Duke’s Joanne P. McCallie resigns

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
snoopy_happy_dance.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I always laugh at people that aren't a big believer in something until that something benefits them.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Bizarre timing, a midsummer resignation. There was no way she was getting an extension.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Caldwell doesn’t make a lot of sense, but I really do think she could be successful at the right school.

She recruited well at UCLA and she always has LSU playing above their talent level. She just hasn’t gotten the talent to join her at LSU. Doesn’t matter now, but I think if she had gotten the Tenn job over Holly—we would already be “back”. (FWIW I like Kellie and am happy with her so far, but I don’t think we would’ve been in this hole with the right hire after Pat.)

Could see Langley being a big candidate for Duke. Wonder if Jolette Law would want another go at being a head coach. Also bet Joy Cheek will be in play.

Reaction Score
Beth Cunningham is available if Duke could stand an ND grad. She was passed over by ND when Niele Ivey replaced Muffet and she's ripe for a bigger job with something to prove. I think she'd do well and knows the ACC as well as a Universitys with very high academic requirements.

Resume in 9 yrs as head coach at VCU: 167-115 (59.2%), last 5 years took them to post season (2008-12)
Left VCU to become one of Muffet's top assistant . Resume at ND: 259-41 (86.3%). In her 8 years at ND was in every NCAA tourney played with 1 National Championship and 5 Final 4's. Top 3 players she recruited and coached at ND are all still in the WNBA: 2019 #1 draft pick Jackie Young, teammate Marina Mabrey, and WNBA All Star Kayla Mcbride.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Per a possible "next up" at Duke, I I immediately thought of two young coaches with some Dayton pedigree:

- Shauna Green, current head coach of the Dayton Flyers. She's done great work there.

- Megan Duffy, who is from the area, and of course has the ND pedigree. While she's only had one year at Marquette, what a year it was. If I'm White, I at least bring her in for an interview.

Also:

- Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, the current HC at Boston College. Young, eager, dynamic. Don't know how this would go over (poaching an ACC rival), but White works in strange ways.

- Katie Meier, HC at Miami. Another ACC rival but she's a Duke alum.

- Joanne Boyle, the former UVA and U-Cal Head Coach who retired to ensure her adopted daughter (from Africa) could stay in this country. Success! It worked. She's still relatively young and unlike a few folks on this board, I think she did a ok job at UVA. She recruited a good senior class (Willoughby was her find).

- Tina Langley, HC at Rice. She's made that school relevant with transfers and smart recruiting. Prior to that, she was at Maryland, so she knows the Atlantic area.

Lastly, I always had a nightmare that the Duke job would open up before ND's and Niele Ivey might end up there. Or that Niele and Courtney Banghart would be fighting it out for the interview. Now, they're the rivals! Timing can be everything.

Stay tuned...this will be interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beth Cunningham is available if Duke could stand an ND grad. She was passed over by ND when Niele Ivey replaced Muffet and she's ripe for a bigger job with something to prove. I think she'd do well and knows the ACC as well as a Universitys with very high academic requirements.

Resume in 9 yrs as head coach at VCU: 167-115 (59.2%), last 5 years took them to post season (2008-12)
Left VCU to become one of Muffet's top assistant . Resume at ND: 259-41 (86.3%). In her 8 years at ND was in every NCAA tourney played with 1 National Championship and 5 Final 4's. Top 3 players she recruited and coached at ND are all still in the WNBA: 2019 #1 draft pick Jackie Young, teammate Marina Mabrey, and WNBA All Star Kayla Mcbride.
The optics of Beth being passed over for the ND job and being replaced by Coquese Washington on the coaching staff for undisclosed reasons doesn't make her a viable candidate (IMO).

Dillon77

Reaction Score

They key there is how well does Duke AD Kevin White know Beth Cunningham? He was AD at ND from 2000-2008, when Beth had already graduated and was playing professionally and/or getting into coaching.
Still, easy check for him to make with Muffet McGraw and/or current ND AD Jack Swarbrick.

If there's a young ND Coach he does know well, it would be one Megan Duffy (see my post), who was playing for the Irish while White was in South Bend. She's only had one year at Marquette, but she's been beyond solid in three years with Miami (Ohio) and Marquette.

Stay tuned!

Reaction Score
The optics of Beth being passed over for the ND job and being replaced by Coquese Washington on the coaching staff for undisclosed reasons doesn't make her a viable candidate (IMO).
Optics are one thing, but having somehting to prove is sometimes more valuable. Ivery was proabbaly the #1 choice for an assitant being promoted. If Beth wanted a head coach job instead of being someone junior to her as the top assistant certainly makes sense that she's be hungry. Given Covid you need to be creatibve on choices and qualifications. Beth is still very young (only 45) and id she wants to be a head coach again and Duke wants a proven winner over a period of time, she'd be a good choice.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big off season continues. Kind of wish this happened 5 years for Duke's sake.

Reaction Score
They key there is how well does Duke AD Kevin White know Beth Cunningham? He was AD at ND from 2000-2008, when Beth had already graduated and was playing professionally and/or getting into coaching.
Still, easy check for him to make with Muffet McGraw and/or current ND AD Jack Swarbrick.

If there's a young ND Coach he does know well, it would be one Megan Duffy (see my post), who was playing for the Irish while White was in South Bend. She's only had one year at Marquette, but she's been beyond solid in three years with Miami (Ohio) and Marquette.

Stay tuned!
Don't you think White is angling for Swofford's job?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Don't you think White is angling for Swofford's job?

Well, he could be, but isn't Swofford still on the job at least for part/most of the upcoming academic year?
Plus, he might be a tad busy at it, given the circumtances!

In a similar vein, I'm still thinking this replacement job is Kevin White's gig. He's gotta make a good hire, with North Carolina (Banghart), ND (Ivey) and BC (Bernabei-McNamee) all having stellar young coaches on board.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think she did the right thing. Very similar to Coach Karen Aston's situation at Texas going into the 2019-20 season in the final year of her contract, and we saw how that turned out.

Wouldn't surprise me if Duke hires an interim head coach for one season, although that does hurt recruiting. Maybe Gail Goestenkors or Karen Aston would be interested in stepping in for one season . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom