Drummond quotes | The Boneyard

Drummond quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These recent quotes are music to my ears:

On starting: "I think I'm making a lot of progress, because I'm getting more comfortable with the guys. It doesn't really matter to me if I start. I could start the game, finish the game, as long as I get out there and do what I'm supposed to do to help us win, that's what matters".

On free throws:

Reaction Score
Sorry, this free throw quote didn't go through:

"Drummond, though, did plan to do something about it. As the Huskies boarded their bus for Storrs about 10 p.m., he planned to get into Gampel Pavilion and shoot free throws. 'It's open 24 hours,' he said. 'I'll just go in through the basement'."

Reaction Score
he mentioned after the first game that he was a bit uncomfortable not starting. Now it looks like in the next game or 2 he will...but his quote is that he no longer minds.
I think he's just starting to relax and enjoy playing now, and its obviously helping. I cant wait till midway through the season....i believe he will be very close to putting it all together.

Reaction Score
He had 27 minutes yesterday and could start next game. Love it. I think our schedule sets up great for him. The opponents will get gradually bigger and better. By the time we coast into the BE schedule his timing will be locked in. By the end of the year he could be a 20/10 machine.. if he can shoot 50% from the line it would be wonderful..

Reaction Score
jcf2000 said:
if he can shoot 50% from the line it would be wonderful.

It's sad that this is our standard, but it is accurate.

Reaction Score
It's sad that this is our standard, but it is accurate.

Its not sad, and its not our standard. Its one guy on the team who has a ton of other ridiculous skills and stuggles in this one area.

He's working, and that's all you can ask.

Reaction Score
Here's a better quote on the free throws.

Andre Drummond, who went 1-of-8 from the foul line, said he was heading back to campus after the game in Hartford and would be shooting free throws at Gampel Pavilion deep into the night. How many? “Until my arms fall off,” he said.

I don't think that would hurt his FT shooting too much! :)

Reaction Score
Its not sad, and its not our standard. Its one guy on the team who has a ton of other ridiculous skills and stuggles in this one area.

He's working, and that's all you can ask.
If you don't think that 50% accuracy as a nearly unattainable goal is sad, I don't know what to tell you.

I am aware that it is one player. I never criticized any of his other skills. I'm not personally asking anything from the kid. FT shooting is his problem, and he doesn't owe it to me to improve. He's got a ton of talent, I love his game, and think he is is going to develop nicely.

But let's not be oversensitive/overprotective. It is an embarrassment for any D1 high major player to shoot 1-8.

Unless you're missing hands. Then 50% is a reasonable goal.

Reaction Score
If you don't think that 50% accuracy as a nearly unattainable goal is sad, I don't know what to tell you.

I am aware that it is one player. I never criticized any of his other skills. I'm not personally asking anything from the kid. FT shooting is his problem, and he doesn't owe it to me to improve. He's got a ton of talent, I love his game, and think he is is going to develop nicely.

But let's not be oversensitive/overprotective. It is an embarrassment for any D1 high major player to shoot 1-8.

Unless you're missing hands. Then 50% is a reasonable goal.

I'm not overprotective at all. I'm just saying that is not our standard. Everyone else on the team is a 70%+ guy. So its not like 2008-9 when our team was hovering at 63%. Andre will get better but its not a skill that he really owns at this point. Lets just hope it doesn't get into his head even more than it is.

I guess my main point was this: the kid says he's going to work at it until "his arms fall off". If that's the case, and he still is at X%, that's really all you can ask.

Reaction Score
What was his HS FT %?

Has this never come up before?

Maybe we can get Josh Boone to come in and give him a few pointers to try to get his % up over 50%.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
My only concern about Drummond missing his free throws is that other teams will know this and hack the crap out of him... may result in an injury, which we can't afford.

Reaction Score
try shooting a tennis ball into a basket from 15ft. thats what it feels like to a guy with hands that big. very hard to get feel, distance and direction right.

shaq had the same problem. every player has something he cant do....this just may be his. hopefully he can get to 50%. that would actually be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom