Doug Marrone.... | The Boneyard

Doug Marrone....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The former Orange coach exercises his out clause with the Bills after going 9-7 this season. The article in today's Courant speculates that he's now the prime candidate to become the Jets next HC. Risky Business.
Should he take that position & successfully lead the Green & White out of the doldrums, it would solidify his reputation as a program resuscitator. But, that franchise needs a George Young type Director of Football Operations. Why take the Jets job unless you've been listening to Sinatra singing New York, New York & have been brainwashed?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because the Bills pay him $4 million and the Jets pay him as well and the Jets money doesn't offset the Bills money.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Chip Kelly inked a $32.5m 5 year deal 2 years ago. Marrone has to be looking at similar if not slightly higher numbers to sign with the Jets. Plus an extra $4 million from Buffalo. Cha-ching.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
If I'm the Jets I'm looking at Frank Reich QB coach for the Chargers word Is he helped Phillp River emensely, maybe puts the team in an offensive state of mind?

Reaction Score
That agent did a hell of a job, but Martine is looking like a guy that is always looking for his next job.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I actually feel bad for Buffalo fans and not having a coach or a quarterback moving into the future.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seems like a no-brainer. No matter what the owner's say, he's not their guy. He's getting out from a team with no QB and into a seller's market with a $4M watch.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Jets are going to hire Paul Pasqualoni for HC.

Because they're, you know... the Jets.

Actually I wouldn't mind Rex coming out here to Pittsburgh to replace the fossilized Dick LeBeau. That might even get me to watch Steelers games.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm sure Marrone is atop the Jets' wish list because he just beat the Patriots last weekend.

From a franchise perspective, the Jets and Bills jobs aren't much different from one another. Neither team has a QB. At least the Bills have a very good defense loaded with pass rushers. The Jets winning in Miami in week 17 probably was the worst thing for them as they've now moved too far out of the Mariotta/Winston draft slot. I guess they could trade up but that would likely cost them next year's 1 to go from #6 to #2 or #3. Maybe Orton will come out of retirement to play for Marrone in New York? He's not a Pro Bowl QB, but he's absolutely better than anything else on the Jets roster.

But yeah, kudos to Marrone's agent who wrote in this buyout clause. Dude is going to get real paid in 2015.

Reaction Score
The Bills owner handled this correctly. It's absurd to commit to a guy like Marrone when you don't have your organizational structure in place yet. Plus Marrone has several really bad character traits. Megalomania is one of them.

Reaction Score
If they had any kind of offense in Buffalo this year that would have been an 11 or 12 win team.

Reaction Score
Management didn't support Marrone. Add in the opt out clause, where he gets 4 mil with no strings attached, and it was a no brainer.

Jets would be wise to sign him

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What has Marrone done that warrants him being a front runner with the Jets? Johnson needs to do this right and hire the right GM and let them hire their own coach. Maybe that Is Marrone, but he isn't the kind of guy you rush the process for.

As I think about it....is going from Ryan to Marrone an upgrade? At this point, I don't think so. Oh...and Ryan has said he won't be a DC. I think Atlanta or SF will hire him as HC. If he doesn't get a head coaching gig he will go into broadcasting.

At this point, it is no fun being a Jets or UConn football fan...lol.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yeah the Jets clearly have not learned the importance of having your GM and HC on the same page. I agree that the best case is to hire your GM first and let them have input on the HC. Agree too that Marrone is not someone you rush to hire. The Jets are just being the Jets.

Reaction Score
What has Marrone done that warrants him being a front runner with the Jets? Johnson needs to do this right and hire the right GM and let them hire their own coach. Maybe that Is Marrone, but he isn't the kind of guy you rush the process for.

As I think about it....is going from Ryan to Marrone an upgrade? At this point, I don't think so. Oh...and Ryan has said he won't be a DC. I think Atlanta or SF will hire him as HC. If he doesn't get a head coaching gig he will go into broadcasting.

At this point, it is no fun being a Jets or UConn football fan...lol.

Basically, he fired the Bills, which gives him a certain distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom