Drummond reminds me... | The Boneyard

Drummond reminds me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
of a young Hakeem Olajuwon.

Now granted I have only seen Andre in highlight videos and I know comparing 18yr olds to NBA All-stars is ridiculously premature, but he is about the same size as Hakeem and he seems to have a similar athleticism around the basket. Can play with his back to the basket, can stick the short jump shot, and handles and moves likes a small forward. Olajuwon was always "big" yet agile - and I see that in Andre. Defense at the high school level is, of course, much different than the Big East, but that agility and athleticism cannot be taught.

Welcome aboard Andre, and I for one look forward to seeing you play for the Huskies!!

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think the Amare Comparison is on point. Although, I believe Drummond has a higher ceiling based on his passing ability and ball handle.

Reaction Score
I totally agree with the passing ability as a strong point. Oriakhi and Smith will get lots of buckets on Andre's passing from the post. I saw him play in Vegas (Adidas 64) against SCA (SoCal Allstars) and he did a really nice job of spotting the open man when double teamed. He didn't just look out to the guards but had a nice ability to spot the other bigs cutting to the basket, even from the weakside. In that game Dunn had a spectacular dunk and Andre had several dunks and a really nice alley-oop too. That game also included another UConn target, Shaqquan Aaron (class of 2014) for SCA (played for Mater Dei High last year, transferring to Taft High this year). He'll be a very good 2 or 3 at the next level. He has a good handle and a very nice shot for a 6'5" - 6'6" player.

Reaction Score
Drummond athletic ability is unreal for someone his size. I think the Amare comparison is spot on.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I completely agree with the Dwight Howard/Amare Stoudamire comparisons. I would have said Kevin Garnett just because of his handle and passing but physically they differ. He will be the prototypical power forward in the NBA. I think he is way more athletic than Hakeem was. Hakeem was not a great leaper but extremely basketball smart and knew how to maneuver and get position on the inside as well as anyone. If he can be a hybrid of all three of these that would be something to see.

As far as AD's great passing ability, I am a bit concerned with the hands of Roscoe, Alex, and Tyler (especially). Maybe if they get used to these kinds of no look, over the shoulder passes in practice they will be ready but I have my doubts. Tyler had especially poor hands last season from what I remember. I think AD would be well served to take the ball to the hole this season rather than attempting the creative passes.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I completely agree with the Dwight Howard/Amare Stoudamire comparisons. I would have said Kevin Garnett just because of his handle and passing but physically they differ. He will be the prototypical power forward in the NBA. I think he is way more athletic than Hakeem was. Hakeem was not a great leaper but extremely basketball smart and knew how to maneuver and get position on the inside as well as anyone. If he can be a hybrid of all three of these that would be something to see.

As far as AD's great passing ability, I am a bit concerned with the hands of Roscoe, Alex, and Tyler (especially). Maybe if they get used to these kinds of no look, over the shoulder passes in practice they will be ready but I have my doubts. Tyler had especially poor hands last season from what I remember. I think AD would be well served to take the ball to the hole this season rather than attempting the creative passes.

He's 6'11" and 270 lbs. No way does he play power forward.

Reaction Score
Hakeem had arguably the best repertoire of post moves. Drummond has a good jump hook. No comparison. I think a young Amare is a good comparison because now Amare is a lights out mid range shooter.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm a Suns fan and the first thing I thought when I saw his mid range game was Amare. If Amare could only pass like that...

Reaction Score
Drummond doesnt have a good midrange game. He will need to develop that and his touch on post moves.

Reaction Score
fI Think his Body/Athleticism remind me of a young Shawn Kemp. Just dominating athlete. His game, however, is identical to Amare his rookie year in the NBA.

So i'm going with a mix of Shawn Kemp and Amare Stoudemire. Eh, not bad.

Reaction Score
The young Chris Webber, because of his passing, ball handling, size and athleticism.

Reaction Score
chris webber is an interesting comparison. not sure if id agree because cw looked like he could play pg in fact he might of done it a few times while at michigan that guy was just a freek! to bad about his knees he couldve been an all time great.

i see AD as amare stoudimire in dwight howards body. this kid is going to be scary by the time march roles around. i think in the begining hes really going to play a secondary role and really defer to his teamates to fit in and be accepted by his teamates and earn their respect. hes going to work hard because he`ll have to. the guys coming back from last years team saw how hard kemba worked and how it payed off in the end and they will push him just as hard as jc will.
banging around in practice with the likes of AO,TO,MB,EW and RS and playing a season of big east basketball where hes going to have guys coming at him every night to see if he lives up to all the hype is going to turn him into a man by tourney time. by that time his teammates will have told him to dominate because no one can stop him and jc who is one of the greatest motivators the sport has ever seen will be in is ear about being more aggressive and believing that he cant be stopped. if he buys in he will be an uncaged beast in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Shawn Kemp's athleticism, Amare Stoudamire's shot, Dwight Howard size

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The kid looks insane but I didn't see a lot of him playing w his back to the basket? Those that have seen him, will he do that often for us next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom