DT Marquel Combs | The Boneyard

DT Marquel Combs

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Often times, I think it's funny watching one of the BY mention a highly ranked player leaving another school and wondering whether that player would consider coming to UConn. But here I find myself in that very same position tonight.

The player is Marquel Combs, a highly regarded 4-star DT from Kansas who has decided to transfer and who is allowed to do so, so long as it is not in the Big12. We recruited this kid and we had a scholarship out to him. Does anyone who is Twitter-savvy or who is dialed into the recruiting scene know if we had a realistic chance at landing him the first time? Any thoughts on whether he would make the move to UConn? Here are his links:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/23/dt-marquel-combs-transferring-from-kansas/

http://rivals.yahoo.com/connecticut...ombs-133069;_ylt=AnkpeRpTkp.F4qFHe4SedcIDrpB4

(feel free to laugh at me for this one...I probably deserve it...)

Reaction Score
Kinda makes ya go hmmmmm.... http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/23/4503409/former-top-juco-football-recruit.html

Hell, looking @ Rivals - almost half of FBS offered him.

Quick breeze through the world would have Washington State and Ole Miss as strong possibilities. Wazzu was in his final 3 and he's already hoping on Twitter that Ole Miss is an option. Sparty was in his Top 7 but it sounds like academics may have been an issue previously.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Kinda makes ya go hmmmmm.... http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/23/4503409/former-top-juco-football-recruit.html

Hell, looking @ Rivals - almost half of FBS offered him.

Quick breeze through the world would have Washington State and Ole Miss as strong possibilities. Wazzu was in his final 3 and he's already hoping on Twitter that Ole Miss is an option. Sparty was in his Top 7 but it sounds like academics may have been an issue previously.

So it sounds like he's not so disgruntled with the P5 that he was looking for the only team outside the P5 worth going to. That's too bad. I wonder if the coaching staff can contact him if they still feel he's worth getting and make a pitch, or maybe they need Charlie Weis's blessing still...

Reaction Score
Was there really no other FBS schools that he could transfer to? At least a better FCS school. SE Louisiana went 5-6 last year....

Reaction Score
Was there really no other FBS schools that he could transfer to? At least a better FCS school. SE Louisiana went 5-6 last year....

Agreed - A JUCO kid that probably didn't want to spend a year sitting... seems to be all about playing time. ?4 hours from home?

Reaction Score
I mean, why not Memphis or MTSU? I'm just wondering what his thought process was in making a decision to play there. Can he play immediately at SE Louisiana?

Reaction Score
I mean, why not Memphis or MTSU? I'm just wondering what his thought process was in making a decision to play there. Can he play immediately at SE Louisiana?

Yes - drop down a level = immediate eligibility. Playing against University of the Incarnate Word Saturday.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm thinking possible academic issues to accompany lack of playing time? If I'm right, then I'm really wondering about Kansas' academic standards. I could be wrong, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom