Duke’s Celeste Taylor Enters Transfer Portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke’s Celeste Taylor Enters Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Both Dorka and Lou played college basketball for 5 full seasons. Absent the extra Covid year, neither would have been eligible to play this season.
Lou played 4 years at Fairfield, transferred to UConn as a Grad student. COVID year or not, she could have taken this same path.

Dorka played 3 years at OSU, transferred to UConn as a Grad student, but had an extra year of eligibility because of the COVID year. It benefitted Dorka because she left OSU a year earlier, not Lou.

Reaction Score
Lou played 4 years at Fairfield, transferred to UConn as a Grad student. COVID year or not, she could have taken this same path.
I don’t think this is right. Pre-Covid, players could get 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. Without the Covid extension, Lou could not have played a 5th year. Her eligibility would have been exhausted even though she’d used only 4 years to do it.

Reaction Score

Dorka played 3 years at OSU, transferred to UConn as a Grad student, but had an extra year of eligibility because of the COVID year. It benefitted Dorka because she left OSU a year earlier, not Lou.
Prior to covid, you were only allowed to have 4 years of actively playing. Perhaps one of the years the player redshirted, by choice or injury. And in that case, they could get a fifth year as a grad student. But...if they played all 4 years as an undergrad, they could not play a 5th year as a grad as Lou did. That was solely because of covid.

Covid has allowed players to actively play for 5 years, which was not the case prior.

Reaction Score

Grad student status does not affect how many years of eligibility you have. It only impacted, or used to, how quickly you could play at your new school. It does not add extra eligibility.

Reaction Score
Not sure how well this observation will be taken by some on this forum, but Kara Lawson is starting to remind me of Brenda Frese but without the NCAAT or the Final Fours…lots of star transfers out and lots of transfers in, lots of assistants leaving and new assistants having to come in, and seemingly winning regardless.

I admire Coach Lawson with what she is doing in only three years, now entering her fourth year. She is recruiting some of the 5 & 4 Star players and getting some of those players but she is also getting those 3 Star players and slowly developing those players.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Sorry but that’s not correct. After 4 years at Fairfield, Lou’s college career was over, without the additional Covid year, which she used to transfer to UConn. Dorka, having graduated from tOSU in 3 years, would have only been afforded the opportunity to play 1 season at UConn without the additional Covid year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And the grad transfer immediate eligibility is still in play and will be far into the future, as if a student transfers once in this new universe, and they graduate, they can again transfer without sitting out a year if they haven't used up their eligibilty which will soon revert to 4 years as the 2021 season players cycle through - it is basically the only way to make two transfers now because the NCAA has locked down the waiver process for a second free transfer to minimal exceptional circumstances, that do not include having a scholarship pulled by your second team, or coaching changes, or anything except extreme hardship (family/player documented health.)

Players like Taylor (with 5 years of eligibilty) are using this graduate transfer loophole already.

Reaction Score
She might not be looking at this extra year as a BB year as much as maybe another level in her education. I don't see her getting drafted next year high enough to stick but going to a Blue Blood academic school would be a move you would expect from a Duke graduate.

Reaction Score
I am supportive to the point where if a player wants to leave, they can and should be able to. I am not supportive of not sitting out, and less of multiple transfers. Kids are allowed to make mistakes and change their minds of course, but to pubically announce they were coming back to only pivot a short time later, from a player who is a starter and contibutor, who already saw two teammates transfer out from the backcourt, just makes me shake my head. I'd question taking her on as a player but I'm not a coach who would need to be concerned about it.
I'm ok with transfers at the players discretion too. As for not having to sit out a year, I believe that's only after the very first transfer. For subsequent transfers they sit out a year unless they win an appeal for special circumstances such as an issue with the head coach or program.

Not every recruit gets the college choice right -- most are literally still children when they choose, and not all have the advantage of engaged, savvy parents. I think the first free transfer is a good thing. And I think sitting out for repeat transfers is also good thing too, it incentivized better decision making.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Taylor to OSU - link to new school thread:

sun

Reaction Score
I doubt that Taylor chose Ohio State because they beat UConn since she should know that's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good move by Taylor. She’ll step into the starting spot that’s open due to the graduation of Mikesell. While she’s not the shooter that Mikesell is, Taylor’s defensive ability will fit nicely with tOSU’s pressure defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom