Double Standard and Evina Westbrook | The Boneyard

Double Standard and Evina Westbrook

Reaction Score
Hello all. Let me preface by saying that I live in middle TN and have always been a Husky fan. Do not confuse me with someone who supports that school in Knoxville, which we will refer to as UT. Last fall, the UT football program received a transfer, A. Soloman a 5* DT from Michigan. As you well know, transfers have to sit out an academic year, unless they are graduates or have some type of special circumstance. Aubrey Soloman had neither, but was granted a waiver and was in the starting lineup, opening day. Not long after, we hear Evina Westbrook of the Lady Vols, who transferred to our beloved UCONN program, was denied the waiver to play immediately. She was denied, even though the coach who recruited her, had been fired midway through her career. The environment at UT during her final year was toxic at best, yet even her appeal was denied.

Fast forward to this spring and we hear an offensive lineman from Georgia, Cade Mays, is transferring to the Tenn. football program. A bit of history, Mays was a long time commitment to the Vols, but decommitted and snubbed the program for Georgia, after the coach who recruited him was fired. No special circumstance, Mays just decided he wanted to go back and play for UT. The Georgia coach had not been fired, the program was one of the top 5 in the country, both years Mays was there.

It is important to note, Mays would not only need a waiver from the NCAA, but also one from the SEC because he was transferring from one SEC school to another. Matter of fact, Mays was transferring within the SEC Eastern division. NCAA denies transfer waiver. Program goes nuts, whining in the media, high dollar lawyers hired and even the State's governor comes out with a "Free Cade Mays" campaign. Soon after, Mays wins his appeal. Still have the hurdle of the SEC, which rules clearly state an athlete transferring within the SEC must sit out a year. A few weeks go by and SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is under constant pressure from anyone with anything to do with UT. He comes out and says, "it is a rule all the schools voted on; if they want to change the rule, then they can vote on it." Then, out of nowhere, the waiver to play is granted and Mays can play tomorrow. Realize, there is zero precedent for this.

Let me summarize: In consecutive years the UT football program gets 5* players with no reason for a waiver, be allowed to play immediately. One of their student athletes, Ms Westbrook, transfers out and is forced to sit a year. Forced to sit when she was the only one of the three to have a legitimate reason to be granted a waiver. I apologize for the length of this post. I am 53 and this is the most unfair decision I have witnessed in all my years watching sports. I just hope Evina hires a lawyer and files suit against the NCAA and even the SEC. At least, I would hope there is an investigation and this be brought to light. Thank you for your time.

Reaction Score
I don't think the NCAA's lack of a transfer waiver was so much against UConn, as it was against Geno. It took Geno a long time to win over 1000 games and 11 National Championships. Over 30 years many people have come to love him and a fair amount don't. Some people in a position to make such a decision did so with a dislike of Geno. Unfortunately, Evina was the loser in her case. I will take Geno and his program over any other any day of the week. Its difficult to stay on top of the mountain.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hello all. Let me preface by saying that I live in middle TN and have always been a Husky fan. Do not confuse me with someone who supports that school in Knoxville, which we will refer to as UT. Last fall, the UT football program received a transfer, A. Soloman a 5* DT from Michigan. As you well know, transfers have to sit out an academic year, unless they are graduates or have some type of special circumstance. Aubrey Soloman had neither, but was granted a waiver and was in the starting lineup, opening day. Not long after, we hear Evina Westbrook of the Lady Vols, who transferred to our beloved UCONN program, was denied the waiver to play immediately. She was denied, even though the coach who recruited her, had been fired midway through her career. The environment at UT during her final year was toxic at best, yet even her appeal was denied.
Fast forward to this spring and we hear an offensive lineman from Georgia, Cade Mays, is transferring to the Tenn. football program. A bit of history, Mays was a long time commitment to the Vols, but decommitted and snubbed the program for Georgia, after the coach who recruited him was fired. No special circumstance, Mays just decided he wanted to go back and play for UT. The Georgia coach had not been fired, the program was one of the top 5 in the country, both years Mays was there. It is important to note, Mays would not only need a waiver from the NCAA, but also one from the SEC because he was transferring from one SEC school to another. Matter of fact, Mays was transferring within the SEC Eastern division. NCAA denies transfer waiver. Program goes nuts, whining in the media, high dollar lawyers hired and even the State's governor comes out with a "Free Cade Mays" campaign. Soon after, Mays wins his appeal. Still have the hurdle of the SEC, which rules clearly state an athlete transferring within the SEC must sit out a year. A few weeks go by and SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is under constant pressure from anyone with anything to do with UT. He comes out and says, "it is a rule all the schools voted on; if they want to change the rule, then they can vote on it." Then, out of nowhere, the waiver to play is granted and Mays can play tomorrow. Realize, there is zero precedent for this.
Let me summarize: In consecutive years the UT football program gets 5* players with no reason for a waiver, be allowed to play immediately. One of their student athletes, Ms Westbrook, transfers out and is forced to sit a year. Forced to sit when she was the only one of the three to have a legitimate reason to be granted a waiver. I apologize for the length of this post. I am 53 and this is the most unfair decision I have witnessed in all my years watching sports. I just hope Evina hires a lawyer and files suit against the NCAA and even the SEC. At least, I would hope there is an investigation and this be brought to light. Thank you for your time.

First of all, welcome to the Boneyard. Always happy to have another UConn fan join us. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations. We all knew that Evina got a raw deal from the NCAA.

But, in hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise. That time off allowed her to have two knee surgeries to correct injuries she suffered and played through at Tennessee.

We believe she is completely healthy now, and is poised to show WCBB why she was rated as one of the best players in her class. We look forward to more of your comments in the future. Again, welcome!! :)

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Remember "Uconn is bad for women's basketball" is a lifestyle for the NCAA. Actually the men's team's probation is another example of NCAA duplicity.

Reaction Score

Fast forward to this spring and we hear an offensive lineman from Georgia, Cade Mays, is transferring to the Tenn. football program. A bit of history, Mays was a long time commitment to the Vols, but decommitted and snubbed the program for Georgia, after the coach who recruited him was fired. No special circumstance, Mays just decided he wanted to go back and play for UT. The Georgia coach had not been fired, the program was one of the top 5 in the country, both years Mays was there.

It is important to note, Mays would not only need a waiver from the NCAA, but also one from the SEC because he was transferring from one SEC school to another. Matter of fact, Mays was transferring within the SEC Eastern division. NCAA denies transfer waiver. Program goes nuts, whining in the media, high dollar lawyers hired and even the State's governor comes out with a "Free Cade Mays" campaign. Soon after, Mays wins his appeal. Still have the hurdle of the SEC, which rules clearly state an athlete transferring within the SEC must sit out a year. A few weeks go by and SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is under constant pressure from anyone with anything to do with UT. He comes out and says, "it is a rule all the schools voted on; if they want to change the rule, then they can vote on it." Then, out of nowhere, the waiver to play is granted and Mays can play tomorrow. Realize, there is zero precedent for this.

There is definitely a double standard when it comes to Uconn. I thought it was disgusting what they did to Evina. And I have a lot of suspicions that Tennessee was probably behind it. Although I can't prove it of course.

I really hopes she stays both years.. She is an excellent player and I have watched her many times while she was at Tennesee. My impression is that she was the best, most athletic player on a very poorly coached team. I can't wait to see her this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom