DT was told to use a regular basketball. | The Boneyard

DT was told to use a regular basketball.

Reaction Score
Figures a completely nonathletic dude thinks he can compete with the best women's player in the world.

It's not only "completely nonathletic dudes" either, we all sometimes forget just how good of shooters some of these women really are. I remember hearing a stat regarding KML that was mind boggling. KML was/is a big fan of using the Dr. Dish rebounding/passing system(for those who are unaware, a Dr Dish is a machine that rebounds, passes, and keeps track of makes and misses automatically to get shots up. Over her entire career at UConn, she shot over 90% on 3 pt shots during her Dr, Dish sessions. That is just absurd!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Lol, it's not the first time she heard that. IIRC, a reporter once was shooting with her and after he lost he said "well it's was because it is a woman's ball" and Diana said "go get a men's ball, heck go get a golf ball and bowling ball and I'll beat you with those too." I love Dee.

Reaction Score
I remember Geno once saying that he preferred the men's ball because it gave a truer bounce off the rim and that it would actually help the women.

Reaction Score
It was probably created back in the old days when women were not considered athletes and the 'poor little things with the tiny hands and week muscles' had to have something easier to use. (yes that is a fake catch all quote :rolleyes:). Today's women are very athletic, 6' and taller, and work hard in the weight room like men do. Big difference, different era. I seriously doubt it makes any difference now at least on the top levels.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was probably created back in the old days when women were not considered athletes and the 'poor little things with the tiny hands and week muscles' had to have something easier to use
The switch to a smaller ball is a recent thing (2008).

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The switch to a smaller ball is a recent thing (2008).

Not quite accurate.

From its initial game in 1997, the WNBA basketball has been 28.5 inches in circumference, one inch (2.54 cm) smaller than its NBA counterpart. The NCAA women's college basketball is also 28.5 inches …. and has been for many, many years.

In 2008, FIBA made the decision to use the 28.5-inch ball in all senior-level women's competitions under its purview.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Figures a completely nonathletic dude thinks he can compete with the best women's player in the world.

SMH.:confused:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not quite accurate.

From its initial game in 1997, the WNBA basketball has been 28.5 inches in circumference, one inch (2.54 cm) smaller than its NBA counterpart. The NCAA women's college basketball is also 28.5 inches …. and has been for many, many years.
So you agree that the smaller ball was used because women were not considered athletes and the 'poor little things with the tiny hands and week muscles' had to have something easier to use? Not me.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Not quite accurate.

The NCAA women's college basketball is also 28.5 inches …. and has been for many, many years.

Specifically, From the Important Rules Changes - NCAA WOMEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYING RULES HISTORY

1984-85
After two major research studies, committee legislates a smaller ball, about one inch less in circumference (becoming 28½ to 29 inches) and 2 ounces lighter (18 to 20 ounces) than the previous ball. (This is the same weight recommended by the original women’s committee in 1899.) Also, slapping ball in hand of inbounder is technical foul — no warning. Technical foul on bench also charged to head coach. All three and four free-throw awards are deleted.

Reaction Score
Isn’t that Dan Patrick? This was probably done for a Sports Center piece.

Reaction Score
When was the last time you actually watched DT play? It is " was" not "is" the best women's player in the world. She is still an elite shooter, but the rest of her game has declined considerably in the last two years. Hey, she is not a spring chicken anymore.

Reaction Score
And it looked like she reached for her back a couple of times in that video.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
So you agree that the smaller ball was used because women were not considered athletes and the 'poor little things with the tiny hands and week muscles' had to have something easier to use? Not me.

Right, because I never said anything of the sort in my post, nor did I respond to any such comment as to that assertion.

Reaction Score
I find it curious how easy it is to switch between a mens and a womens ball. I find shooting and dribbling the womens ball easier, but I also like practicing with a mens ball, I think it helps me shoot the womens ball better.

I love that DT clip, though, so so good.

Reaction Score
They should have used; A great training aid

1582376997364.png

Reaction Score
And it looked like she reached for her back a couple of times in that video.
Ummm, she did that because she was clowning him; acting as if the ball was so heavy it hurt her back to lift it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom