Dorka & Lou WNBA Draft Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dorka & Lou WNBA Draft Thread

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What is the problem with Dallas exactly, that some people didn't want Lopez-Senechal to go there? If they can grab Juhasz with their remaining pick, they're a contender right away.
Dallas is the one team I didn't want our girls going to. First, with all the players that they drafted, a few won't be able to make the team. Second, all they do is trade their players alot more than the other teams, not being a very stable franchise. Third, Arika is there. Enough said. Dorka in Minnesota is a great place for her, playing alongside Collier. Reeves loves UConn players so she will get a legitimate look to make the team. Very proud of Lou being picked before Horstan, Jones, and Soares. Just one year has totally changed the direction of her life, and I am proud that Geno and UConn have done that for her. Love them both and will be looking forward to seeing them at Mohegan Sun.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Interesting draft. They pick 4 big guard/small forward players, all known for their shooting. And they already have Arike, also known to take a lot of shots. Don’t understand their strategy… and never have.
Not sure Arike was thrilled about the draft picks though ...

sun

Reaction Score
That's what Maddy said when she was asked about playing with Arike, that she'll just rebound.

Reaction Score
I reviewed the draft board and couldn't help but notice the Wings drafted the exact same type of player in multiple spots. Some of these won't make the team.

Reviewiing the draft board I'd say maybe 18 are on opening day rosters. The ESPN mock drafts had Beal going in round 1, which I knew wouldn't happen because she's did not show offensive capabilities at SC. She could make the roster of course with her overall talent but I felt she was definitely one who could have benefited from another year at SC.

I'd say realiistically there may be one or two true difference makers beyond Boston. That doesn't mean others won't have good careers and stick around but the upcoming class is looking to be very strong and that will create even more pressure to perform this year to get a foot in the league.

Reaction Score
Arike is more of a “me first” than “team first” player, they play in a crappy College center, ran SDS away with their front office and they just draft so many players every year, so it’ll be hard to make the final roster.
As a past Dallas resident, Wings get little local support, in part because there is so much competition for the sports dollar. If you read the Dallas Morning News, on a good day, 1% of the reporting focuses on women's professional basketball. 0% from the sports talk shows.

Reaction Score
Interesting draft. They pick 4 big guard/small forward players, all known for their shooting. And they already have Arike, also known to take a lot of shots. Don’t understand their strategy… and never have.
If Dallas had proven they were creative in structuring trades, I could understand stockpiling talent. Unfortunately, similar to most parts of their organization, this is not a strength. That being said, with the other holes on their team, you have to predict they will not keep all these shooters.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I reviewed the draft board and couldn't help but notice the Wings drafted the exact same type of player in multiple spots. Some of these won't make the team.

Reviewiing the draft board I'd say maybe 18 are on opening day rosters. The ESPN mock drafts had Beal going in round 1, which I knew wouldn't happen because she's did not show offensive capabilities at SC. She could make the roster of course with her overall talent but I felt she was definitely one who could have benefited from another year at SC.

I'd say realiistically there may be one or two true difference makers beyond Boston. That doesn't mean others won't have good careers and stick around but the upcoming class is looking to be very strong and that will create even more pressure to perform this year to get a foot in the league.
Dallas GM Greg Bibb is notorious for stockpiling at positions: he did the same thing at the forward position a few years back and now he's got a backlog at the shooting guard/wing position. There are three excellent players in Lou Lopez Senechal, Abby Meyers and Ashley Joens (I don't know enough about Paige Robinson to comment), but they're fighting for spots to back up Arike O and Diamond DeShields. Maddy Siegrest may be in a better position, given she's a forward.

As noted by many posters, Dorka is, initially, in a better spot. The Lynx need a post and with Natalie Achonwa expecting a child and Maia Hirsch not coming over to next year, the personnel funnel is a bit less crowded.

In any case, good luck to both of them at the next level.

Reaction Score
The WNBA draft is pointless. There are too few teams in the WNBA. Most of these women won't even make the team that drafts them. (But some will bounce around until they find a fit).

I like the way they do it in Europe.

They should expand the WNBA to 16 teams. Then eliminate the draft altogether and just let teams go out and sign up who the can.

Reaction Score
Remember the Warriors and RUN TMC? That's the small ball vibe I'm getting.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize Dallas signed Natasha Howard, Diamond DeShields, and Crystal Dangerfield in the off season. Plus they have Satou Sabally and McCowan, and of course Arike. Hmm, they definitely grabbed a bunch of shooters and they will see which ones stick. They actually could be a pretty good team I feel like. Their post defense has always been lacking IMO

Reaction Score
Bottom Line, I am happy that Lou and Dorka were drafted. Lou to Dallas and Dorka....Minnesota!! Looking forward to attending a game and seeing Dorka wearing a Lynx uniform. Welcome to Minnesota, Dorka!!

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Dallas is looking to replace & upgrade at least a couple of their guards.

Reaction Score
The WNBA draft is pointless. There are too few teams in the WNBA. Most of these women won't even make the team that drafts them. (But some will bounce around until they find a fit).

I like the way they do it in Europe.

They should expand the WNBA to 16 teams. Then eliminate the draft altogether and just let teams go out and sign up who the can.
I think the WNBA could easily support two more franchises if the league could find ownership willing to make the investment.

If the league remains at 12 teams there should really just be two rounds of the draft.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dallas did trade away Mabrey and Gray signed with Atlanta so two starters are gone, but the trade brought in Diamond who just happens to be 6'1" as well. And I get the 'BPA' mentality of drafting, but that makes more sense in team games with larger rosters. With 5 fairly clearly defined skill set players on a basketball court, taking four identical size/skill players in a single draft is just weird.

And it isn't like there were not other good options with different size/skills - I think both Dorka and Amihere were undervalued in the draft and have a chance to outperform their draft spot.

Reaction Score
Dallas did trade away Mabrey and Gray signed with Atlanta so two starters are gone, but the trade brought in Diamond who just happens to be 6'1" as well. And I get the 'BPA' mentality of drafting, but that makes more sense in team games with larger rosters. With 5 fairly clearly defined skill set players on a basketball court, taking four identical size/skill players in a single draft is just weird.

And it isn't like there were not other good options with different size/skills - I think both Dorka and Amihere were undervalued in the draft and have a chance to outperform their draft spot.
Diamond DeShields is another low percentage shooter. Also Diamond recently had a major injury that may limit her availability and minutes. I think LLS fits the Allisha Gray/ Mabry style more so than Siegrist/Meyers. Don't know much about Joens.

Reaction Score
It will.be a challenge for both Lou and Dorka to make their teams. Worse case, they are both good enough to land on another team. In Lou's case, that might be the best thing for her in the long run.

Reaction Score
What is the problem with Dallas exactly, that some people didn't want Lopez-Senechal to go there? If they can grab Juhasz with their remaining pick, they're a contender right away.
It’s a UCONN vs ND sort of thing And the suggested idea that the ND player in question oftentimes plays with the focus of gaining ALL the spotlight, as opposed to sharing it with her teammates!!

Reaction Score
Thinking back to a year ago, I really felt for Dorka with a broken wrist facing her plan to graduate and a decision. Stay or go? Go where, maybe a club team in Europe? She stayed and now she's got a shot at the W. Good decision!

Also, a little less than a year ago, the brutal winnowing of a high percentage of draft picks following training camp. Work hard gals, the draft is just the very first step.

Reaction Score
For posterity…..two fantastic ladies that will remain in UCONN lore
IMG_9422.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It will.be a challenge for both Lou and Dorka to make their teams. Worse case, they are both good enough to land on another team. In Lou's case, that might be the best thing for her in the long run.
It think they both could make the Sun this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Cheryl Reeve talks the draftees and makes it very plain that they have to earn their way in at the camp. Dorka starts around 3:30. It's not long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom