DT, Sue Commit to all Pre Olympic Events | The Boneyard

DT, Sue Commit to all Pre Olympic Events

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

I wonder if the Eight Players that have committed are guaranteed to make the Olympic Team unless injured.

WNBA players joining Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury) and Bird (Seattle Storm) for all five training segments are three-time Olympic and 2010 World Cup gold medalist Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx), 2016 Olympic and 2018 World Cup gold medalist Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics), two-time World Cup gold medalist Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks) and USA National Team members Skylar Diggins-Smith (Dallas Wings) and Chelsea Gray (Los Angeles Sparks).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I wonder if the Eight Players that have committed are guaranteed to make the Olympic Team unless injured.

WNBA players joining Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury) and Bird (Seattle Storm) for all five training segments are three-time Olympic and 2010 World Cup gold medalist Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx), 2016 Olympic and 2018 World Cup gold medalist Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics), two-time World Cup gold medalist Nneka Ogwumike (Los Angeles Sparks) and USA National Team members Skylar Diggins-Smith (Dallas Wings) and Chelsea Gray (Los Angeles Sparks).

I dont think anyone is guaranteed anything as we learned from Parker's situation in 2012. The Olympic team may look very different from the Geno era, especially since all of the UCONN stars are out right now. Bird is going to be almost 40 so who knows how her game will hold up next summer. Taurasi will be 38, same thing there. Both are injured right now too. Moore isnt playing basketball, Charles isnt looking like an Olympian this summer, Stewart is coming off a very serious injury and may not be ready. Hayes hasnt looked good this summer. Could be a very different make up.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I dont think anyone is guaranteed anything as we learned from Parker's situation in 2012. The Olympic team may look very different from the Geno era, especially since all of the UCONN stars are out right now. Bird is going to be almost 40 so who knows how her game will hold up next summer. Taurasi will be 38, same thing there. Both are injured right now too. Moore isnt playing basketball, Charles isnt looking like an Olympian this summer, Stewart is coming off a very serious injury and may not be ready. Hayes hasnt looked good this summer. Could be a very different make up.
Certainly no one is guaranteed a spot, and injury is always the wildcard. Both Bird and Taurasi have taken multiple injury hiatuses in their pro careers but have always managed to be in great form for the Olympics. I think both are being extra cautious this summer so as not to jeopardize their one last hoorah with the national team next year. For all we know, they as well as Stewie will be good to go again while some of the younger presumptive Olympians who are currently healthy and killing it could suffer a most untimely injury that takes them out of the Games.

It's no surprise this next Olympic team will look quite different than the last one, if nothing else because they were a fairly aging roster to begin with. Two of the 12 (Catchings and Whalen) have since definitively retired, and a third (Maya) may well have played her last game. That would already be 25% of the roster. Then you have question marks surrounding McCoughtry, Augustus, Charles, Stewie, Bird and Taurasi, whether due to injury or age or general form. The only returning Olympians who are currently healthy and playing great this summer are EDD, Griner and (to a lesser extent) Fowles. I do think the current WNBA season is less important than what happens between October and the naming of the roster next spring. Which players are rounding into form, and which are gelling with whatever team concept Dawn wants to build?

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina's shooting percentage is down, but she's 5th in the league in scoring and 8th in rebounding. Considering that she's double-teamed almost constantly, she's still having a decent season. I think she's clearly still part of the USAWNT core.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Tina's shooting percentage is down, but she's 5th in the league in scoring and 8th in rebounding. Considering that she's double-teamed almost constantly, she's still having a decent season. I think she's clearly still part of the USAWNT core.

Plus, Tina has been USA BB's best post player since the world championships in 2010. Tina will be on the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom