Double teaming guys 30 feet from the basket | The Boneyard

Double teaming guys 30 feet from the basket

Reaction Score
It seems less and less effective as the season goes on. It used to result in an occasional steal by Whaley. But not lately.

On a related note. What's the deal with Whaley?

Reaction Score
It's a good option. Key word "option." The problem is that we have exactly 1 half-court defense. We play pressure D and blitz ball screens.

No zone. Not even different looks within man on the perimeter. If we had a 2-3 zone in our back pocket, and something like a packline or ICE coverage or something our team defense would look better. Teams are just figuring out how to beat our D and we're not adjusting.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
It’s called a hard hedge it’s meant to force the guard to move laterally not down hill coming off the screen. The weak side guy covers the roll man and then the ball has to swing laterally or the player moves as such. It doesn’t work in the nba if you have great shooters. In college it works because no one can actually shoot consistently. Our issue is that our bugs recover slowly or the help doesn’t come in time therefore the ball can still go downhill. Either way it’s very purposeful if done correctly. The goal of the play isn’t the steal it’s to “string the offensive player out.” But you know all of this since you watch a lot of basketball....

Reaction Score
It’s called a hard hedge it’s meant to force the guard to move laterally not down hill coming off the screen. The weak side guy covers the roll man and then the ball has to swing laterally or the player moves as such. It doesn’t work in the nba if you have great shooters. In college it works because no one can actually shoot consistently. Our issue is that our bugs recover slowly or the help doesn’t come in time therefore the ball can still go downhill. Either way it’s very purposeful if done correctly. The goal of the play isn’t the steal it’s to “string the offensive player out.” But you know all of this since you watch a lot of basketball....
What is with your condescending BS?? You have no idea who watches how much basketball. Nor are you the be all end all when it comes to breaking down our offense or our defense. Otherwise I dare say you’d be on the sidelines in place of Mr Hurley. So cut the crap.

Posters are giving their opinions on what seems to be working and what isn’t. Clearly, a lot isn’t. You don’t have to be James Naismith to understand that.

polycom

Reaction Score
What is with your condescending BS?? You have no idea who watches how much basketball. Nor are you the be all end all when it comes to breaking down our offense or our defense. Otherwise I dare say you’d be on the sidelines in place of Mr Hurley. So cut the crap.

Posters are giving their opinions on what seems to be working and what isn’t. Clearly, a lot isn’t. You don’t have to be James Naismith to understand that.

watch more basketball and get back to me.

Reaction Score
watch more basketball and get back to me.
Yes sir your almighty

Perhaps you could also send me a copy of your book: “I Know Everything About Basketball And You Know Nothing.” I’m sure that would help a lot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for more clearly explaining what I have trying to explain to others. It is about disrupting the offense and actually if done properly is very effective, just have Whaley guarding whoever is setting the screen.

Reaction Score
I personally think it’s quite effective with Whaley. Never really seen it lead to any open baskets and everyone gets back into position fine. Less effective with other bigs though; Josh Carlton seems like he’s picking up fouls all the time from this. Idk maybe I’ve been drinking too much during the games

Reaction Score
Thanks for more clearly explaining what I have trying to explain to others. It is about disrupting the offense and actually if done properly is very effective, just have Whaley guarding whoever is setting the screen.

This is something Danny and staff needs to be able to change. Hate to say it but recognize the fact that whoever he is guarding is no longer going up high to set screens since early he proved so worthy of messing up the the other teams offense. What can you do to change that staff?

I will say Sanogo is getting better on the hedge and will be a factor there for a while. Kids come a long way on both ends fun to watch. He had the "short arms" on some shots yesterday or would've eaten up Croswell and Jackson easily. Still played hard ad well.

polycom

Reaction Score
Yes sir your almighty

Perhaps you could also send me a copy of your book: “I Know Everything About Basketball And You Know Nothing.” I’m sure that would help a lot.
So your contention with me isn't the content of my post but the tone? Sir, your realize this is the internet. While, you are mad about my tone you accept that there are people here who think that Whaley and Polley are NBA level players. Yeah you are focused on the right things.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I personally think it’s quite effective with Whaley. Never really seen it lead to any open baskets and everyone gets back into position fine. Less effective with other bigs though; Josh Carlton seems like he’s picking up fouls all the time from this. Idk maybe I’ve been drinking too much during the games

With Josh Carlton coming off the bench and losing minutes to Sanogo, it's entirely possble (probable?) you are several drinks in by the time Josh picks up his first foul.

Do us a favor and track that for the next few games and get back to us with some hard data.

Reaction Score
So your contention with me isn't the content of my post but the tone? Sir, your realize this is the internet. While, you are mad about my tone you accept that there are people here who think that Whaley and Polley are NBA level players. Yeah you are focused on the right things.
Whatever bro. You're a pompous ass who thinks he knows more than anyone on this board. Either way, I'm done with you.

polycom

Reaction Score
Whatever bro. You're a pompous ass who thinks he knows more than anyone on this board. Either way, I'm done with you.
Lol, “whatever bro.” Don’t address my point just cry more. It’s fine to say you just like watching the name on the jersey go up and down the court, with a small understanding of what’s going on. There isn’t anything wrong with that but don’t rain in the parade of people who want more than that in their basketball discussions. And again, I don’t think I know more than anyone but, not enough people here talk about actual basketball.

Reaction Score
Some teams actually practice against the hard hedge,,,imagine that ....couple of solutions are is to pass to wing when defender steps up...kinda obvious... good directional ball fake holding ball until defender commits and back door cut should also work

Reaction Score
Did you also notice that it ruins our rotation and usually leaves a three point shooter alone on the wing?

The problem is that every opponent has seen it. So when we use it, they have already drilled on what to do. And the result is that every opponent now defeats it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom