Drummond Tonight vs Wagner | The Boneyard

Drummond Tonight vs Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm hoping we get to see him get fed in the paint tonight.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think you could expand this to all the big men. I'd like to see Oriakhi get fed and convert to get his confidence up early. I'd also like to see them utilize Olander more on offense ... his game is looking nice.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
i think they'll get fed until they don't produce, which i hope they do... i think the mask is really hurting drummond and possibly even coming off the bench, but i do see him doing much better tonight regardless

Reaction Score
I think you could expand this to all the big men. I'd like to see Oriakhi get fed and convert to get his confidence up early. I'd also like to see them utilize Olander more on offense ... his game is looking nice.
Yeah, Olander is going to be big this year, he can do a bit of everything. Alex, I'm not concerned about at all because he's done it before. Drummond I feel needs a concerted effort to get him involved and the more work he gets before the BE the better. He's rightly tentative because of the mask.

Reaction Score
Knowing Calhoun, and is concerns after last game, I would be shocked if Alex and Andre didn't have a bigger impact in this game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I just want to see them compete with fire. This early, I'm not extremely worried about results, but there's no excuse for coming out flat and being physically dominant. Let's see some aggression.

Reaction Score
The problem with our big men against Columbia wasn't that they weren't being fed enough, IMO. The went to Oriakhi and Olander a lot early in the game, they just missed a bunch of shots from up close. Oriakhi's missed a lot of bunnies in the last 2 games, which seems to be affecting his confidence more than anything.

Reaction Score
Drummond and AO should never have game where they don't get put back points. Yes, they should be part of the offense. But even on plays where thye are not the focus, they should get offensive rebounds and score. Let's see if that happens tonight.

Reaction Score
I was really concerned when AD hurt his nose. Obviously JC knows best but I hope the injury wasn't that bad and it's given time to heal. Hope Wolfe gets some burn today.

Reaction Score
i think people are expecting too much of him and hoping for too much too early. it takes big guys far longer to 'get it' than it does little guys. let him get out there and run and use his athleticism to get us by the early season and by March we'll start to see him put together full games with skill along with his freakish athleticism.

Reaction Score
I expect them to do a better job of working the ball inside.

Alex and AD need to work much harder to establish deep post position and when they get the ball they need to try to do something with it. AD was very passive last game.

They both also have to make sure the square up the the hoop and take well balanced shots. Based on what I saw in the first exhibition game, I thought Alex did a better job with this, but he took some awful off-balanced shots against Columbia, regressing back to his old habits. Hopefully the staff will continue to drill him to maintain good body control and release the ball squared up to the basket.

Same goes for AD. Start off with good habits. Especially important since we might only get one year out of him.

Here's where missing Boatright hurts. I'm sure the staff was hoping he and Bazz would be able to drive and dish a lot, but for now, Bazz seems like the only one who's capable of that. Lamb should be able to do that at times as well, but his primary role is to score, not to dish.

Add to that, I'd like to see have the bigs screen for each other below the foul line. Most of the screening has been at the elbow or above the foul line. I think our bigs should have some success screening for each other, especially if there is some potential mismatch among them.

Reaction Score
Well, he should start Olander and Enosch if he wants to light a fire under AO. At least try to light a fire that is

Reaction Score
I would like to see both AD and AO with a double double tonight. We are not playing UNC- they need to really step up tonight. There is no reason we can not throw the ball above the rim and one of either AD or AO flushes the ball- if it happens 10 times we have half of our the double double.
I am not buying the nose being the reason AD played poorly. RS had 8 stitches in face and was a man in the NCAAs last year. If his nose hurts- he needs to get mad and take it out on the other team. That is not too much to ask from a player that if he plays hard and gives 100% will make millions and live a life most people can only dream about. Get it done.

Reaction Score
I expect them to do a better job of working the ball inside.

Same goes for AD. Start off with good habits. Especially important since we might only get one year out of him.

Not too sure there is a lot of call for a guy at the next level who comes off the bench and scores zip against Columbia...I just don't see him as a 1 and done. for one thing, it isn't the way Calhoun coaches. For another, there are a bunch of bigs on this tieam and they will all get playing time. So Drummond won't get the chance to dominate, if he is even capable of doing so. I think he is more likely a Charlie Villanueva...he had similar hype when he came to the program...he'll come off the bench this year before being the leader next year.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about AO or AD.

