Dorka says she's returning | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dorka says she's returning

Reaction Score
Question marks is a relative term here. Backup 2/3 may not be a major concern, but I think it is fair to say for a loaded team it may be more of a concern than any other part of the roster. This year we had 6 guards, which at times was not enough when we were down to 3. Next year with no additions we have 4. I count Aubrey as mostly a PF who could certainly defend the 3, but is not a natural player there. Nika could back up Azzi but is clearly not a SG.

So if everyone was healthy, assuming Paige, Azzi, and Caroline start, you could have a 4 guard rotation with Nika backing up all three. Aubrey perhaps could be used to backup Caroline, but with mostly Nika and some Aubrey providing the backup guard minutes you are getting great defense, good rebounding, and in Nika a passer. But the kind of perimeter scoring you expect from 2's and 3's is missing, and you are vulnerable to any injury of a guard.

Someone like Abby Myers could be a 2/3 backup or even a threat to start, but provide the perimeter traits Nika and Aubrey lack along with leaving us in a pretty good position if one guard goes down. With someone like that, you have far more situational versatility, with defenders, a shooter and a passer to draw on, and even with a good guard addition, that would put us at 5, one less than last year, so I think it should be the most significant priority and a reason to explore the portal.
So, not a question mark but ideally, to have insurance. At the moment, we are making judgments based on our perception of what each player can do, including the Ayanna and Isuneh as well as continuing to limit what Aubrey is able to do, without having a clue on what else they can do if given the chance. Given that these perceptions do not sufficiently take into account growth or unexplored capabilities (who among us knew Caroline would be great in the post and at driving to score, plus coolness in crunch time?), we may be presuming too much re: what we think we know. Be that as it may, I think:

Dorka will mainly be manning the high post on offense with Aaliyah in the low post. Aaliyah will continue to be encouraged to develop her outside shot. Amari is a high post candidate and, if she makes a leap, Piath is basically low post. Defensive assignments are situational, depending on opponents but it matters less in read-and-react switching defenses.

Paige, Azzi, Caroline and Nika are what they are: can play two positions between the two guard spots and the wing. Collectively, they will take most of the minutes there.

Since Aubrey is a prime disruptor on defense, Coach will look for ways to deploy her....hence wing (despite unreliable outside shot in the past) is more a possibility now, especially in special alignments for pressure defense - he can insert her from 2-4 as the situation demands. Given the depth in scoring potential, I think Coach will give Aubrey the chance to grow her offense in multiple settings.

The two newcomers? Isuneh appears equipped for manning both low and high post, with apparent range to the 3-pt line - we shall see.

Ayanna intrigues me because I think she is capable of playing 3 positions: wing and the two posts. I think she is going to be a wildcard sort of player with her athleticism and versatility.....I just don't know exactly when it will happen but I suspect Coach will explore the possibilities.

My original comment stems from the notion that if you have any three of Paige, Azzi, Caroline and Dorka on the floor at any time, you have enough firepower from distance to open up the floor for each other and whoever the other two is with them. All four of them means Coach wants to maximize the offense against a worthy opponent.

That being the case, Coach can elect to play Aubrey on the wing and begin to experiment with Ayanna there as well. That makes 5 players who can man with wing depending on whether Coach wants to emphasize offense or defense during the flow of the game. He would have four guards available in any combination. And the two post positions will have enough competent players to man it. The variations this affords him will also present a different sort of challenge for the opposition.

To me, the little uncertainties in the 2/3 space you are referring to is an opportunity for returning players and a newcomer next year to broaden what they can do for growth and increase their interchangeability on the floor.....(an insurance player would shut this door)

For now, the quest for the holy grail NC #12 is the only focus.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Almost. Ivy league POY is correct. Abby is graduating from Princeton with remaining NCAA eligibility. Both the Ivy League and the Paitriot league have a practice of now allowing graduate transfers. Knowing this Abby put her name in the transfer portal at the beginning of this season. This was a clear signal that she wants to continue playing basketball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do agree with you that a young transfer may have a problem adjusting to the system quickly but a grad transfer with experience at a big school should be able to adjust more quickly. It took Dorka a while to get adjusted and it may take the grad transfer a little while but it’s still Should be an upgrade from inexperienced sophomores and freshmen. This transfer need only be next year’s hole filler. Would we turn down another Dorka next year?
Abby Meyers is also being coach at Princeton by Carla Berube. Abby adjustment at UCONN will be minimal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom