Doty's Knee Brace | The Boneyard

Doty's Knee Brace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
I know that the medical staff at UConn is absolutely top notch, but after the amount of research I did on ACL injuries, I wish they didn't have her in a brace. Braces have been shown to increase the chance of re-injuring the knee because of over compensation of other muscles in the area, therefore reducing the strength of the ligament you are working to protect. Just like wearing a back brace to lift heavy isn't a good idea for the same reason. Just my 2 cents, as I'm just a little college student =)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I would assume that all factors have been carefully considered and that Rosemary knows what she's doing here. If you wrote her directly at rosemary.ragle@UConn.edu, she might even take a moment to explain why they think the brace is the best course of action, at least on a general level. I don't know that she'd be at liberty or comfortable with speaking about about Caroline's specific situation.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Sometimes the brace is to make the player feel more comfortable. I tore my ACL twice and I felt much more comfortable wearing the brace (I didn't wear it after the first one and I re-tore it, not saying that was the reason). It's like a placebo effect in a lot of cases.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Also, Caroline's brace is a very unique and new design.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
With my first ACL, the doc said wear it skiing and if you think you need it for other stuff. For the second (other knee), he said, you're older, and I worry more about others colliding with you (women's rec soccer), so wear it for a year and then see how you feel. Ultimately, the goal for both knees was to not need a brace post-surgery, but sometimes there are just good reasons for keeping it on. Knock on wood, both are now on a shelf in a closet, never to be needed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom