Drummond Scholarship Situation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Drummond Scholarship Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not saying I was doubting Drummond's personality coming in to this year, but his well-protected superstar high school career/indecisiveness to go to college definitely made me question how he'd mesh with that great chemistry we already had. Many of thought his addition to the team would benefit us exclusively through talent and numbers, with the risk being role-clashing with returning stars.

But as it turns out, I don't think he could be fitting in any better with this team. I haven't seen any signs of ego whatsoever. This guy is really easy to root for and this story only cements that the playful Drummond we see on the court is just as good of a guy off it. Even if he might not have transitioned in as elite fashion as some hoped, he's a major part of this team and is starting to make some huge strides. Really glad to see a CT kid filling the complete role of a UConn star and fan-favorite so well.
His decision to got to prep school was to be with his friend. Very few of us could believe that someone with $$$ written all over him could look at life differently than our jaded perspective about monies. It is my impression this kid puts life before money. That doesn't mean he doesn't value money. It just means he isn't obsessed with it.

So we got him wrong. He's a good kid. That appears obvious. He doesn't have a selfish attitude. UConn was very fortunate to get him and not just for what he brings to the bb court.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Drummond could be this generation of UConn fan's Ray Allen. Great basketball player, even better person, and a perfect representative of UConn Basketball!

Reaction Score
75 articles on how we are DB's when MB gave up his ship- front page. Over several weeks. Now nothing.

ESPN can suck it. I am sick of their BS. If this is really true- why not run a feel good story during the holidays? Is there a better story then a guy like AD doing the right thing. Warms the cockels of my heart.

Let's make them hate us even more this year.

WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Does this mean there will be no more love for Bradley? I hope not because his original offer was a class act.

And it was followed up by another class move by Andre. Nice to know the team has these type of people in its fold.

No way. Bradley's offer was incredibly selfless, and clearly he intended to follow through on it. He deserves constant praise throughout the season from UConn fans, and I expect him to get a standing ovation when he first checks into a game. Kids like Michael Bradley don't get a lot of press, but it is these types of selfless acts that are just as important to the construction of a team than anything that happens on the court.

As far as Drummoind goes, his act was just as selfless. For somebody that apparently needed another year to prep for college, this kid is incredibly mature. Not only was it incredibly generous, but he clearly had the foresight to understand the differences in situations. Bradley is an orphan, who may or may not have a future in basketball. It's possible that he will have to pay off loans after he graduates. Drummond is a sure fire lottery pick, and as others have mentioned, the 10,000 dollars or so will be nothing more than pocket change to him some day. Regardless, he doesn't have that money right now. There is a possility he blows out his knee, or for whatever reason, is unable to play in the NBA. To give up the scholarship shows he cares about his teammate and friend. This is the type of care great teams have for each other, whether they are the star of the team or the 5th guy off the bench.

Reaction Score
75 articles on how we are DB's when MB gave up his ship- front page. Over several weeks. Now nothing.

ESPN can suck it. I am sick of their BS. If this is really true- why not run a feel good story during the holidays? Is there a better story then a guy like AD doing the right thing. Warms the cockels of my heart.

I thought about that as well. Unfortunately a story where people have the chance to rip Calhoun generates more page clicks than a feel good story like this. We've had so many disappointing and disgusting stories in college sports over the past year. It would be nice to for once, hear a story about a kid who does the right thing, and is able to think about more than himself.

Drummond is a kid who has his priorities in order. If he is able to fulfill his potential and become a star, he will someday be a great role model for children and a great represenative of this University.

Reaction Score
I thought JC's policy is that walk-ons don't get their name on their jerseys............

Reaction Score

I fired off an enormous amount of tweets to those folks who bashed us when he commiteed, and have yet to report anything on the new events that have transpired. Not suprisingly I have not gotten a single response, nor have I seen this reported by anyone outside of CT.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This story will be discussed during games through out the season. It is a feel good story about kids who are showing something other than greed. And the apr should improve as well. UConn will get its share of good pr as Cuse, Miami, PSU, North Carolina and Georgia Tech get negative press.

Reaction Score
I'd say it's safe to say Drummond will go down is the best walk-on player at UConn ever.
No, that's best walk on in the history of the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom