Drummond #1, Lamb #2 | The Boneyard

Drummond #1, Lamb #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apologize if it's been posted already but current mock draft on NBADraft.net has Drummond going #1 overall to the Clippers and Lamb #2 to the Cavs..... Wow

Reaction Score
I never put much stock in these mock drafts. AD #1 followed by Lamb. As much of a homer that I am, I feel like mocking that mock draft. Your Mother Was A Hampster, And Your Father Smelt of Elderberries!

I'd be shocked if UK's Davis is not the #1 pick when it's all said and done. The youngster has freakish skills and athleticism. I realize AD has an edge as far as his combination of athleticism and body type, but Davis seems to have a little more advanced raw skills and looks more ready to play at both this level and the next. I think AD has the chance to be an outstanding NBA player but based on a small sample of games, Davis looks to have as much upside and the safer bet.

As for Lamb, I love his game, with a little Elderberry on the side. I'm not sure if he'll be able to consistently make the same shots at the next level unless he gets a lot stronger. His body type might be problematic, though I think he'll fill out enough to be a very good offensive player. I'm not saying that his game won't translate. If he continues to shoot lights out from NBA deep, that threat along with his ability to hit the midrange floater, which is often there for the taken in the NBA if you can hit that shot, his game just might translate quite nicely. It's the defense that the other two bring to the table that IMO separates them from Lamb and any other top lottery hopefuls.

Reaction Score
I would be pretty surprised if Drummond is not taken #1. I have no concerns about how Lamb's game and build translate to the nba, he's as close to a no brainer as you get.

Reaction Score
I don't see why you would select Davis first. He's a very good player. I'd take him above, say, Barnes or Jones, but there just aren't that many athletic centers out there. There are a bunch of very good power forwards. Grab a guy who can be the next Dwight Howard and go from there.

Reaction Score
This site has actually moved Oriakhi into the first round with his play this year. Really hurt their credibility.

Reaction Score
This site is not very good- they post lists that are close to nonsense sometimes. Nice that their new one shows UCONN some love but I would not pay any attention to what they think.

Reaction Score
Isn't this site just some guy without any connections and a memorable url?

I'd trust DraftExpress.com or Chad Ford before them, but really no mock is even worth looking at until we're very close to the draft.

C

Chief00

I don't think AD going #1 is that far off. I think he may have the most upside and given his size.......that puts him in a very elite class of maybe one.

Reaction Score
Is he supposed to be a center or power-forward? in the games i saw him play, he plays center but he is way too thin to play center in the NBA. I thought his jumper was supposed to be good but he missed the front end of the 1 and 1 in the indiana game and only shoots free throws at 54%. So my question is, would he play center in the nba? hows his jumper?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Apologize if it's been posted already but current mock draft on NBADraft.net has Drummond going #1 overall to the Clippers and Lamb #2 to the Cavs..... Wow

I almost marked this as spam just to see Fishy's reaction.

Reaction Score
In high school he showed he can shoot some but really hasnt shot much at all at UK this year.

Reaction Score
In high school he showed he can shoot some but really hasnt shot much at all at UK this year.

These kids come out of high school underdeveloped, then jump after one year to the NBA. Neither Drummond or Davis are NBA ready, but until they add a second year requirement this will continue to be the way of the future. I think one more year for both kids would do wonders for their development and improve the quality of the NBA.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I honestly like the immediate upside of Austin Rivers above Drummond, as much as it pains me to say it. Rivers will be the best player from next year's draft for the next 5 years and most likely Drummond for the following 5 years (in my humble opinion of course).

Reaction Score
I think your way off on that.

Rivers is a 6'3 scoring guard who's jumper is inconsistent and defense is not reliable. Rivers is a good driver but in the NBA he is going to have a harder time finishing at the rim. I would be completely shocked if 5 years from now Austin Rivers is the best player from this draft class.

Reaction Score
Austin Rivers? ^'3 skinny shooting guards don't normally do too well in the nba. I think it's a mistake for any team taking him in the top 10, he has a very good first step but that's the only thing I see translating to the nba. He has an akward shot, he doesn't have a good body to pack on muscle, he has weak pg skills. Right now the thing he is good at is going by the man guarding him and taking it to the rim, that won't fly in the nba.

Reaction Score
I don't see Anthony Davis having a great career in the NBA. His athleticism and length is off the charts, but the guy just isn't that strong, nor does he have much of an offensive game to speak of at this time. He'll be a great college player. He might even lead Kentucky to the national championship this year. But I don't see many wirery power forwards making a living in the NBA right now. You can be as long as the Nile, but if you don't have the strength you'll get bullied around by NBA forwards.

If the kid had a great one on one game I might think differently. In the games I've watched though, most of his points come on put backs and alley oops, much like Drummond. I have yet to see him take his defender off the dribble or knock down a contested jump shot.

I could be completely wrong, of course. If he harnesses his offensive game and adds some muscle he could be very similar to Kevin Garnett. KG though, had more muscular definition than Davis does. While both are similar offensively at the same age, KG's strength allowed him to get his shot against strong NBA forwards and centers. I see Anthony Davis following in the footsteps of Anthony Randolph. That said, if he's still on the board at 2 or 3 you take him in a hearbeat. You can't pass on the chance to select a Kevin Garnett type player that can turn around a franchise.

As far as Lamb is concerned, I am more and more impressed every time I watch him play. The more I watch, the more I see a poor man's Kevin Durant. Obviously they don't play the same positions, as Durant is a 3 who can play the 4 while Lamb is your prototypical two guard. Athleticly Lamb and Durant are very similar. They both have a quiet explosion, they'll lull you to sleep and then throw down a monster dunk (see Durant's dunk on Haywood last year, or Lamb's dunk against Wagner). They don't have top end speed or great quickness like LeBron or Kobe, but when they get the ball in their spot, they are very difficult to stop.

Defensively, Durant struggled his first couple years in the league, mostly due to his slender frame (what did he bench at the combine again?). Lamb has added some muscle over the last year, but I do expect him to struggle guarding when he first gets to the NBA. Over time, his instincts and length will allow him to become at least an adequate NBA defender though.

To wrap it up, Lamb's game is glaringly similar to Durant's. They aren't jump out of the gym athletes like LeBron James or Dwight Howard, but they have that quiet explosion when they need it. They can both score in a variety of ways. Both are excellent in hitting the transition three, both are incredibly smooth coming off screens and hitting pull up jumpers, and both can shoot over smaller defenders.

The one advantage Durant has over Lamb is his height. As a 6'11 small forward, Durant can shoot over his man pretty much whenever he wants. At 6'5, Lamb has good height for an NBA two guard, but most of the guys he will be going up against will be just as tall as he is, meaning he'll need more separation than did Durant. Still, the calmness and smoothness in Lamb's game makes him too difficult to pass up on. At the very least, I see him as a reliable second or third option on a contender. He'll be a guy defenses will need to pay a lot of attention to, because if you give him a crack he'll find a way to get his shot off.

With all that said, the three best prospects in no particular order, are Drummond, Lamb, and Jones (Baylor). Just my opinon of course. There are about 15 guys this year that I believe would have been taken in the top five last year.

Reaction Score
One thing I've learned through 1/3 of the season is that Anthony Davis is no KG. KG had an advanced post game his rookie year. Davis can catch lobs. He looks much more like a Marcus Campy type player which is quite good.

I have no idea what to expect from Drummond. We haven't seen his face up game which is supposedly his strength offensively. We had heard he had a limited back to the basket game which seems true. He does have enormous potential and I like that JC is making him learn to play in the post. Quinn wanted him to have an all around game but should have had the 6'10 270 lb. kid focus more on establishing position than ball handling.

I am growing more confident that Lamb will have a great Rip like career at the least. His continued improvement is amazing and he already possesses many NBA quality skills. I think even us homer Uconn fans will be surprised with how good he is at the next level.

Jones III has unlimited potential. People are sleeping on him way for God knows what reason. I guess its more fun to hyperbolize Harrison Barnes' talent.

Reaction Score
the only guy i see who could be in the 12` draft that is a franchise changing player is AD and thats if he does live up to his enormous potential. 6`10 270 with athleticism out the wazzu he could dominate the league for a decade if he plays to that ability. davis,lamb,sullinger,barnes,jones and rivers can all be very good players even all stars someday but i dont think any of those guys will be franchise changers like AD could be.

Reaction Score
Having seen Davis play in High school some he has some skill. his shot is a lot better than he shows but he has a lower release than you would want witch limits his potential.

This is a point I cant say enough, Anthony Davis an Andre Drummond are 18 years old we are seeing just the start of what they are going to be which makes it so difficult to project what they are going to be when they are 25. Anthony Davis was a 6'2 guard his sophomore year. I see Anthony Davis as a more offensive Marcus Camby.

Drummond shows flashes of his tremendous upside. Drummond seems like the ultimate boom or bust pick to me. He could be a all star franchise player in time or he could be a guy who never reaches his true potential.

They always compare Terrence Jones to Lamar Odom and I just don't see that. I actually think Perry Jones reminds me more of Lamar Odom than Terrence Jones. Perry Jones is another guy who could be the next Lamar Odom or he could be the next Anthony Randolph. It is a really interesting draft class with safe names like Sullinger and Barnes and guys who ooze potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom