Dorka out with broken thumb | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dorka out with broken thumb

Reaction Score
How do you know all this about Amari when she has hardly played? I don't think we have seen her play enough to make that determination. Unless you go to all the practices and watch her .
Exactly!! This is the most likely reason why she DOESN'T play. Simplest explanation is usually the right one.

Reaction Score
Broke her thumb on Monday and not a word till now???

UConn has a problem with being forthcoming about injuries. Remember how they continued to characterize the injury to Decharmes as a "head injury"? It was a concussion, but they didn't want to admit it. Lots of failing to admit regarding injuries.

Reaction Score
I’d start Aubrey but Ayanna would get a lot of PT, as well as Caroline. They could really spread the floor which should open up some Azzi/Lou/Caroline action.
I wouldn't count on a lot of pt for Caroline .... I think they are working her back slowly

Reaction Score
I rewatched the pregame pressers after reading of Dorka's injury, surely Geno, Nika and Caroline were aware of her not being available when those were taped, although they didn't hint of having to deal with her loss. Geno still stressed the need to tighten up the interior defense following the Texas game. NC State will surely try to exploit their height advantage down low and really go after Aaliyah and secondly our other bigs to put them in foul trouble.

I think if we can control the game, Geno will see a four guard one big lineup as our best potential approach to get separation and put NC State on their heels. With Caroline and Aubrey both being strong contributors and both capable of defending inside in a faster paced (rushed for NC State) game we could make that work. But we will need to be able to get our game established with a quick start and early lead in order to dictate the pace of the game.

I think both Amari and Ayanna will be needed at the onset to prevent NC State from conversely exploiting their advantage inside. If we can't get them on their heels it is going to be a long haul and we will need to use all the fouls we have available by our bigs in a grind it out game. Our guards are going to have to force theirs to the outside in that scenario as well so they aren't getting into the lane and drawing valuable fouls on our bigs. Aaliyah, Amari and Ayanna are going to have to all play strong defense without giving up bad fouls in the face of their bigs and guards focused on drawing them.

Reaction Score
The Marquette win over Texas [68-61] might put a bit of tarnish over our win against
the Longhorns...but it should pump up the overall strength of the Big East...which is a good thing...a very good thing.
Marquette is now 4-0. They should get our full attention when we play them...twice.
I agree with your post but would add the only people who would diminish UConn’s win because of Marquette’s are people who don’t watch the games objectively but rather base their “analysis” on preconceived notions. Finally given the chance to have multiple teams in the tournament, the BE showed that the view of the conference nationally was just plain wrong. Marquette’s win yesterday was further proof.

Reaction Score
I speculate that Aubrey gets a start today.
First subs in will be Lou and Ayanna. Then Caroline in for Lou.
I really wish I could say Amari would be first big sub, but I need to see SOMETHING to warrant that.
I do not understand how someone with her size and pedigree cannot be a devastating defender and at least stay out of the way on the offensive end.
Today is her opportunity to give Coach a reason to play her.

Reaction Score
Agree on Caroline playing limited minutes. While NC is an important game, its early in the season and Geno unlikely to risk long term success.
Ha! I agree with your comment about Caroline, HopJim, but folks such as Triad and me know your reference to NC instead of NC State would go over about as well in ACC country as referring to UConn as UMass or URI

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
UConn has a problem with being forthcoming about injuries. Remember how they continued to characterize the injury to Decharmes as a "head injury"? It was a concussion, but they didn't want to admit it. Lots of failing to admit regarding injuries.
UConn has a problem? Yes, the team is dealing with multiple injuries.

Some fans have a problem. They believe, for reasons that defy logic and reason, that they have a legal and moral right to know
everything the coaches know just as soon as the coaches know it. They think that they should be part of the medical team and involved in family discussions about how to proceed.

Now, let's suppose these fans got their wishes, unlimited and immediate access to every detail of a player's medical issues.

Just how would this help the team?

Reaction Score
UConn has a problem? Yes, the team is dealing with multiple injuries.

Some fans have a problem. They believe, for reasons that defy logic and reason, that they have a legal and moral right to know
everything the coaches know just as soon as the coaches know it. They think that they should be part of the medical team and involved in family discussions about how to proceed.

Now, let's suppose these fans got their wishes, unlimited and immediate access to every detail of a player's medical issues.

Just how would this help the team?
And more importantly, what business is it of any fan? A player is either playing or not, this sense of entitlement that injuries are anyone’s business but the team’s and more importantly, the family, as you say very nicely, defies “logic and reason”, not to mention just common decency and respect for other people’s privacy.

Reaction Score
And more importantly, what business is it of any fan? A player is either playing or not, this sense of entitlement that injuries are anyone’s business but the team’s and more importantly, the family, as you say very nicely, defies “logic and reason”, not to mention just common decency and respect for other people’s privacy.
This issue is older than Geno himself ! Nothing new at this point. This is the time to keep calm, carry on. UConn do it.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should just say nothing? We have no right to know any of this stuff.

Reaction Score
@Zarathustra Could you elaborate?
FROM Zarathustra a (type of) elaboration: I watched the FIBA U 18 Women's
World Championship tournament ( in Part ) this summer. While watching the
Egypt vs Madagascar semi final and the Egypt vs Mali final I found that I was
not impressed by the caliber of the overall play. Jana was almost the MVP,
but her team, Egypt, lost convining to Mali in the final, so the Mali won the MVP.
My suggestion, in my previous post, was to watch those two games and judge for yourself ( google
the FIBA web page for U 18 WOMEN's Africia etc ). The ball handling, passing,
three point shooting ( some spurts of nice 3 point shooting, but not well defended), the
ability / inability of teams to break down the press, and the "style" of play ( a visual thing,
but this was more of a subjective issue for me ). Jana hit some nice threes , she was
effective in the paint, but then again, she got a lot of points in the second half of
the Madagascar game when the opponents were in EXTREME foul trouble. So I considered
Egypt's extra half points as less an indication of their "strength" but merely an
indication that Madagascar was forced to play the " end of the bench"!!
The semi final game was competitive in the first half. So beyond that elaboration,
I VERY glad to have JANA El Alfy! I just don't think she will be an immediate impact
player. Sincerely, Z GO UCONN beat NC State, Beat Duke, Beat IOWA!!
Be strong DORKA!!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Once standing: move your feet; play some defense; forget taking mid range jumpers.
And layoff of the no look bounce passes from the top of the key to the low post. I believe that she needs to be in the low post at once in a while.

Reaction Score
I agree with your post but would add the only people who would diminish UConn’s win because of Marquette’s are people who don’t watch the games objectively but rather base their “analysis” on preconceived notions. Finally given the chance to have multiple teams in the tournament, the BE showed that the view of the conference nationally was just plain wrong. Marquette’s win yesterday was further proof.
We'll know A LOT more after Marquette battles against Gongaza ( Gonzaga: the victors over
Louisville). Louisville was out rebounded 50 to 31 by Gonzaga and Gonzaga had a advantage of
24 to 3 on second chance points. Hailey Van Lith was five for 20 from the field
Gonzaga out scored Louisville 18 to 6 in the overtime, winning " going away" by 12 points.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i hope the guards/wings have focused on boxing out this week in practice. nika will come to the rescue!:D

Reaction Score
I hope Amari surprises everyone. We need her to step up and give some minutes. She can score in the paint and outside better than others. Geno wants rebounds blocks and toughness. Lets put her out there and get her ready to help us. She is the key to our season.
Amari is going to be fine. She needs the coaching staff to just trust her and let her play and stop over analyzing everything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom