DraftExpress: Top NBA Draft Prospects in AAC [Brimah, Adams, DHam, Enoch] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DraftExpress: Top NBA Draft Prospects in AAC [Brimah, Adams, DHam, Enoch]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Because the website is called DRAFTEXPRESS, they discuss and scout players for that purpose, if you don't like then don't read it.

Typical, good snotty reply. Actually, I don't read it, I read the BY, which also begs a question. The deeper question, pal, is why a publication about the draft includes any kids who've never played a college game. 2/3 of a season of play and then predict away. At least there is some actual performance to make judgments about. Pre-season draft projections are as useful as pre-season polls. Worthless.

Yeah, let's do away with high school scouting!

Hey, probably a good idea, assuming you don't mean college scouts. I don't think the pros need Draft Express to figure out which hs kids have a prayer after one year of college ball, or right out of hs if they could do it. They'll actually watch them play and then decide. Must be the pros read do DRAFTEXPRESS, why else would they be drafting guys early like Thabeet (I know how big he is, but I actually watched him play for three years). If I learned one thing from Jim Calhoun it was how young many players are when they first get noticed. The pros have a decent idea who might be worth a look coming out of hs and certainly need at least one college year to decide for themselves.

Reaction Score
Typical, good snotty reply. Actually, I don't read it, I read the BY, which also begs a question. The deeper question, pal, is why a publication about the draft includes any kids who've never played a college game. 2/3 of a season of play and then predict away. At least there is some actual performance to make judgments about. Pre-season draft projections are as useful as pre-season polls. Worthless.

Draftexpress starts scouting kids in high school, if you're actually asking why freshman are being included in potential draft talk then there is really no point of you being in this thread because the game has passed you by. There really is no way to frame my response by not sounding snotty or snooty or whatever because that is how absurd you old dudes sound acting like it is impossible for freshman or HS kids to be discussed within the framework of future NBA drafts. Welcome to 2015, there ain't no going back.

Reaction Score
High school scouting is not going away, and as long as it exists you will be able to extrapolate NBA potential from it.

This is not difficult to understand.

Reaction Score
The deeper question, pal, is why a publication about the draft includes any kids who've never played a college game. 2/3 of a season of play and then predict away. At least there is some actual performance to make judgments about. Pre-season draft projections are as useful as pre-season polls. Worthless.

You're just wrong here. NBA scouts can evaluate Ben Simmons without watching him play a handful of games for LSU. There's a body of work that exists. Same goes for any of these really highly-touted kids.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
At this juncture, I just (hate to say this), would see Brimah as a higher probability bust. Blocks are nice, but with lots of fouls, mediocre rebounding, and less potential for easy dunks, I just don't have high projections for him. If I were a GM, I'd love him as a second rounder for potential upside, but wouldn't really want to gamble on him in the top 25.

I hear you on Adams. I'm only a bit concerned with how saturated the league is with guards. I think he'll eventually (and maybe already is) be a better UConn player than Hamilton, but I wanted to let him play a few games before
making proclamations.

I'm really curious to see what we'll get out of Purvis this year.
I was actually thinking the same thing with Brimah, since he resembles Thabeet a bit... but we haven't even seen Enoch play a game. Brimah might be the best defensive Center in college hoops. I'm not saying Enoch wont eventually be a better prospect. He very well might, but at this point I just cant put him ahead.

Reaction Score
We have an article about the best draft prospects in the conference, that is why we are talking about the NBA . If you want to be negative about something,go somewhere else and complain.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Draftexpress starts scouting kids in high school, if you're actually asking why freshman are being included in potential draft talk then there is really no point of you being in this thread because the game has passed you by. There really is no way to frame my response by not sounding snotty or snooty or whatever because that is how absurd you old dudes sound acting like it is impossible for freshman or HS kids to be discussed within the framework of future NBA drafts. Welcome to 2015, there ain't no going back.

Sorry young dude. It isn't a matter of going back or denying the present. It's a matter of observing that including kids who haven't taken a shot in a college game into a draft projection is pointless other then to get a callow young generation into a debate that has no real basis in fact. Kind of like the politics your generation is used to.

Reaction Score

Sorry young dude. It isn't a matter of going back or denying the present. It's a matter of observing that including kids who haven't taken a shot in a college game into a draft projection is pointless other then to get a callow young generation into a debate that has no real basis in fact. Kind of like the politics your generation is used to.

Do you understand what a prospect is? It's the people they want to watch play. How is that a thing you could possibly object to?

It's not scandalous for Draft Express to say they are more interested in Jalen than an older player.

Reaction Score

YouMad.jpg

Reaction Score

Hey, probably a good idea, assuming you don't mean college scouts. I don't think the pros need Draft Express to figure out which hs kids have a prayer after one year of college ball, or right out of hs if they could do it. They'll actually watch them play and then decide. Must be the pros read do DRAFTEXPRESS, why else would they be drafting guys early like Thabeet (I know how big he is, but I actually watched him play for three years). If I learned one thing from Jim Calhoun it was how young many players are when they first get noticed. The pros have a decent idea who might be worth a look coming out of hs and certainly need at least one college year to decide for themselves.
Well, anyone would want to see as much of a body of work as possible, but - it's not like there haven't always been a ton of NBA guys scouting high school. Prior to the NBA's 1 year rule, how many high draft picks never played college hoops? Garnett, Koby, Dwight, Bynum were certainly evaluated by the NBA. Lots of busts, too, but we're curious about scouting and projections that have been a part of the game for a long time.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
High school scouting is not going away, and as long as it exists you will be able to extrapolate NBA potential from it.

This is not difficult to understand.
There is really no point to a preseason projection that relates to a system reliant to a large extent on actual performance. If kids could be drafted out of hs, then it might make some sense, but then these publications would have include kids before their senior year. A publication that bothers to rank so many younger players preseason is bound to be substantially different well into the season. Makes preseason pointless just like debating pre season ranks. BTY, those are even worse because they are used for real tournament purposes. There are always teams who surprise or disappoint. Because of the time it takes for the rankings to reflect actual performance, those rankings mean nothing for a couple of months.

Reaction Score

Based on the number of freshmen and underclassmen that get drafted every year, NBA GMs, coaches, and scouts would probably disagree with your claim that its pointless. Draftexpress and NBADraft.net's page hits and revenue would probably disagree as well.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You're just wrong here. NBA scouts can evaluate Ben Simmons without watching him play a handful of games for LSU. There's a body of work that exists. Same goes for any of these really highly-touted kids.
Not my point. What does Deaftexoress preseason draft projections have to do with the pro ability to evaluate hs kids?

Reaction Score
There is really no point to a preseason projection that relates to a system reliant to a large extent on actual performance. If kids could be drafted out of hs, then it might make some sense, but then these publications would have include kids before their senior year. A publication that bothers to rank so many younger players preseason is bound to be substantially different well into the season. Makes preseason pointless just like debating pre season ranks. BTY, those are even worse because they are used for real tournament purposes. There are always teams who surprise or disappoint. Because of the time it takes for the rankings to reflect actual performance, those rankings mean nothing for a couple of months.

You seem to be completely missing the point of their list. It's a list of who to watch in the upcoming season for people who aren't AAC fans. How on Earth is this objectionable.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
CZ, regardless of whether or not you think this is a worthless industry, plenty of schmoes (myself included) will eat it up. Therefore, it's a financial boon for sites like DraftExpress. Why would they pass up increased advertising revenue?

Reaction Score
Enoch is a big boy. He reminds me of Josh Boone. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Reaction Score
I'm excited about some of the recent talk about Enoch. In multiple threads by casual fans and paid basketball experts alike. The consensus first impression seems to be something along the lines of...Enoch is a pro. Considering all anyone has seen is 1 practice he must make an impression. One of the student posters suggested he was late to help a few times (which is expected for a freshman), but he must be a pretty mobile big. Athletic and big are the words everyone is using.

Reaction Score
I am surprised to see Brimah at the top of that list. Other than shot blocking, his biggest skill is throwing down lobs from DHam. He has also proven to be extremely foul prone. While he is a definite NBA prospect, I think he will go late first or second round unless he really improves his low post game AND propensity to get into foul trouble.

There is no doubt he is a game changer on D at the college level, however, he needs to improve those areas and his rebounding to be someone considered in the first 20 or so picks.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I am surprised to see Brimah at the top of that list. Other than shot blocking, his biggest skill is throwing down lobs from DHam. He has also proven to be extremely foul prone. While he is a definite NBA prospect, I think he will go late first or second round unless he really improves his low post game AND propensity to get into foul trouble.

There is no doubt he is a game changer on D at the college level, however, he needs to improve those areas and his rebounding to be someone considered in the first 20 or so picks.
I agree, but some things to consider...
He missed all of last off-season with shoulder surgery. He couldn't lift, couldn't shoot. This is VERY important for a young big man like Brimah to be doing those things. I fully expect him to have done that this off-season since I've heard he has an excellent work ethic.

You cant teach size/length. If he can get a bit stronger and get a better feel for blocking shots/rebounding he could be a lottery pick. Most likely I think he goes in the end of the first. (If he leaves)

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Everyone has to make a living. I would have to say that the guys running the DraftExpress picked a a great way to do that.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think it is a bit premature for the underclassmen too.If I was spending money for an NBA team, I wouldn't pay much attention.

What want to know is what #1 in the AAC means in the NBA draft? 3rd? 10th, 27th?
And what does 7th meas? 20th?4oth 70th

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There is certainly some astuteness to this post. Wisdom isn't a given with old age. But you prove the point that lack of wisdom isn't age specific. Yes this is a DraftExpress thread that someone dared to ridicule one particular point regarding projections. Is there a reason you chose to go against your own advice which is to ignore something that bothers us? Or did I miss the memo on what constitutes absurdity? One further tangent if I may. When you get old, and I hope you can attain that privilege, I project you will make the cranky old person team. I hope I'm wrong about the cranky part. You're intelligent. I hope you can add wisdom, patience and compassion to your qualities. Or should we ignore those traits and concentrate exclusively on someones ability to rebound, shoot or dribble?

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, the casual fan loves this kind of talk and we all have some of that in us. But, I agree there are many more guys that get talked about than actually make the NBA.

Putting my own casual fan hat on for a moment, based on what I have seen not heard, I think many are over projecting Brimah's pro career - he is a hard worker so maybe we will finally see some causation between hard work and progress. Will some pro team fall in love with his shot blocking and ability to run the court ? That's possible since we have seen it before.

I really like Adams and Larrier (although I have seen less of him). Enoch - I think potentially may be our best big and he also works hard. I like a big with muscle - I know some will say I am so Clyde school on that but so be it.
Hamilton is a NBA player and while I really like Purvis's attitude and athleticism I struggle to see a position for him unless he consistently upgrades his outside shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom