Down to 2 radio affiliates - not good! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Down to 2 radio affiliates - not good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think a billboard might be useful in selling Top of the Rent ticket packages. People may not realize just how inexpensive they actually are. Do a 'season tickets starting at..." series of ads on the major drags. Then again I'm not sure how much TV and radio selling we are doing.

While we are marketing ideas, why not give a discount to new grads? 30% off the first year, 20% the second and 10% the third year. Get them in the habit of going to the games.
Well, we did sell out Top of the Rent and the Young Alumni section. You could make a case for expanding Young Alumni in the future, perhaps UConn would prefer they buy regular season tickets.

Reaction Score
Talked with Warde Manuel after the spring game about the radio "network". Told him that after watching two away games on TV last season I listened to the radio post game show--in the car. The reception here in Milford is spotty at best and I refuse to pay to listen online. He said that he had similar experiences when he was driving to Fairfield County or NYC and couldn't get hoops games on the radio. (Have you seen his huge pick up truck--that thing doesn't have Sirius/XM?)

Expanding the radio network has the direct benefit of games on the air as well as the indirect benefit of collateral promotion that goes along with airing the games. C'mon UCONN, get it together.

UConnIMGSports12:34pm via Web
Reminder to our fans in Fairfield County: new radio affiliate that will be carrying @UConnMBB & @UConnWBB games: WGCH-Greenwich (1490-AM)

Reaction Score
Living down here on the NY/CT border its really fustrating that I cannot listen to Uconn BB and FB on the radio unless I turn on my computer and use www.wtic.com. Of course, the computer option fell behind the cbs paywall last year, so actually that is no longer available either. I know Warde has a lot on his plate, but we really need to have a radio presence in FF lower county, particularly if we are going to sell Uconn as the flagship of CT, premiere public university of NE and influential in the NYC DMA.

Agree; but, it may have been luck, I was able to listen to a UConn game on WTIC driving back from CT all the way back to my house in Northern Jersey.

Reaction Score
Picked up WTIC in Rocky Mount N.C. at 530 AM, clear as a bell, at least until the antenna switch, around 6 AM.

Reaction Score
Look forward to trying this as an option, although the coverage map doesn't look too promising.

I tried to listen to both WTIC and 960 in New Haven last week for the men's basketball pregame show as I drove from Bridgeport to Milford. Each station was a static-y nightmare.

They really need a strong station along the coastline. Disappointed that WICC dropped UCONN basketball broadcasts when it picked up Sacred Heart basketball. Don't understand the draw (no offense, SHU hoops fans).

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Look forward to trying this as an option, although the coverage map doesn't look too promising.

I tried to listen to both WTIC and 960 in New Haven last week for the men's basketball pregame show as I drove from Bridgeport to Milford. Each station was a static-y nightmare.

They really need a strong station along the coastline. Disappointed that WICC dropped UCONN basketball broadcasts when it picked up Sacred Heart basketball. Don't understand the draw (no offense, SHU hoops fans).
Feel the same here... WICC must not have the $ to pay up.

Reaction Score
Couldn't wait to check out 1490 when I got in the car this morning. Finally a reliable, powerful UCONN sports broadcast here in Milford.

Congratulations, UCONN--I can now choose between three stations of static and frustration instead of sports programming.

Please tell me the radio network genius is not involved in the head coach search......

Reaction Score
I drive home from games in Hartford and Storrs. When WTIC fades I switch to WELI 960 which comes in good for me west of New Haven. Last year I emailed both the New Haven Register and WELI that the Register wasn't even listing that the games were available on a local station. The Register emailed me back a thank you and started listing WELI. This year they are leaving them out again. If I were WELI, I'd be upset about paying to carry the games and the local paper only lists WTIC again this year. But if WELI reads this post, PLEASE continue to carry UConn football and basketball!!!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
We still have big holes, though, especially at night (as AM coverage has to go down)

WELI at night: http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WELI&service=AM&status=L&hours=N
WTIC at night: http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WTIC&service=AM&status=L&hours=N
WGCH all the time: http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WGCH&service=AM&status=L&hours=U
WILI all the time: http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WILI&service=AM&status=L&hours=U

We still need something that covers the western half of state at night! Maybe we could hijack a stupid country station in WWYZ. Would be just about perfect, and FM!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Couldn't wait to check out 1490 when I got in the car this morning. Finally a reliable, powerful UCONN sports broadcast here in Milford.

Congratulations, UCONN--I can now choose between three stations of static and frustration instead of sports programming.

Please tell me the radio network genius is not involved in the head coach search......
1490 didn't even come through last night in Norwalk!!!! they really need WICC for Fairfield County!

Reaction Score
1490 didn't even come through last night in Norwalk!!!! they really need WICC for Fairfield County!
Try clearing the snow off your aluminum foil on the Dipole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom