

Which brings me to my point: Although I, too, will never forget the night Sean Dockery beat VT, this snapshot of our admissions process is a University-wide disgrace.

Indeed, is it really too much to ask for these student-athletes' scores to come within shouting distance of their classmates?

And can we really be an "academic" University when our lofty standards are so clearly subject to the athletic department's needs?

But most of all, why should non-athletes like myself accept the argument that sporting ability should outweigh inferior academic credentials?"

You can read the rest at http://www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2006/10/20/Columns/Fight.Blue.Devils.Fight-2379823.shtml
Nice find.

Reaction Score
I thought if you were a student athlete and had the qualifying test scores (SAT/ACT) and GPA you can get into any school in the country except Stanford and the Ivy League….
isn't the minimum requirement like a 2.o GPA and a 1000 SAT score?…..

Reaction Score
I thought if you were a student athlete and had the qualifying test scores (SAT/ACT) and GPA you can get into any school in the country except Stanford and the Ivy League….
isn't the minimum requirement like a 2.o GPA and a 1000 SAT score?…..

Each school still has their own admittance criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom