Down by 1...10 seconds to go full court in the NC...Who??? | The Boneyard

Down by 1...10 seconds to go full court in the NC...Who???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What 5 UConn players do you want on the court and who takes the final shot?

My team: Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Stewart & Charles with the ball in Maya's hands to win it all at the buzzer!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm guessing most people would choose the same 5 ;)

With only 10 seconds, I would have Sue bring it in and pass quickly to Stewart somewhere around midcourt. Her wingspan will allow her to corral the ball under duress, and she has a good enough handle not to be trapped easily there. She can take a quick power dribble to get free and look quickly upcourt.

Charles is in the post. Maya is floating around the top of the key, looking to set screens for Diana as needed. Stewart looks for DT and passes the ball to her as soon as possible.

If DT gets the ball, there are maybe 5 seconds left. She can create her own shot or look for Maya who is rolling toward the lane. With this combo, you have the greatest player with the ball in her hands (DT) and the greatest player without the ball (Maya) in the right places. One of these two will take the final shot. If DT doesn't get it, Stewie passes to Maya who looks to create in the midrange or slip it down to Charles if there is an opening.

As soon as she passes, Stewart runs hard toward the basket so that when the ball goes up, she can be there for an O-board as time expires.

Charles is underneath, also looking for a putback at the buzzer if needed.

Sue is out high in case all hell breaks loose and there is a scrum or fight for the ball. If there is, she grabs the ball and shoots at the buzzer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Of course the guard who has actually done it late in a National Championship game while trailing is Jen, and depending on whether we are playing new rules or old and are bringing it to half court after a time out or starting at the baseline, I might opt for Moriah against a pressing team. The other four are no brainers.

And the other player to consider would be Lobo - her second half against TN ranks with Maya's against Stanford and Taurus's against TX as the most clutch NCAA second half performances after trailing at half time in Uconn history I think.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree with the above, but recall that Caroline Doty, while rehabbing her knee, mastered some incredible shots.

Reaction Score
What 5 UConn players do you want on the court and who takes the final shot?

My team: Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Stewart & Charles with the ball in Maya's hands to win it all at the buzzer!
Geno said " no one can guards her in the country" You know who I'm picking. :D

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Sue Bird takes the ball out of bounds and passes to Ketia Swanier who dribbles the length of the court at a lightening pace that is so quick defenses don't have time to react. She goes in for the layup or a dish to Charles/Moore inside or DT wherever she is standing.

Hey I gotta go with the girl who has actually done it ;-)

Reaction Score
Check out this 5 minutes of beautiful basketball, especially the end (starting at 3:50 of the video, 1:38 of the game clock)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Check out this 5 minutes of beautiful basketball, especially the end (starting at 3:50 of the video, 1:38 of the game clock)

Some videos are ageless. UConn winning a championship WILL NEVER get old. :D

Reaction Score
Funny I was just talking to my husband last night about Diana (he never saw her play). Told him how he missed out she is the best and most clutch player I've ever seen. No doubt in my mind I'd want Diana taking the shot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll live and die with a healthy KML taking the last shot. I have that much confidence in her.

Reaction Score
I would have DT take the shot but having said that go to you tube and put in Sue Bird Buzzer Beaters and the clips of Sue doing it again and again will make you think twice.

Reaction Score
Back inthe day,when it was Diana and others,a team could have employed an octagon and one with the octagon on Diana and she would still be my go to player for a final shot. I would not alter this strategy even with all of these other great Uconn standouts on the court with her.

Reaction Score
Back inthe day,when it was Diana and others,a team could have employed an octagon and one with the octagon on Diana and she would still be my go to player for a final shot. I would not alter this strategy even with all of these other great Uconn standouts on the court with her.
Taurasi with a combination of any 4 walk-ons who ever donned a UCONN uniform. D takes the shot from anywere on the floor, nothing but net, crowd goes wild, cut down the nets, hand over the trophy, pop the corks, fire up the parade float.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This is a really, really, really, really tough choice between Bird and Taurasi. If I had to choose, I'd go with Taurasi. She's probably the greatest money player in the history of the sport.

Reaction Score
I would have DT take the shot but having said that go to you tube and put in Sue Bird Buzzer Beaters and the clips of Sue doing it again and again will make you think twice.
I'm good with either one - hard to go wrong with that choice.

Reaction Score
Jefferson - speed, speed, penetration to rim, excellent 3 pt shooter, did I say speed
Stewart - tall, impossible defensive match up, very good passer
Abrosimova - tall, multi-faceted scorer, fast (must promise not to repeat bonehead pass to Williams in Final Four, however)
Bascomb - never saw her play, but for a long while it seemed like she was winning game after game late
Taurasi - would be my only choice for last shot, but would easily live with any of the others

Add KML if a 3 pointer were needed, but Taurasi still my primary choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom