Drop bombs or prepare for a horror show | The Boneyard

Drop bombs or prepare for a horror show

Reaction Score
Any clue on how we’re gonna try and win this thing tonight?

Transition offense will be the best way, but it hasn’t been great this year.

In the half court, my guess is that we’re gonna have to try and take it to the hole and get their bigs in foul trouble in the first half, but if that doesn’t work we’re gonna need to chuck 3s and hope they fall. I don’t think we can win taking jumpers from 10-12 ft.

D is going to have to put a lot of pressure on the ball to try to keep their bigs from getting the ball in good position.

I’m optimistic, but I’m also preparing for a horror show.

Reaction Score
Based on the limited viewing of Arizona this year, there may be a decent opportunity on offense to play the high pick and switch game with Ayton. If you can get Ayton on JA one on one, you can take him off the dribble. Key is getting Ayton up top and taking their second 7 footer away from the paint (read: need to hit some shots). Offensively, its pretty simple, and its the same thing everyone has complained about - have to hit shots, and keep the off ball movement going. Cant get caught ball watching against this team, or they will turn you over and be at the rim on the other end before you blink.

Defensively, I feel we have some options to take Ayton out of his element, but bottom line, if the man decides to be aggressive, you wont be stopping him, regardless of what team he's playing. I don't want to say hes necessarily soft around the rim, because he has thrown some monster dunks this season, but I don't feel like that's his first instinct. If he catches it and faces up from 8-12 feet out, he will most times be looking to shoot, and his jumper is OK, he'll hit 40% if you give him the space. But if a defender lets him get set up in the paint or just outside, back to basket, you've already lost that battle. Doubling him when his back is to the basket is an option, but with their shooters hitting as of late, might be a detriment. The best option for Ayton is to never take your body off from him. Do not let him move easily through the lane. If you make him work hard for position, he likes to get set up outside where he may hit a few 3's, but I'd rather have him shooting from the arch than the paint. When he sets picks up high, he looks to pop most of the time.

Again, I only saw a couple of games, one early vs NC State, and the A&M game. The man knows how to move and is a great defensive rebounder. Has tools to develop into a good NBA talent. Someone told me he has the game that mirrors Lamarcus Aldridge but with the physical build of Dwight Howard, not sure I would go that far, but that would have the make up of a future NBA star.

Reaction Score
Based on the limited viewing of Arizona this year, there may be a decent opportunity on offense to play the high pick and switch game with Ayton. If you can get Ayton on JA one on one, you can take him off the dribble. Key is getting Ayton up top and taking their second 7 footer away from the paint (read: need to hit some shots). Offensively, its pretty simple, and its the same thing everyone has complained about - have to hit shots, and keep the off ball movement going. Cant get caught ball watching against this team, or they will turn you over and be at the rim on the other end before you blink.

Defensively, I feel we have some options to take Ayton out of his element, but bottom line, if the man decides to be aggressive, you wont be stopping him, regardless of what team he's playing. I don't want to say hes necessarily soft around the rim, because he has thrown some monster dunks this season, but I don't feel like that's his first instinct. If he catches it and faces up from 8-12 feet out, he will most times be looking to shoot, and his jumper is OK, he'll hit 40% if you give him the space. But if a defender lets him get set up in the paint or just outside, back to basket, you've already lost that battle. Doubling him when his back is to the basket is an option, but with their shooters hitting as of late, might be a detriment. The best option for Ayton is to never take your body off from him. Do not let him move easily through the lane. If you make him work hard for position, he likes to get set up outside where he may hit a few 3's, but I'd rather have him shooting from the arch than the paint. When he sets picks up high, he looks to pop most of the time.

Again, I only saw a couple of games, one early vs NC State, and the A&M game. The man knows how to move and is a great defensive rebounder. Has tools to develop into a good NBA talent. Someone told me he has the game that mirrors Lamarcus Aldridge but with the physical build of Dwight Howard, not sure I would go that far, but that would have the make up of a future NBA star.
Ayton is projected to be a franchise player in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Ayton is projected to be a franchise player in the NBA.

Yes, I'm aware. Even more reason to dissect his abilities and look for possible ways to defend him.

@Guapo - Do you have any legitimate analysis of how to game plan for him? I like basketball, I like discussing basketball. I'm not going to take one look at Ayton, say he's the next big thing and move on, I'd honestly like to chat about ways to win.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm aware. Even more reason to dissect his abilities and look for possible ways to defend him.

@Guapo - Do you have any legitimate analysis of how to game plan for him? I like basketball, I like discussing basketball. I'm not going to take one look at Ayton, say he's the next big thing and move on, I'd honestly like to chat about ways to win.

Lol, I'm sorry.

I think it's possible to win if we shoot well.

The game plan for Ayton I think is just using our rotation of big men to be physical with him and eat fouls.

There's nothing I've seen from this team or coaching staff so far this season that shows me we have the personal to deal with him in any other way. Have you seen him? He's a monster!

I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
Lol, I'm sorry.

I think it's possible to win if we shoot well.

The game plan for Ayton I think is just using our rotation of big men to be physical with him and eat fouls.

There's nothing I've seen from this team or coaching staff so far this season that shows me we have the personal to deal with him in any other way. Have you seen him? He's a monster!

I hope I'm wrong.

Completely agree - our personnel just don't match up, talent wise and basketball maturity wise. Ayton, even as a freshman, just knows where to be on the court and how to get himself in position. But I've seen two sides of him. He his confident in some positions and less confident in others. If our defense can keep him out of position, you can take him out of the game for short spurts. I don't know his fouls per but Arizona is well coached, when UCONN goes in depending on getting their big men in foul trouble, we may have already lost...

Here's to hoping the week off was spent on moving defensively and shooting the ball!

Reaction Score
Completely agree - our personnel just don't match up, talent wise and basketball maturity wise. Ayton, even as a freshman, just knows where to be on the court and how to get himself in position. But I've seen two sides of him. He his confident in some positions and less confident in others. If our defense can keep him out of position, you can take him out of the game for short spurts. I don't know his fouls per but Arizona is well coached, when UCONN goes in depending on getting their big men in foul trouble, we may have already lost...

Here's to hoping the week off was spent on moving defensively and shooting the ball!

I get that the screen at the top of the key takes him out of position, but they still have another 7 footer to patrol the post, which makes this different.

As far as lineups, we either go with our three guard lineup with Larrier and one other big (and give up the rebound battle all together), or try to put a cobb/diarra or keep two other bigs on the floor which limits us offensively but may help boxing out. I thought we stayed with the three guard lineup too long in the syracuse game and they murdered us with put backs. My guess is that we start with a small lineup and if we can't play that way, we make a quick change.

Crazy how this games reminds me of the old NES ice hockey game were you could choose how many small, medium and fat guys you had on the ice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Our center by committee has to body up their two bigs early and often and get them out of their comfort zone. We need to pressure their guards and hopefully force some turnovers.

Reaction Score
Any clue on how we’re gonna try and win this thing tonight?

Transition offense will be the best way, but it hasn’t been great this year.

In the half court, my guess is that we’re gonna have to try and take it to the hole and get their bigs in foul trouble in the first half, but if that doesn’t work we’re gonna need to chuck 3s and hope they fall. I don’t think we can win taking jumpers from 10-12 ft.

D is going to have to put a lot of pressure on the ball to try to keep their bigs from getting the ball in good position.

I’m optimistic, but I’m also preparing for a horror show.
Play Larrier at the 5 to pull Ayton out.

Reaction Score
I already see this game being called with ticky tacky fouls on uconn if we even remotely get physical in the post against Ayton, we see this time and again with our bigs vs Cincinnati, smu, Auburn and watch against Wichita st , it sucks watching the game cuz the refs already don’t give us a chance and we be in the penalty by the 12 min mark first half smh. I’m just hoping we can stop turning the ball over and get a shot every trip at the basket, play good defense n don’t over help .. but idk especially with the 12 day layoff how we gonna play better than we been playing, shh.. it didn’t help UNC last night.! But in my heart Go Blue

Reaction Score
Play Larrier at the 5 to pull Ayton out.

Yeah, I don't think that is going to work out well.

We will get absolutely destroyed inside defensively and on the boards.

And offensively, we will get even more drives from Terry, which means more balls dribbled off his legs/feet and more turnovers, ramping up the pace of the game and giving Arizona more opportunities to use its athleticism and skill advantages to score on us.

That is definitely not a winning strategy.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't think that is going to work out well.

We will get absolutely destroyed inside defensively and on the boards.

And offensively, we will get even more drives from Terry, which means more balls dribbled off his legs/feet and more turnovers, ramping up the pace of the game and giving Arizona more opportunities to use its athleticism and skill advantages to score on us.

That is definitely not a winning strategy.
It was a little fascetious As long as they make shots we witnessed fine. Again not a game we are supposed to win. Let’s see some growth.

Reaction Score
It was a little fascetious As long as they make shots we witnessed fine. Again not a game we are supposed to win. Let’s see some growth.

funny, i actually thought about it after the post and thought maybe your suggestion would be our only hope. pretty much only hope is to get ayton into foul trouble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom