duffy talks with AD about coach in waiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

duffy talks with AD about coach in waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're right - Manuel can't make this decision simply based on what recruits are saying. He also shouldn't make it based solely on what Calhoun is recommending.

But if everyone is recommending the same guy, it's no longer just "noise." It also doesn't hurt Ollie that Susan Herbst thinks highly of him as well.

It may not be finalized before Calhoun officially calls it quits, but there's more than enough writing on the wall here.
No, Manuel should hear JC out but make his decision whether or not he agrees with JC. It is Manuel's job to pick the next coach not Calhoun. I hope it is Ollie.

Reaction Score
If Manuel makes Ollie the HC when Calhoun steps down, than he is a bigger idiot than even I thought. If you are going to hire Ollie, why publicly embarrass Calhoun by ignoring his request and tie Ollie's hands in recruiting for 2 years?

For those thinking Manuel is showing backbone, get real. Backbone would be telling Calhoun it is time to hang it up and bringing in a new coach. Intelligence would be making Ollie coach in waiting and seeing how he does in recruiting with that title before handing over the reins of the program. Runaway ego is giving interviews where you basically tell the world that you won't be pushed around by Calhoun, but not really doing anything about a completely untenable coaching situation, and watching UConn's talent base rapidly deteriorate.
To the extent that UConn is seeing its talent base erode, and I think it remains to be seen if that in fact is happening, it is as much that we have lost scholarships so there are fewer opportunities and if you make a mistake there is less chance to back it up, and we are banned from the Big East and NCAA tournaments this year. And, quite honestly, that over the past few years UConn has gotten a reputation, deserved or not, as a borderline dirty program nationally. All those factors, particularly the loss of scholarships and the post season ban, have had a short term impact on recruiting, not whether Ollie is some "coach in waiting" or not. Jeez, last year we landed the #2 prospect in the country and the #10th ranked player in the country, neither of whom really played as well as expected, but sheesh, most everyone was thrilled and another top 50 player who had NCAA issues. This year we managed to hold onto a highly regarded shooting guard despite our own issues. You keep saying that our talent base is rapidly deteriorating, yet recruiting going forward looks to be on track too. And as many people like to point out, we've 2 years removed from a national championship and 4 from a final Four appearance, so we've been doing something right.

Reaction Score
If Manuel makes Ollie the HC when Calhoun steps down, than he is a bigger idiot than even I thought. If you are going to hire Ollie, why publicly embarrass Calhoun by ignoring his request and tie Ollie's hands in recruiting for 2 years?

For those thinking Manuel is showing backbone, get real. Backbone would be telling Calhoun it is time to hang it up and bringing in a new coach. Intelligence would be making Ollie coach in waiting and seeing how he does in recruiting with that title before handing over the reins of the program. Runaway ego is giving interviews where you basically tell the world that you won't be pushed around by Calhoun, but not really doing anything about a completely untenable coaching situation, and watching UConn's talent base rapidly deteriorate.

Rapidly deteriorate? If you're referring to the mass exodus of players from last year's team and the fact that we "only" got two top-100 players in the 2012 class, I would argue that is almost entirely due to the postseason ban and has almost nothing to do with the coaching situation.

If you're referring to recruiting for 2013 and beyond, I would argue that the landscape seems entirely the same as it always has. Facey was a nice pickup and we're on the short list for at least 5-6 other very highly regarded recruits. Not sure how that's different from almost any other year.

Is there really that much evidence to suggest that the coaching situation is having a negative impact on the talent level?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I admire Sportsjunky1 for sticking with (the name) "Dickerman," Fishy's comment notwithstanding.
More of interest to me was seeing how benign Manuel's remarks and Duffy's blog actually were, given that I went to the link AFTER reading all the posts. Big whoop.

Reaction Score
I thought it was "illegal" to name a coach in waiting due to Connecticut's hiring laws......Is that not the case or a bad assumption?

Reaction Score
Rapidly deteriorate? If you're referring to the mass exodus of players from last year's team and the fact that we "only" got two top-100 players in the 2012 class, I would argue that is almost entirely due to the postseason ban and has almost nothing to do with the coaching situation.

If you're referring to recruiting for 2013 and beyond, I would argue that the landscape seems entirely the same as it always has. Facey was a nice pickup and we're on the short list for at least 5-6 other very highly regarded recruits. Not sure how that's different from almost any other year.

Is there really that much evidence to suggest that the coaching situation is having a negative impact on the talent level?
Does it matter? All I know is that we are not on the list of a single top 20 player in the class of 2014. I don't want excuses. I want to see us compete and actually GET some of these kids. Last year's class looked great on paper and maybe we will see some big improvement out of Daniels but that was last year. We need some talent or we might as well go D3 because we will have no shot at beating a Kentucky team that starts all top 10 recruits. Kemba is gone and so is Drummond. Daniels may be a guy to build a team around but he needs other 5 star level talent to play with or why bother. Look at the talent we had last year and how far did they go? Do we think a team of Top50-100 players has a prayer? Maybe if Calhoun was 20 years younger.........

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What's the starting lineup next year, and how many underclassmen will we have? Are you arguing that coaches do not impact recruiting?

Reaction Score
What's the starting lineup next year, and how many underclassmen will we have? Are you arguing that coaches do not impact recruiting?

Huh? Did you even read my post? What I said was that any lack of talent on this year's roster has a heck of a lot more to do with the postseason ban than the future coaching uncertainty.

Reactions: caw

caw

Reaction Score
Huh? Did you even read my post? What I said was that any lack of talent on this year's roster has a heck of a lot more to do with the postseason ban than the future coaching uncertainty.

Wholeheartedly agree. Now if UConn fails to land any other high recruits for 2013, then you can say it has to do with the coaching issues.

It's pretty early in the recruiting cycle right now. Only about 40% of the top 100 are committed anywhere. 2 of top 10, 4 of top 20, 7 of top 30, 12 of top 40, etc.

Reaction Score
When did UConn ever load up with Top 10 recruits? Maybe we get 1 or two in an incredible recruiting year like 2011. Calhoun has always always ALWAYS been about getting kids with a high upside potential and coaching them to that potential. Gordon was Top 50 type recruit who Calhoun coached up to a Top draft pick. Okafor wasn't on anyone's top 10 list.

Reaction Score
When did UConn ever load up with Top 10 recruits? Maybe we get 1 or two in an incredible recruiting year like 2011. Calhoun has always always ALWAYS been about getting kids with a high upside potential and coaching them to that potential. Gordon was Top 50 type recruit who Calhoun coached up to a Top draft pick. Okafor wasn't on anyone's top 10 list.

I don't disagree. But that was before the squid surfaced in the land of "win at all costs". It was tough enough to beat Duke, UNC and some of the other teams that loaded up but the squid at UK has taken it to a new level. Also, I didn't say we needed Top 10 players. I said UK is starting an entire team of Top 10 players. Each of our NC teams had at least one McD AA which is to say that we had at least one Top 20 player. I would like to see us on the list of at least ONE of these players.

Reaction Score
Does it matter? All I know is that we are not on the list of a single top 20 player in the class of 2014. I don't want excuses. I want to see us compete and actually GET some of these kids. Last year's class looked great on paper and maybe we will see some big improvement out of Daniels but that was last year. We need some talent or we might as well go D3 because we will have no shot at beating a Kentucky team that starts all top 10 recruits. Kemba is gone and so is Drummond. Daniels may be a guy to build a team around but he needs other 5 star level talent to play with or why bother. Look at the talent we had last year and how far did they go? Do we think a team of Top50-100 players has a prayer? Maybe if Calhoun was 20 years younger.........
We are on these kids lists in 2014. It doesn't mean that we have a good chance at getting them but we are still an option.
- Noah Vonleh PF
- Jahlil Okafor C
- Chris McCullough PF
- Daniel Hamilton SG/SF
- Leron Black SG
All of these kids could be on any one of the lists in the top 10 in 2014.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree. But that was before the squid surfaced in the land of "win at all costs". It was tough enough to beat Duke, UNC and some of the other teams that loaded up but the squid at UK has taken it to a new level. Also, I didn't say we needed Top 10 players. I said UK is starting an entire team of Top 10 players. Each of our NC teams had at least one McD AA which is to say that we had at least one Top 20 player. I would like to see us on the list of at least ONE of these players.
It will be interesting to see if it is possible to compete against the Kentuckys of the world using Calhoun's more traditional approach. Though we may never know if he steps down. My guess is that you can compete for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, Calipari is not going to get the same level of player, who are willing to play the same unselfish basketball. His 2012 teams had remarkable chemistry. Don't forget that the 2011 UCONN team bet a similarly built Kentucky on the way to the title. Second others will go the same route, and it is completely possible that the top players will end up split among a few programs as opposed to concentrated in one place. Already UCLA is trying to do something very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom