DT Does Not Expect To Play in All-Star Game ... | The Boneyard

DT Does Not Expect To Play in All-Star Game ...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"I probably won't play. My goal is to be ready for the Olympics," Taurasi said in a video call with media Tuesday. "Preparation is key. So at this point in my career, I think being ready for Tokyo is what's best for our team and me. So I'm taking it day by day. I'm getting better, and I'll be fine once the real games start."

In the ESPNw article, written by Mechelle Voepel, it appears there are no alternates, so if Taurasi can't play, the team wouldn't have a person to take her place:

'There are no alternates who train with Team USA, so no one will be named to replace Taurasi on Wednesday if she doesn't play," write Voepel.

Dillon speaking now. Is it normal procedure for the U.S.A. National team not to have an alternate (s) or something particular to this pandemic-influenced Olympics? The U.S.A. Women's National soccer team had alternates (that now can be slipped into the 18-person roster), so it does not seem to be a Federation policy. I don't really care who the player in (injury) question is, but having an alternate forward/guard would seem to be, well, prudent.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Won't be popular but IMO DT should not be on the Olympic Team. She's no where near the player she was a couple of years ago and can't be relied upon due to injuries. Additionally she's a liability playing defensse.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So was Larry Bird and half a dozen others. They paid the price and earned their place.
Exactly. Plus, assuming she "can" play - I would expect some fireworks from her. She is more "fragile" than in the past, but even if not what she used to be she still has skills.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
"I probably won't play. My goal is to be ready for the Olympics," Taurasi said in a video call with media Tuesday. "Preparation is key. So at this point in my career, I think being ready for Tokyo is what's best for our team and me. So I'm taking it day by day. I'm getting better, and I'll be fine once the real games start."

In the ESPNw article, written by Mechelle Voepel, it appears there are no alternates, so if Taurasi can't play, the team wouldn't have a person to take her place:

'There are no alternates who train with Team USA, so no one will be named to replace Taurasi on Wednesday if she doesn't play," write Voepel.

Dillon speaking now. Is it normal procedure for the U.S.A. National team not to have an alternate (s) or something particular to this pandemic-influenced Olympics? The U.S.A. Women's National soccer team had alternates (that now can be slipped into the 18-person roster), so it does not seem to be a Federation policy. I don't really care who the player in (injury) question is, but having an alternate forward/guard would seem to be, well, prudent.

That is for Wednesdays game.
I was told that Team USA "might" have availability to the USA 3 x 3 team as alternates. All are credentialed Olympians with Team USA
I dont know if that was ever finalized with the Olympics, USOC, etc.
So if Team USA needs a guard, they might be able to add Plum or Gray, a SF, KLS, or a Pwr fwd/C, Dolson.
The 3 x3 games are the first week of the Olympics and the 5 x 5 games are the 2nd week. There is an overlap of one, or two days, for both teams.
I do not know if this goes in reverse, if a 3 x3 player cant compete.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Won't be popular but IMO DT should not be on the Olympic Team. She's no where near the player she was a couple of years ago and can't be relied upon due to injuries. Additionally she's a liability playing defensse.

I would argue that a number of the players on the USA team aren't what they used to be. However IMO experience and familiarity are more important than individual skill sets on this particular team. When you have a roster as deep as USA there's no need for anybody to log major minutes. Perfect recipe to utilize older players.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd agree if there was any doubt that the US won't clobber the world. But fact is, having DT (or any individual player) healthy vs not having her healthy won't make any difference on the end result. At this point she's been on team USA for 16+ years and is a legend, so I have no problem with her getting one last hurrah even if there are other players who'd likely perform better than DT in Tokyo.

Reaction Score
What's done is done, but it would have been nice to see a couple of younger players get a chance for a medal over Bird and Taurasi. I love that Napheesa is on the team.

Reaction Score
I'd agree if there was any doubt that the US won't clobber the world. But fact is, having DT (or any individual player) healthy vs not having her healthy won't make any difference on the end result. At this point she's been on team USA for 16+ years and is a legend, so I have no problem with her getting one last hurrah even if there are other players who'd likely perform better than DT in Tokyo.
You still have 5 guards for 2 positions, even if DT doesn't play.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I remember when Staley was the PG on the Olmpic team and I wanted Bird to start so bad. But Bird had no problem with it. Everything turned out great for the team. Lots of talent on this USA team as well. I think "D" and Sue will pull their weight just fine.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the Tamika Catchings situation in 2016. I love Catchings, but that spot could’ve gone to Parker or Nneka Ogwumike easily. Taurasi might serve a similar role this year playing minutes as needed while primarily being a mentor for the next gen of USA basketball. I still think she can turn it on when healthy, but those healthy days seem less common than in past years.

Reaction Score
At this point she's been on team USA for 16+ years and is a legend, so I have no problem with her getting one last hurrah even if there are other players who'd likely perform better than DT in Tokyo.
I am certainly releaved that it's ok with you for DT and Bird to have on last Hurrah. Of course some of those players who didn't get a chance or might not ever get the chance to play in the OG might hold a different perspective. Some people are very generous at sharing or giviing up someone elses opportunity. But why should the ones who lost out feel deprived even though they were better players. I am sure they do not mind giving up something they have never had nor might ever have the opportunity to have just so someone else can experience it for their fourth time.

As someone else has mentioned, even if they do no play or contribute that much they can still act as mentors to the younger players. Lets see what can they mentor them in. The team is basically comprised of players who have played professionally for years. There are no rookies just out of college. Well I suppose Bird and DT can instruct all the younger players what they have learned about drinking. Or they can mentor them in being unselfish and allowing others to have an opportunitity based on merit that they themselves have had.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am certainly releaved that it's ok with you for DT and Bird to have on last Hurrah. Of course some of those players who didn't get a chance or might not ever get the chance to play in the OG might hold a different perspective. Some people are very generous at sharing or giviing up someone elses opportunity. But why should the ones who lost out feel deprived even though they were better players. I am sure they do not mind giving up something they have never had nor might ever have the opportunity to have just so someone else can experience it for their fourth time.

As someone else has mentioned, even if they do no play or contribute that much they can still act as mentors to the younger players. Lets see what can they mentor them in. The team is basically comprised of players who have played professionally for years. There are no rookies just out of college. Well I suppose Bird and DT can instruct all the younger players what they have learned about drinking. Or they can mentor them in being unselfish and allowing others to have an opportunitity based on merit that they themselves have had.
Lol, wow… there’s so much anger and outright falsehoods here. I’m not sure where to begin. Let’s start with the easiest one first.

You realize that Diana and Sue I don’t want unilaterally choose to be on the team, right? Apparently the committee felt that two of the greatest players of all time would be desirable to have on the team. I mean that makes sense to you right?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Lets be honest if DT had played her college career for the Lady Vols, many would have a different opinion about DT being on the Olympic Team taking into consideration her health and level of play. I don't think the Gold Medal is a guarantee as don't be surprised to see Team Japan and others give USA a tough game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This year is the Olympic equivalent of waiting until the last time out so the star can have a moment for recognition. In 2014 it was Tamika Catchings having her well-deserved moment in the sun, now it’s Diana.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Geez, it’s not like some scrub is stealing a spot from a good player.

You can’t have all young players on the Olympic team. Even great players are overwhelmed their first time on that stage. Remember how underwhelming Stewie was in her first Olympics? You need long time veterans to steady the team. And, frankly, Taurasi at half strength is still pretty darn good

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That is for Wednesdays game.
I was told that Team USA "might" have availability to the USA 3 x 3 team as alternates. All are credentialed Olympians with Team USA
I dont know if that was ever finalized with the Olympics, USOC, etc.
So if Team USA needs a guard, they might be able to add Plum or Gray, a SF, KLS, or a Pwr fwd/C, Dolson.
The 3 x3 games are the first week of the Olympics and the 5 x 5 games are the 2nd week. There is an overlap of one, or two days, for both teams.
I do not know if this goes in reverse, if a 3 x3 player cant compete.

Could USA have had alternates (beyond the 3x3 pool) if they had wanted it?
If no, then the scenario you're construcuting sounds like the (only) way to go. If they could've had alternates, I would've thought being a bit prudent might've been the way to go, particularly given the nagging injury to DT (or anyone for that matter).

(BTW, I hope DT is ready to roll. My concern is for having a full team.)

CL82

Reaction Score
Everyone is talking like Diana is bed ridden. She isn't. The fact that she is skipping the All-Star game is a statement of her commitment to the Olympic team. There isn't a doubt in my mind that she will be ready.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

How can you be sure they don't mind giving up something they never had or may have the opportunity to have? Do you know them that well?

Reaction Score
Everyone is talking like Diana is bed ridden. She isn't. The fact that she is skipping the All-Star game is a statement of her commitment to the Olympic team. There isn't a doubt in my mind that she will be ready.
Agreed that skipping this game is probably a good choice since the outcome doesn’t really matter. Why risk injury. But it’s worth noting that Diana has only appeared in 32 of 75 Mercury games in the past 3 seasons. You can’t deny that at this point in her career, she is very injury prone and not very durable.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agreed that skipping this game is probably a good choice since the outcome doesn’t really matter. Why risk injury. But it’s worth noting that Diana has only appeared in 32 of 75 Mercury games in the past 3 seasons. You can’t deny that at this point in her career, she is very injury prone and not very durable.
I did not realize that, but regardless, Dee doesn't have to be good to go for 75 games, she has to be good to go for what a half dozen? I'm sure she feels like she can do that.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest if DT had played her college career for the Lady Vols, many would have a different opinion about DT being on the Olympic Team taking into consideration her health and level of play. I don't think the Gold Medal is a guarantee as don't be surprised to see Team Japan and others give USA a tough game.

Last Olympics not one Vol fan had a problem with Catchings being on the team. (neither did I) Now it's all "give young players a chance"?

I think Geno made a great point when he said that 6 players are always no-brainers to be on the team and that in picking the 2nd 6 you want players who compliment the top 6 and those 6 aren't necessarily the 6 best left. Why? Because the team gets a few weeks to train and that isn't enough time for 12 players to learn each other. Better to have mostly players with experience playing with each other.

Reaction Score
Last Olympics not one Vol fan had a problem with Catchings being on the team. (neither did I) Now it's all "give young players a chance"?

I think Geno made a great point when he said that 6 players are always no-brainers to be on the team and that in picking the 2nd 6 you want players who compliment the top 6 and those 6 aren't necessarily the 6 best left. Why? Because the team gets a few weeks to train and that isn't enough time for 12 players to learn each other. Better to have mostly players with experience playing with each other.
They really really stuck to their guns with the experience playing with each other. There was interviews on YouTube I was listening to, and they had the player split into pairs. All of them were WNBA teammates other than the pairing of Sue and DT. Seattle and Phoenix have 3 players on the team. While the Aces, Mystics, and Lynx each have two players on the team. Just something I noticed.

I'm okay with DT playing another one, but all I'm going to say is that they have to play really good team defense. Stewie and Wilsom are going to have to step up. Phoenix is one of my favorite teams, but she is a huge liability on defense now. Bird hasnt been known to be a defensive stopper either, and you cant expect her to be at her age. I thought SDS and Loyd could help, but they (and the entire backcourt) got torched tonight. Williams and Ogunbowale are two dynamic guards though, so they may not face a team that has that type of player. But the backcourt is their weakness. DT can help with her passing and 3 point shooting.

Reaction Score
So was Larry Bird and half a dozen others. They paid the price and earned their place.

Not only a proper comparison, but actually not true to begin with.

One, Bird was not an "invite" player for the Boston Celtics, where there was a menu of choices to choose from. He was a contractually salaried player, and as long as the Celtics medical staff deemed him capable of playing, he was going to play for them. So just saying, "Larry Bird should not be on the Boston Celtics" does not work here like that......

Two, it is NOT true that Larry Bird was a "liability playing defense". The proper argument would've been that Larry Bird was a poor one-on-one defender, which would be true. But oddly enough despite that fact, Larry Bird was one of the all-time best TEAM defenders the NBA has ever seen - he was described as a basketball version of a "free safety" in football - a player that roamed the paint and around the key, effectively attacking opponents who had teammates of Bird's - like excellent shot-blockers Parrish and McHale - defending them, and therefore had their attention solely on those guys. Bird had a great sense/knack of slipping up behind those players and blocking their shots, stealing their balls, or stepping into passing lanes and intercepting passes, that by the end of his career he had quite the impressive highlight reel of defensive plays created just from that kind of team, "off-the-ball" defensive play.

Finally, to add to that, Bird was an outstanding defensive rebounder his entire career, to make the whole package into something FAR removed from being "a liability playing defense". Especially early in his career before he started having back troubles, Bird was effective battling bigger, taller true centers - like Daryl Dawkins, Moses Malone, Kareen Abdul-Jabbar - for rebounds through anticipation, positioning and quicker reflexes......

If you were just talking about on-man defense, then you'd be more correct. But there is a LOT more to defense in basketball than just that....

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom