Dougie brought up a fun point.... | The Boneyard

Dougie brought up a fun point....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who are your Top 10 coaches in mens hoops of all time? This could be argued and change in so many ways.........

A question on whether Jim B is a Top 10 coach and I was on the Cuse board reading a thread of 4 pages which wouldn't even mention Jim Calhoun. One poster actually said:

"Hard to argue JB is a top ten all time coach when K, Izzo, Donovan, Self, and Pitino,all have better resumes."(Self?)................I know they find it hard at the Cuse to understand JC surpassed their hero a long time ago and made his way into the top tier by doing what he did in Storrs.......but that's not my point. My point here is who is your Top 10 coaches, teachers of the game and the student athletes?

1) John Wooden
2) Adolph Rupp
3) Bobby Knight
4) Coach K
5) Jim Calhoun
6) Dean Smith
7) Hank Iba
8) Eddie Sutton
9) Rick Pitino
10) Jim Boeheim..........................Arguments for Izzo, Donovan, Dr Tom Davis and a few others!

Reaction Score
Who are your Top 10 coaches in mens hoops of all time? This could be argued and change in so many ways.........

A question on whether Jim B is a Top 10 coach and I was on the Cuse board reading a thread of 4 pages which wouldn't even mention Jim Calhoun. One poster actually said:

"Hard to argue JB is a top ten all time coach when K, Izzo, Donovan, Self, and Pitino,all have better resumes."(Self?)................I know they find it hard at the Cuse to understand JC surpassed their hero a long time ago and made his way into the top tier by doing what he did in Storrs.......but that's not my point. My point here is who is your Top 10 coaches, teachers of the game and the student athletes?

1) John Wooden
2) Adolph Rupp
3) Bobby Knight
4) Coach K
5) Jim Calhoun
6) Dean Smith
7) Hank Iba
8) Eddie Sutton
9) Rick Pitino
10) Jim Boeheim..........................Arguments for Izzo, Donovan, Dr Tom Davis and a few others!
Izzo before JB. No contest.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
  1. John Wooden
  2. Adolph Rupp
  3. Bobby Knight
  4. Jim Calhoun
  5. Coach K
  6. Dean Smith
  7. Jerry Tarkanian
  8. Eddie Sutton
  9. Jim Phelan
  10. Rick Pitino

Reaction Score
Pitono and Izoo can coach circles around Boeheim. If you want a guy to coach any one team for one year that list by cTBaseketball is a pretty good start

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
JB is compiler. It this was the Baseball Hall of Fame, he'd be Yaz.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm not sure jc shoul be in the top 5, but hes no lower than 8th. pitino and izzo finish off the list 9 out of 10 times.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
  1. John Wooden
  2. Adolph Rupp
  3. Bobby Knight
  4. Jim Calhoun
  5. Coach K
  6. Dean Smith
  7. Jerry Tarkanian
  8. Eddie Sutton
  9. Jim Phelan
  10. Rick Pitino

Wooden
K
Knight
Smith
Calhoun
Rupp
Allen
Naismith
Pitino
Thompson

I can't put the old guys at the top for a variety of reasons, but they make a good divider for separating the great modern coaches from the very good ones.

Championships matter more than contributions to the game which matter more than total wins. I have Izzo and JB tied in the 11-15 range.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I guess I agree on the JB front and only succumbed to the numbers when I know in fact Izzo is a much better game coach and obviously a better coach of the kids off the court. Guess the recent run to 900 made me believe he at least deserved a sniff.......I'm wrong.

As far as JC in the Top 5 he more than deserves it......need to know out of the UCLA's, UNC's, KU's, Dukes, UK's and IU's how many of those coaches built a cellar dweller from a Yankee Conference school into a 3 time NC winner.....he almost deserves higher........

And I kind of agree with the post on the old guys being lower........even Wooden as wonderful a coach he was and maybe a better person, let's be honest, that was like winning for Geno now. All the good players went west in those days and there wasn't much competition for them.........K, Knight, JC, Sutton and even Pitino are actually my favorite coaches!!

Reaction Score
Hard to rank 1-5. I mean all 5 would have have Wooden championship numbers with Jabbar and Walton. I'm a homer but Calhoun championships including BE, were done with good not great players per se. I'm talking about Taliek, Anderson, Hilton, Lamb, Moore, etc..... Hell we all know there were few McDs and 1st teamers. The other coaches during championship runs had players still talked about in today's college basketball conversations.

By the way Calhoun had to recruit hard to get kids to Storrs, whereas the other coaches had kids yearning to go to their schools, particularly the McDs.

To me Calhoun took a little and made a very lot, which I don't think can be said about the others. So he's number one through five to me. In other words the others may be equals but not better.

We witnessed legendary greatness and I will yell and brag about it until I die or lose my memory.

Reaction Score
Ollie is ahead of Izzo 1-0, at least for a year. You don't lose to a novice like that carrying an overmatched team with no 5-star. Ollie with less than 5 games under his belt outsmarted, outprepared, and plainly outcoached a grizzly veteran named Izzo. Therefore, among other reasons, Izzo, for any true fan of basketball, can't be ahead of Calhoun. Never will be until he wins two more titles.

Reaction Score
Ollie is ahead of Izzo 1-0, at least for a year. You don't lose to a novice like that carrying an overmatched team with no 5-star. Ollie with less than 5 games under his belt outsmarted, outprepared, and plainly outcoached a grizzly veteran named Izzo. Therefore, among other reasons, Izzo, for any true fan of basketball, can't be ahead of Calhoun. Never will be until he wins two more titles.
Can we not count Calhoun as great since he is 0-1 against the San Diego coach?

Reaction Score
Good one Waquoit. Absent Carmelo and JB has as many rings as Yaz Teddy Ballgame and Jim Rice COMBINED!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Good one Waquoit. Absent Carmelo and JB has as many rings as Yaz Teddy Ballgame and Jim Rice COMBINED!!!!!!!!!!

You can't say "good one" to Waq and then hammer his Sox like that 1964............I love it though!! LOL;)

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You can't say "good one" to Waq and then hammer his Sox like that 1964............I love it though!! LOL;)
Of course you can. Hammering the Sox is good sport... Calhoun was also the best bench coach of all of them. No one comes close. Remember, in the 99 Championship game, he even put in Antric Klaiber for a couple of minutes, just to make a statement. Who else would even think about that much less DO it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom