Duke-Clemson | The Boneyard

Duke-Clemson

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Would love a blind resume test between UConn and Duke right now. Some talking heads are giving UConn a 50% chance to make the tourney, so where does that put Duke?

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Team A
RPI: 30
SOS: 58
Overall: 12-3
Top50: 3-2
Top100: 4-3

Team B
RPI: 32
SOS: 56
Overall: 12-3
Top50:2-1
Top100: 4-2

A is Duke, B UConn.
Thanks. Well, at this very moment these 2 teams are pretty much clones resume wise. I'd argue that UConn's best win (Florida) is better than Duke's best win (Michigan, who technically is lower than Harvard in the RPI), but I'd also say that UConn's lose to Houston is way worse than anyone Duke has fallen too. So again, these 2 teams are pretty much even.

With that in mind, anyone with an Insider account should take a look at this: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...st-ncaa-tournament-bracket-college-basketball

On the S Curve, Luanrdi currently has Duke at 12 and UConn at 30. Also, Pitt is 24 (no top 50 wins) and UCLA is 28 (best win is UC Santa Barbara). Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. If there was ever a case of the name (and conference logo...) on the front of the jersey mattering more than results on the court, it's Lunardi's current S Curve. Simply negligent.

Aaaaaaanyway, rant over. This crap doesn't matter right now, it's January. UConn needs to beat UCF tonight and then move on to the Memphis game.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Well, at this very moment these 2 teams are pretty much clones resume wise. I'd argue that UConn's best win (Florida) is better than Duke's best win (Michigan, who technically is lower than Harvard in the RPI), but I'd also say that UConn's lose to Houston is way worse than anyone Duke has fallen too. So again, these 2 teams are pretty much even.

With that in mind, anyone with an Insider account should take a look at this: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...st-ncaa-tournament-bracket-college-basketball

On the S Curve, Luanrdi currently has Duke at 12 and UConn at 30. Also, Pitt is 24 (no top 50 wins) and UCLA is 28 (best win is UC Santa Barbara). Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. If there was ever a case of the name (and conference logo...) on the front of the jersey mattering more than results on the court, it's Lunardi's current S Curve. Simply negligent.

Aaaaaaanyway, rant over. This crap doesn't matter right now, it's January. UConn needs to beat UCF tonight and then move on to the Memphis game.

What's really going to kill UConn in comparisons like these is that they've lost to three teams that frankly aren't very good - Stanford and SMU are probably on the wrong side of the bubble and Houston is straight terrible.

But, I generally agree. Duke's resume right now is very underwhelming and they're in the top 25 right now because of their name and only their name.

Reaction Score
Important for us to beat the ranked teams in front of us, hope we bring it.

BUHusky

Reaction Score
What's really going to kill UConn in comparisons like these is that they've lost to three teams that frankly aren't very good - Stanford and SMU are probably on the wrong side of the bubble and Houston is straight terrible.

But, I generally agree. Duke's resume right now is very underwhelming and they're in the top 25 right now because of their name and only their name.
I agree that the stain of the Houston loss will not go away, no matter how hard UConn scrubs. I also think the Stanford lose will probably get worse as they go through the PAC12 season and most likely get beaten up a lot.

However, I don't think the SMU loss is really that bad at all. They're currently the first team out on the S-curve. One of their loses was to a pretty decent Virginia team by a few points. Their biggest problem so far is they played a crap OOC schedule. The AAC is actually going to give them a chance to build their resume and gain some scalps. They still have 2 games left against both Louisville and Memphis, and the return games against UConn and Cincy, plus the conference tournament. If they add to that UConn win and hold serve against the lower half of the league, the NCAA tourney might be in reach for SMU.

Duke's loss today to Clemson is pretty damn bad and their loss to Notre Dame isn't getting any better the way ND has played this season. Duke's currently inflated status in the polls and projections is strictly based on name and nothing else.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
I agree that the stain of the Houston loss will not go away, no matter how hard UConn scrubs. I also think the Stanford lose will probably get worse as they go through the PAC12 season and most likely get beaten up a lot.

However, I don't think the SMU loss is really that bad at all. They're currently the first team out on the S-curve. One of their loses was to a pretty decent Virginia team by a few points. Their biggest problem so far is they played a crap OOC schedule. The AAC is actually going to give them a chance to build their resume and gain some scalps. They still have 2 games left against both Louisville and Memphis, and the return games against UConn and Cincy, plus the conference tournament. If they add to that UConn win and hold serve against the lower half of the league, the NCAA tourney might be in reach for SMU.

Duke's loss today to Clemson is pretty damn bad and their loss to Notre Dame isn't getting any better the way ND has played this season. Duke's currently inflated status in the polls and projections is strictly based on name and nothing else.

Duke played bad, but Clemson isn't terrible. Middle of pack ACC team

BUHusky

Reaction Score
Duke played bad, but Clemson isn't terrible. Middle of pack ACC team
Well Clemson does have the 3rd worst RPI in the ACC...so I wouldn't exactly call them middle of the pack.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't call SMU a bad loss, either. Road games are tough. But if I were ranking the seven combined losses between the two schools on a scale of best to worst, I'd go:

1. Arizona (Neutral)
2. Kansas (Neutral)
3. @ SMU
4. @ Clemson
5. @ Notre Dame
6. Stanford
7. @ Houston

UConn has the two worst losses on the list. The win against Florida is probably better than any Duke has recorded, though. UConn might have a slightly better resume right now due to the fact that they only have three losses to Duke's four.

Reaction Score
SMU 31 on kenpom, Clemson 40...not much difference but shows smu is a tough out

Reaction Score
Can there be a tournament without Duke? No matter their seed I'm certain they will end up with a home court advantage

Reaction Score
10, 13 and 14 rebounds from 3 Clemson starters vs Puke……….we think we have issues on the interior?

Reaction Score
Duke could lose double digit games. Have Fruit twice, Pitt, FSU, UNCcheat twice, Virginia and ACC tournament. Maryland and BCU could give them a tussle. Not a tourney lock. As losing continues the star one and done player will start looking ahead to next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom