Duke’s Celeste Taylor Enters Transfer Portal | The Boneyard

Duke’s Celeste Taylor Enters Transfer Portal

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yet another “double transfer” basketball nomad who started out traveling a long way from HS in NY to play at Texas, then on to Duke and now will use her 5th year of eligibility to play somewhere else.

While I don’t begrudge any athlete the opportunity afforded them by the extra Covid year. I will be happy when the 5th year of eligibility goes away after the 2024-25 season. It has made coaches lazy when it comes to recruiting and developing kids out of HS and it’s terribly unfair to any HS recruit from 2021 on, who has to compete with 5th year players for PT.

Reaction Score
I'd be in favor in getting rid of the Covid year at this point. Few of the top players you'd really want to have back for an extra season are using it anyway. It was fine to let players who were seniors in 2020 and robbed of their last full season or a chance at a championship to get an extra year, but it's hard for me to feel the same way about someone that was a freshman or sophomore in 2020.

Reaction Score
Sigh. Do some posters still think the ability for players to move anytime without sitting out is a good thing? Like why announce coming back for year 5 with no mention of leaving only to bolt a few weeks later?

I have regularly said there are valid reasons to transfer and I don't blame a player who experienced a coaching change or even wants more PT but some of this is ridiculous. There weren't players who were rising seniors and starters for highly competitive programs who transferred out like this before.

Okay, I'm done complaining for now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sigh. Do some posters still think the ability for players to move anytime without sitting out is a good thing? Like why announce coming back for year 5 with no mention of leaving only to bolt a few weeks later?

I have regularly said there are valid reasons to transfer and I don't blame a player who experienced a coaching change or even wants more PT but some of this is ridiculous. There weren't players who were rising seniors and starters for highly competitive programs who transferred out like this before.

Sadly, it’s time for me to impart a bit of philosophical wisdom.

It is what it is……

While I suspect that doesn’t make you feel a whole lot better about what’s going on with the transfer portal, I figure it was worth a try. ;)

Reaction Score
I actually feel for Celeste. She made a poor choice initially — never really a good fit at Texas (I say this as a born Texan). The move to Duke could have been a better situation if they’d developed a better offensive game. I think she was weary of just playing fierce D. I hope she gets this choice right, wherever she ends up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I actually feel for Celeste. She made a poor choice initially — never really a good fit at Texas (I say this as a born Texan). The move to Duke could have been a better situation if they’d developed a better offensive game. I think she was weary of just playing fierce D. I hope she gets this choice right, wherever she ends up.
Taylor is now a “one year rental” for some lucky program that needs a shooting guard. tOSU would be a really nice fit now that Mikesell is heading to the W, and everyone else is coming back.

Reaction Score
Taylor is now a “one year rental” for some lucky program that needs a shooting guard. tOSU would be a really nice fit now that Mikesell is heading to the W, and everyone else is coming back.
Taylor has never shot over 33% from three and is a 30% career average 3pt shooter and never shot over 37% from the field. Who wants that in a shooting guard?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Per ESPN, also considered prior to committing to TX - Stanford, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Tennessee, however her wants/needs may be completely different now then back in 2019.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sadly, it’s time for me to impart a bit of philosophical wisdom.

It is what it is……

While I suspect that doesn’t make you feel a whole lot better about what’s going on with the transfer portal, I figure it was worth a try. ;)
As a wise man once said....this too shall pass. Until then (as a head coach) you make the necessary adjustments and do what you have to do and bring in the best players you can get to fill out your roster either through the portal or recruitment. The 2024-2025 season will be here before you know it, and things return back to normal.

sun

Reaction Score
The difference between making 30, 33 or 35 three point shots per 100 is miniscule.
One would think that Taylor can make up for any shooting disparity with her defense.
She's only the very good player that she is.

Reaction Score

Coaches have done this for years, with little to no penalty, but players can't - ok. I think back on the dark ages when I played D-1 football and couldn't even have a PT job for some extra money (much less leave the school to play somewhere else without penalty). Please rethink "fairness."

Reaction Score
Lol. Agreed. I'm just old and punchy this morning.
Most basketball fans support player's ability to transfer and understand the benefits it provides players, coaches and teams. Personal opinion - the players and teams that benefit the most are relatively limited. As with most NCAA rules, the Transfer Portal will likely morph over time and hopefully the next version will keep the primary benefits while fine tuning some of the speed bumps that currently make this a controversial program.

Reaction Score
Most basketball fans support player's ability to transfer and understand the benefits it provides players, coaches and teams. Personal opinion - the players and teams that benefit the most are relatively limited. As with most NCAA rules, the Transfer Portal will likely morph over time and hopefully the next version will keep the primary benefits while fine tuning some of the speed bumps that currently make this a controversial program.
I am supportive to the point where if a player wants to leave, they can and should be able to. I am not supportive of not sitting out, and less of multiple transfers. Kids are allowed to make mistakes and change their minds of course, but to pubically announce they were coming back to only pivot a short time later, from a player who is a starter and contibutor, who already saw two teammates transfer out from the backcourt, just makes me shake my head. I'd question taking her on as a player but I'm not a coach who would need to be concerned about it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Patiently awaiting the reaction of @triaddukefan to this bit of surprising news.

Was setting up to be a wonderful night, just finished grilling (charcoal) some burgers, chicken, and scallops.... Was settled in for a night of Survivor and Fear Factor, figured lemme log on to the BY for a few minutes for some juicy transfer news. Logged on, then logged off.. Let out a groan and grabbed a pillow

anthony-anderson-crying.gif

My partner asked me if I was ok.. I said nope.. Imma be in a bad mood the rest of the night. I explained the situation, and the transfer portal, grad transfers, and the covid year. She offered some Godiva chocolate to try to ease my pain. I asked if i could have the whole bar, she said nope and i let out another groan and stuck my head in the pillow again.

Reaction Score
Was setting up to be a wonderful night, just finished grilling (charcoal) some burgers, chicken, and scallops.... Was settled in for a night of Survivor and Fear Factor, figured lemme log on to the BY for a few minutes for some juicy transfer news. Logged on, then logged off.. Let out a groan and grabbed a pillow

View attachment 87304

My partner asked me if I was ok.. I said nope.. Imma be in a bad mood the rest of the night. I explained the situation, and the transfer portal, grad transfers, and the covid year. She offered some Godiva chocolate to try to ease my pain. I asked if i could have the whole bar, she said nope and i let out another groan and stuck my head in the pillow again.
I knew you would take the news like a champ:cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

View attachment 87304

Hate to beat a man when he’s down. But what are your thoughts about Associate HC Winston Gandy leaving Durham for SC?

Reaction Score

View attachment 87304

You and your partner might want to avoid the chocolate. Consumer Reports found lead and cadmium in dark chocolate.

Consumer Reports article
Consumer Reports petition
NPR article

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25