Once Boatright comes back, Bazz and Boat can play up to their full potential and go full speed on both ends of the floor. Once they start penetrating and getting in the lane, the defense will have to collapse on them, and I have no doubt boat and bazz can find AD and AO for some slambonies.

The rebounding will work itself out. And the mask is definitely bothering AD.

Reaction Score
Not too sure there is a lot of call for a guy at the next level who comes off the bench and scores zip against Columbia...I just don't see him as a 1 and done. for one thing, it isn't the way Calhoun coaches. For another, there are a bunch of bigs on this tieam and they will all get playing time. So Drummond won't get the chance to dominate, if he is even capable of doing so. I think he is more likely a Charlie Villanueva...he had similar hype when he came to the program...he'll come off the bench this year before being the leader next year.
If Drummond wants to be a one-and-done, he'll be a one-and-done. It has nothing to do with how Calhoun coaches or how many minutes Drummond gets this year. He'll be a high draft pick based on what people envision him being 5 years from now, not based on his stats this year. The only way he comes back is if he WANTS to come back.

Reaction Score
I just want to see them compete with fire. This early, I'm not extremely worried about results, but there's no excuse for coming out flat and being physically dominant. Let's see some aggression.
I think it is hard to get a team fired up when they know the team they are playing is not in their league talent-wise. Some players play hard no matter what but others tend to coast when they can. I hope that I will be forgiven for this, but the only team that seems to play hard no matter the competition is Duke. Don't get me wrong, Jim Calhoun is definitely the better coach, but somehow Coach K seems to get his teams to play hard all the time.

Reaction Score
I just hope this kid learns how to play with his back towards the basket, and be able to post someone up.

Reaction Score
The rebounding will work itself out. And the mask is definitely bothering AD.
It's funny how the mask apparently wasn't a problem when Drummond went for a double-double against C.W. Post.

Friday was one game. Let's wait a few weeks before trying to draw a million conclusions about this team/the players (especially a freshman big).

Reaction Score
I want to see Alex set the example for Drummond in the paint. Captain needs to step up, he's the big man coach on the floor.

Reaction Score
If Drummond wants to be a one-and-done, he'll be a one-and-done. It has nothing to do with how Calhoun coaches or how many minutes Drummond gets this year. He'll be a high draft pick based on what people envision him being 5 years from now, not based on his stats this year. The only way he comes back is if he WANTS to come back.
Actually, you're right. And that is one reason the NBA is the mess it is...even if they play its almost unwatchable much of the time. Drafting based on "potential" brings guys into the league at very high salaries who really have no business playing in the NBA. Is it possible that Drummond could be one of them? Sure. Best thing that could happen to that league, though is to lose the season, have the owners impose some settlement with somewhat more realistic salaries and end the 1 year rule. Go back to drafting guys out of high school and pay them a salary that is comensurate with their true value as opposed to their "potential". Probably close up shop for a couple of teams, too, wouldn't be the end of the world. Can you tell me you'd seriously miss the Cleveland Caveliers? If the LA Clippers win a Championship and nobody even knows about it, does it really count?

Reaction Score
drummond will have 12 and 10 tonight. Thats my guess. Alex will def have his rebounds... not sure about the points though

Reaction Score
Have you paid attention to how NBA GM's draft. Production in college doesnt mean a whole lot when it comes to draft status. Kanter went 3rd, Tristan Thompson 4th, and some guy named Bismark Biyombo 7th in last years draft. Andre Drummond is twice the prospect any of those guys are. Not sure why we are talking about his draft status after one game.....

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Actually, you're right. And that is one reason the NBA is the mess it is...even if they play its almost unwatchable much of the time. Drafting based on "potential" brings guys into the league at very high salaries who really have no business playing in the NBA. Is it possible that Drummond could be one of them? Sure. Best thing that could happen to that league, though is to lose the season, have the owners impose some settlement with somewhat more realistic salaries and end the 1 year rule. Go back to drafting guys out of high school and pay them a salary that is comensurate with their true value as opposed to their "potential". Probably close up shop for a couple of teams, too, wouldn't be the end of the world. Can you tell me you'd seriously miss the Cleveland Caveliers? If the LA Clippers win a Championship and nobody even knows about it, does it really count?
I wouldn't miss the Cavs at all! The Cavs that could have drafted DWILL & Kemba. What a putrid franchise. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom