Drummond: 32 points, 17 rebounds (full highlights) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Drummond: 32 points, 17 rebounds (full highlights)

Reaction Score
would be nice if he could put up these numbers against a team like, say, Philly...
I think he would have been an All-Star if not for those hiccups against Embid.....stick in everyone's mind.

caw

Reaction Score
I think he would have been an All-Star if not for those hiccups against Embid.....stick in everyone's mind.

I think the centers that went from the East were at least as deserving this year though Andre has looked really good recently.

The main issue is the pistons record, they don’t warrant two all stars. They look better now that both Ish and Reggie are playing again but they lack a consistently good 2 and 3. They have a number of guys who are questionable at best at those positions. Kennard, Bruce Brown, Galloway and (now) Ellington is pretty garbage.

Reaction Score
I think the centers that went from the East were at least as deserving this year though Andre has looked really good recently.

The main issue is the pistons record, they don’t warrant two all stars. They look better now that both Ish and Reggie are playing again but they lack a consistently good 2 and 3. They have a number of guys who are questionable at best at those positions. Kennard, Bruce Brown, Galloway and (now) Ellington is pretty garbage.
Pistons lack everything that isn't Blake and Andre.

Reaction Score
Watched the Pistons beat the Bulls tonight and the Pistons and Drummond were kind of sputtering along through 2.5 quarters and then Drummond went off as did Blake at the end.

20 points and 24 rebounds for Andre, he just had his 8th 20 rebound game against the Bulls.

It's weird to me how much Drummond gets cr@pped on (not making the all-star team) and even by fans on this board. He's still a work in progress on offense with no go to moves but he's getting about 18 points per game and he's been by far the best rebounder in the NBA for years now and one of the best rebounders ever. Add to that top 10 in blocks and steals this season and you have a damn good player. People always seem to want to focus on the things you can't do well and not focus on what you do unbelievably well. Andre is a stud, period.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Pistons are a 2 man team, and both of them play inside. Reggie Jackson is a serviceable starter for a playoff bubble team, nothing more, and the rest of the roster shouldn't be in the Top 8 on a playoff team. Drummond is having a great season considering.

C

Chief00

The Pistons are a 2 man team, and both of them play inside. Reggie Jackson is a serviceable starter for a playoff bubble team, nothing more, and the rest of the roster shouldn't be in the Top 8 on a playoff team. Drummond is having a great season considering.
Chief would love to see Dre in a Celtics uniform. Although, his preference may be to play in NYC.

Reaction Score
Watched the Pistons beat the Bulls tonight and the Pistons and Drummond were kind of sputtering along through 2.5 quarters and then Drummond went off as did Blake at the end.

20 points and 24 rebounds for Andre, he just had his 8th 20 rebound game against the Bulls.

It's weird to me how much Drummond gets cr@pped on (not making the all-star team) and even by fans on this board. He's still a work in progress on offense with no go to moves but he's getting about 18 points per game and he's been by far the best rebounder in the NBA for years now and one of the best rebounders ever. Add to that top 10 in blocks and steals this season and you have a damn good player. People always seem to want to focus on the things you can't do well and not focus on what you do unbelievably well. Andre is a stud, period.
I have been super critical of Andre earlier this year, and I think it was somewhat justified with how he, as well as the Pistons, played in December/January. But, he’s been killing it, like absolutely killing it the last month or so and that reflects in the team’s record. Blake is a sure thing, but if Andre plays like this into the post-season, they could win a series depending on match-up.

Reaction Score

Well said superjohn. Some just focus on the negative not the positive.

Reaction Score
I wish he played like that when he played at UConn. IMO, for all of the hype when he arrived, he wound up being a great disappointment.

Reaction Score
Not only Drummond, the team disappointed also. Wish Andre stayed 1 more year or 2 but didn't need to. Drafted high for life changing money. Great for him.

Reaction Score
I wish he played like that when he played at UConn. IMO, for all of the hype when he arrived, he wound up being a great disappointment.
He was 18 and very raw and still averaged 10 pts, 8 rebs, 3 blks while shooting 29% at FT line. If we had him a 2nd year those numbers would have take a big leap.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
People who took that POV (which included a ton of Pistons fans) tended to focus on his poor help defense and the team's on/off splits with him. Zach Lowe wrote about it back in December:

Lowe: Ten things I like and don't like, including Luka's LeBron dimes

Dude's been a house afire for about the last six weeks now, tho – basically since he wasn't picked for the ASG. His boxscore numbers have obviously taken a bump (especially FG%), but so have his underlying defensive numbers and on/off splits. He's honestly been the best center in the league since the start of February, and just freaking destroyed KAT the other day.

Two other points wrt "among the best rebounders ever."

First, in terms of total rebound rate, Drummond actually is the best rebounder in NBA history:

CJsQLCn.png

That doesn't include Russ & Wilt, but their rebound rates have been calculated by the quants and

Wilt and Russell's data are estimated data from here, here and here.

Second, if Andre stays healthy and keeps rebounding at this rate for the next five years (1200 to 1300 rebounds per year until he's 30), he'll be somewhere between 13,500 and 14,000 total rebounds – top 15ish all-time.

At that point, even if he drops off a bit he'd be a good bet to join Wilt & Russ as only the third player in league history with 20,000 or more rebounds (Wilt & Russ got so many b/c the game was played at a faster pace in the 60s, and because teams shot a much lower % from the field – hence more rebounds available to grab).

Long story short: Andre had a disappointing half-season, but he's on track to be a Hall of Famer.

EDIT: And just FYI, he'll most likely pass Hall of Famers Kevin McHale & Alonzo Mourning in total rebounds the next time he takes the court, which is tomorrow at noon against the bulls.

2nd EDIT: Apparently Lowe wrote about Andre again at the start of March, highlighting all of the above. Just reading it now!

Lowe: The Lakers have no excuses

The work is showing up in subsurface numbers. The Pistons are destroying teams since late January when Drummond holds the fort without Blake Griffin -- segments that had been a weak spot earlier. Opponents over that stretch are shooting just 54 percent at the rim with Drummond nearby, compared to 61 percent before then, per NBA.com.

He has also stopped forcing offense. Drummond is averaging just 3.7 post touches per 100 minutes since his brief absence, down from 7.5 before then, per Second Spectrum.

This is the best stretch of Drummond's career. It's not a coincidence Detroit has won seven of nine. If Drummond keeps this up, Detroit is going to annoy someone in the first round.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People who took that POV (which included a ton of Pistons fans) tended to focus on his poor help defense and the team's on/off splits with him. Zach Lowe wrote about it back in December:

Lowe: Ten things I like and don't like, including Luka's LeBron dimes

Dude's been a house afire for about the last six weeks now, tho – basically since he wasn't picked for the ASG. His boxscore numbers have obviously taken a bump (especially FG%), but so have his underlying defensive numbers and on/off splits. He's honestly been the best center in the league since the start of February, and just freaking destroyed KAT the other day.

Two other points wrt "among the best rebounders ever."

First, in terms of total rebound rate, Drummond actually is the best rebounder in NBA history:

CJsQLCn.png

That doesn't include Russ & Wilt, but their rebound rates have been calculated by the quants and

Wilt and Russell's data are estimated data from here, here and here.

Second, if Andre stays healthy and keeps rebounding at this rate for the next five years (1200 to 1300 rebounds per year until he's 30), he'll be somewhere between 13,500 and 14,000 total rebounds – top 15ish all-time.

At that point, even if he drops off a bit he'd be a good bet to join Wilt & Russ as only the third player in league history with 20,000 or more rebounds (Wilt & Russ got so many b/c the game was played at a faster pace in the 60s, and because teams shot a much lower % from the field – hence more rebounds available to grab).

Long story short: Andre had a disappointing half-season, but he's on track to be a Hall of Famer.

EDIT: And just FYI, he'll most likely pass Hall of Famers Kevin McHale & Alonzo Mourning in total rebounds the next time he takes the court, which is tomorrow at noon against the bulls.

2nd EDIT: Apparently Lowe wrote about Andre again at the start of March, highlighting all of the above. Just reading it now!

Lowe: The Lakers have no excuses

The work is showing up in subsurface numbers. The Pistons are destroying teams since late January when Drummond holds the fort without Blake Griffin -- segments that had been a weak spot earlier. Opponents over that stretch are shooting just 54 percent at the rim with Drummond nearby, compared to 61 percent before then, per NBA.com.

He has also stopped forcing offense. Drummond is averaging just 3.7 post touches per 100 minutes since his brief absence, down from 7.5 before then, per Second Spectrum.

This is the best stretch of Drummond's career. It's not a coincidence Detroit has won seven of nine. If Drummond keeps this up, Detroit is going to annoy someone in the first round.
Great stuff. Drummond and the Pistons were slumping before the all-star break but it's crazy to me how much heat he takes from everyone. You had fans saying trade him for a bag of potato chips and I still think a guy who leads the league in every single rebounding category by a wide margin, most second chance points, and only guy top 10 in blocks and steals should be an all-star.

Last year he only made the all-star team as the last addition after another all-star was hurt and I'm pretty sure there is another season he deserved to he an all-star and didn't get it. He just seems to be held to a different standard than everyone in the league because people focus on his negatives instead of his unbelievable postives.

Reaction Score
Agreed, I do kind of like Luke Kennard though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom