Dropoff next year? Look at these stats | The Boneyard

Dropoff next year? Look at these stats

Reaction Score
Everytime you lose a bunch of kids from a championship team, it is natural to think that the previous level will be hard to reach. It was our narrative after #5 and It's a concern after #6.

We have a tendency to only judge what we see in front of us. But this stat eased any fear that I had, especially concerning one very important metric:
Rebounding from our guards.

It's been said that we don't have the rebounding guards we did this past year. But I think we might... Look at this:

From their last years in non-uconn, high major competition to this past year, here are our guards' improvement on the glass:

Hass at A&M- 1.8 rpg
Hass 23-24- 3 rpg

Cam at RU- 3.1 rpg
Cam 23-24= 4.9 rpg

TN @ECU- 4.8 rpg
TN 23-24 - 6.6 rpg

And this is with DC, SJ Steph and AK grabbing a good portion of the boards.

Point: don't judge the straw, embrace the spun gold.

Reaction Score
As I have said before just let our coaches throw this group into the UConn playbook cauldron and watch the magic happen. They will squeeze every bit of talent out of every player. This is not random throwing them out there and see what happens and hoping for the best. Is This the best UConn fans have ever had it? I say yes.

Reaction Score
I don't know how we get there, but I highly doubt a Hurley led team is every going to bad on the boards. Not even remotely a concern of mine.
Agreed. My main concern is rim protection, just natural there’s going to be a decent drop off from what we’ve seen the past two years. Puts more pressure on their perimeter defense.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Everytime you lose a bunch of kids from a championship team, it is natural to think that the previous level will be hard to reach. It was our narrative after #5 and It's a concern after #6.

We have a tendency to only judge what we see in front of us. But this stat eased any fear that I had, especially concerning one very important metric:
Rebounding from our guards.

It's been said that we don't have the rebounding guards we did this past year. But I think we might... Look at this:

From their last years in non-uconn, high major competition to this past year, here are our guards' improvement on the glass:

Hass at A&M- 1.8 rpg
Hass 23-24- 3 rpg

Cam at RU- 3.1 rpg
Cam 23-24= 4.9 rpg

TN @ECU- 4.8 rpg
TN 23-24 - 6.6 rpg

And this is with DC, SJ Steph and AK grabbing a good portion of the boards.

Point: don't judge the straw, embrace the spun gold.

Cam averaged 4.8 his last year at Loyola (albeit it in more MPG). And Newton was a great rebounder at ECU.

In any event, I'm way less concerned (although still a bit concerned) about offensive rebounding than I am about defending the rim. I'm sure Samson and Reed will be good. But this past year we had somebody sensational.

Reaction Score
Cam averaged 4.8 his last year at Loyola (albeit it in more MPG). And Newton was a great rebounder at ECU.

In any event, I'm way less concerned (although still a bit concerned) about offensive rebounding than I am about defending the rim. I'm sure Samson and Reed will be good. But this past year we had somebody sensational.
Yeah, it can’t get much better than it has been the last 2 years. Samson will get better at staying on the floor. I think he has potential for ~2 bpg.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom