Doris Burke: "the best damn basketball broadcaster" | The Boneyard

Doris Burke: "the best damn basketball broadcaster"

Reaction Score
http://deadspin.com/how-doris-burke-became-the-best-damn-basketball-broadca-1797546866

money quote:

"Sure, others might strive to be like Burke. They should. Some might even achieve the same level of success. But there will only ever be one Doris Burke—the one who Drake wears specially made shirts for, the one who goes toe-to-toe with Pop every Spurs game she covers, the one who made a blue blazer a signature fashion statement, and the one who knew exactly when to lay out and let the play-by-play man have the moment when Morgan William hit a last-second shot to knock the mighty UConn Huskies out of the 2017 Women’s NCAA Tournament."

We were lucky to have had her.

Reaction Score
This is one really strong story about a woman who is simply important in WCBB. I always liked Burke -- OI know some BYers don't, but I thought she called the games well and when she needed to, could get on her soap box and speak truth to power, which she did on more than one occasion. IMHO, she did a really good job to telling people not only what happened, but what it meant. In WCBB, which is an evolving sport, I am not sure there was anyone better at putting the action we were watching into a larger perspective. I, for one, will miss her.

Reaction Score
Wow, when I saw the headline, I checked my calendar: is it April 1 again so soon?

I like Doris; I think she has a lot of heart, a lot of soul. But she is not a great announcer. She is methodical, repetitive, monotonous. In short, she is often simply boring and not infrequently annoying, IMO.

Reaction Score
http://deadspin.com/how-doris-burke-became-the-best-damn-basketball-broadca-1797546866

money quote:

"Sure, others might strive to be like Burke. They should. Some might even achieve the same level of success. But there will only ever be one Doris Burke—the one who Drake wears specially made shirts for, the one who goes toe-to-toe with Pop every Spurs game she covers, the one who made a blue blazer a signature fashion statement, and the one who knew exactly when to lay out and let the play-by-play man have the moment when Morgan William hit a last-second shot to knock the mighty UConn Huskies out of the 2017 Women’s NCAA Tournament."

We were lucky to have had her.
Just like I've always said. Good recognition for her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've said this before. Doris Burke knows basketball and she is a great supporter of WBB in general and the UConn Huskies in particular, but she talks all over the game to the point where whomever is doing the play by play can't get a word in edge wise.

Give me Kara Lawson any day of the week. She is extremely knowledgeable, does her homework and makes brief inciteful comments in the flow of the game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've said this before. Doris Burke knows basketball and she is a great supporter of WBB in general and the UConn Huskies in particular, but she talks all over the game to the point where whomever is doing the play by play can't get a word in edge wise.

Give me Kara Lawson any day of the week. She is extremely knowledgeable, does her homework and makes brief inciteful comments in the flow of the game.
Frankly the same things you've said about Kara, whom I love, was said about Doris her first few years as an announcer. Let's see how we feel in a few years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Frankly the same things you've said about Kara, whom I love, was said about Doris her first few years as an announcer. Let's see how we feel in a few years.
So you're saying that once upon a time, Doris made "brief and inciteful comments" vs "long-winded and off point?" I guess my memory has failed me yet again. :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So you're saying that once upon a time, Doris made "brief and inciteful comments" vs "long-winded and off point?" I guess my memory has failed me yet again. :rolleyes:
Yes, she did. She was concise and pertinent. As the years went on Doris began to see every WBB audience as new and uniformed, frequently they were, and her explanations became jam packed with information we the informed found redundant. Or worse, long winded digressions. Just listen to her doing NBA stuff and you hear how she was at the beginning. This is the real Doris Burke. What's old is new again. We now see Kara as the new darling, but she too has her favorite phrases, reasons and topics. I've a feeling her familiarity will also bring some contempt.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Doris used to be quite enjoyable...but then the Dickie V mode seemed to emerge with time...my new evaluation is to listen to audio, without watching video...gives me a better sense of the broadcast team...won't make assessment of the appropriateness related to comments of the action...Hopefully Sue Bird decides to become a full time color analyst...

Reaction Score
I always liked Doris Burke! She is a passionate backer of WBB, Geno & UCONN, among other aspects of BB.
She was honest when she said how great Geno is as a coach and person, saying other programs shouldn't attack him for his success, go to him for advice and some tidbits to make your program better and how she would have loved to have played for Geno and she wishes Geno could coach her BB playing daughter! It's not often in MBB or WBB, both College and NBA, and WNBA where a commentator would go out on a limb to publicly back a coach/program!
I love anyone that is so passionate about what they do, Doris Burke, Dick Vitale, Holly Rowe, Jim Valvano, Craig Sager, Jay Bilas, among some others, that put themselves "out there" to preach to the choir! Holly Rowe and Craig Sager ARE & WERE, two national treasures that come along not often enough!
There are too many cookie cutter, announcers/commentators in sports today!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Doris has more basketball knowledge than many announcers, but she was INCREDIBLY biased and at times was painful to listen to if you weren't a UCONN fan. Personally I will not miss her announcing next year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I like nuts-and-bolts commentary. Tell me, for example, why the previously play just succeeded or failed. People like Lawson and Antonelli do that. Burke, not so much.

She's good when she's in just the facts mode and I like her NBA work. When she's ignoring the action of the game in front of her to talk about something else, I become very irritated.

I find this is generally a problem with many/most of ESPN's featured games. The announcers call the game like Big Monday is the only WCBB exposure you get. They ignore the game to discuss the big picture. The commentary on random SEC Network, ESPNU, or regional sports network games is usually better.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Loved Doris. Anyone who thinks she was biased is just jealous. UCONN has had a dynasty for years with a pair of 90+ win streaks since 2008. They have won 6 of the last 9 NC's for goodness sake. They have lost a grand total of 13 games over that time frame, with 9 of them coming in the 2 year period from 2011-2013. Almost no one beats them. So yeah, when she covers a UCONN game she's going to not only talk about how great they are, but WHY they are so great. If that rubs people the wrong way, then maybe it's time for them to raise their level to UCONN's. But it's way harder done than said...

Reaction Score
Do yourself a favor and reconsider Kara Lawson. I don't know anyone else I trust to deliver honest accurate basketball analysis. And she is easy to look at.

Reaction Score
Agree, I would not mind one bit if i never heard her voice again. It is still ringing in my ear from the last game i heard her do.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, when I saw the headline, I checked my calendar: is it April 1 again so soon?

I like Doris; I think she has a lot of heart, a lot of soul. But she is not a great announcer. She is methodical, repetitive, monotonous. In short, she is often simply boring and not infrequently annoying, IMO.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! Bags, I am reminded of the Howard Cosell poll from the 70's where 40% (2/5) of sports watchers claimed Howard as their favorite announcer and 60% (3/5) claimed him as their least favorite, however 100% had an opinion on Howard. Doris Burke evokes similar feelings here. For my part, I really like her and do think she offers insight. But yes, she can get repetitive however no more than any other of the talking heads. :confused:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Doris has more basketball knowledge than many announcers, but she was INCREDIBLY biased and at times was painful to listen to if you weren't a UCONN fan. Personally I will not miss her announcing next year.

I had been hoping that her larynx would fall to her stomach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom