Dubai, Doha, and Abu Dhabi | The Boneyard

Dubai, Doha, and Abu Dhabi

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Might be heading there next year for a couple weeks. Any tips, suggestions on what to do there?

Reaction Score
To each one’s own, but none of these places impressed. Just one perspective, but arrive via one of the world’s best airlines (don't even consider not flying Emirates or Qatar), ride to hotel, eat, work, eat/drink, walk around relatively blah markets with local colleagues or guide, return to hotel, slide in a few touristy things if desired; repeat, depart.

Dubai
Illusions museum was different
Burj Khalifa and other modern over-architect’d buildings if they’re your thing; observation decks to see nothing but desert
Old town/neighborhood – kind of blah yet at least it’s more original than the faux version created in Abu Dhabi
Some big fountains if that’s your thing
Desert SUV ride to see/experience some dunes if that’s your kind of thing; dune buggies optional (same near Abu Dhabi and Doha)
Camel – ride one or take a picture if smelly, dirty animals are your thing l (same near Abu Dhabi and Doha)

Abu Dhabi
Falcon Hospital was different
Modern buildings if they’re your thing
Over-architect’d Grand Mosque was typically modern UAE; something to fill free time
Skip the faux, recreated village

Doha
Sailed around Dhow harbor; not sure who paid yet it was most enjoyable/memorable part of visit
Islamic art museum
Soud old town/market walkable from Islamic art museum
Historic house museum – some recreated houses provide some local history; something to do versus sitting in hotel
Grand Mohammad something big mosque; time filler

Surely, there must be some interesting things to do and see yet so much appears so manufactured and it was SO hot ...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Thanks, likely a Feburary trip so at least it wouldn't be the hottest of the hot. This is about what I figured, a lot of walking around looking at life-size dioramas of pre-packaged culture. Was hoping for some must do's. The museums sound interesting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, some of those camel rides or photo ops may require a separate fee to have the camel kneel down or for you to safely climb down from the camel.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, some of those camel rides or photo ops may require a separate fee to have the camel kneel down or for you to safely climb down from the camel.
Are you pulling our leg? Free if you jump, extra if the camel kneels? That cracks me up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Are you pulling our leg? Free if you jump, extra if the camel kneels? That cracks me up.

No, there was definitely fleecing of tourists. If you have ever been on a full-sized camel, it would be pretty daunting to dismount by yourself without assistance from the guide or having the guide have the camel kneel down.

It's a been a few years but I think another $5-$10 USD was about right.

EDIT: Just googled this to see if it was true and got a bunch of Assassin's Creed websites. You can find some other links that go over the process.

Reaction Score
My daughter lives in Abu Dhabi. I have been there a couple of times. There is a bunch to do and see in this city or venture out to Dubai. You will marvel at what you see. The mall is out of this world. Do a boat tour around the outside of the city. You will be overwhelmed. The botanical gardens are beautiful. Make sure that you eat brunch at one of the main hotels. Its their favorite meal of the week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom