Doris Burke sighting | The Boneyard

Doris Burke sighting

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She is a sports analyst for NBA. Sure she is on a few of the NBA playoff games.
She's one of my favorites. Some folks don't like her. She can call a game I’m watching anytime. I like her interview skills also. She asks good relevant questions and DOES NOT head bob as the player is responding to her questions.

Before I changed my major, my first choice of majors was journalism. One of the things we had to do was face to face interviews while holding a microphone. You failed the exercise if you head bobbed at all. When I see media interviewing someone, it's something I always notice. Because we all wanted/needed to pass, it was something we learned not to do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's one of my favorites. Some folks don't like her. She can call a game I’m watching anytime. I like her interview skills also. She asks good relevant questions and DOES NOT head bob as the player is responding to her questions.

Before I changed my major, my first choice of majors was journalism. One of the things we had to do was face to face interviews while holding a microphone. You failed the exercise if you head bobbed at all. When I see media interviewing someone, it's something I always notice. Because we all wanted/needed to pass, it was something we learned not to do.
Not sure what you mean by “head bobbing”? Do you mean agreeing obsequiously with what they are saying? Holding the mike in the wrong way?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Just curious-what's the logic behind not bobbing/nodding your head as they speak?

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by “head bobbing”? Do you mean agreeing obsequiously with what they are saying? Holding the mike in the wrong way?
Watch maria Marino. Her head, shouders,....You will see what he meant.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Any extraneous head movement while doing interviews is distracting and makes the interviewer look unstable. Extra head movement while talking or waiting during an answer (aside from nodding your head) can be problematic. I've seen some young announcers twitch their heads as if they have serious medical issues. Another sign I look for is how steady they hold the microphone. Like @Carnac, and unlike many on The BY, I was always a big fan of hers. Listening to the complaints I see after every game it seems her kind of professionalism was taken for granted.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. A rose by any other name..........

Unfortunately most of the up and coming “youngsters” in the media continuously “nod” or head bob in agreement with the person they’re talking to. Even some old established/seasoned veterans do it.

Vin Scully the Hall of Fame Los Angeles Dodgers broadcaster for 68 years did not bob. Vinnie was a pro’s pro. Eveyone would talk to Vinnie. Even Eddie Murry who notoriously evaded the media and refused to be interviewed by them would talk to Vinnie.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Head bobbing is a means of subliminally influencing someone to keep talking. Good in a conference room deposition but not a good look in front of a jury.

Reaction Score
I always thought that what her critics didn't like about her was that she talked about Geno and UConn the way they talked about Summitt/Tenn. Could be my imagination.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They seem to put Doris on the late playoff games. Pheonix / NO

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Head bobbing is a means of subliminally influencing someone to keep talking. Good in a conference room deposition but not a good look in front of a jury.
You have to bob in rhythm with the speaker. Too slow and you will seem bored. Too fast and you will seem impatient. It’s a useful tool to get people to stop talking.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I always thought that what her critics didn't like about her was that she talked about Geno and UConn the way they talked about Summitt/Tenn. Could be my imagination.
It's the same with Howard Cosell. You either loved him, or you hated him. I liked him too. Howard was ALWAYS so full of himself. I always got a kick out of him. I loved him on Monday Night Football. I looked at Cosell as a form of entertainment.

Howard William Cosell Cohen; March 25, 1918 – April 23, 1995) was an American sports journalist, broadcaster and author. Cosell became prominent and influential during his tenure with ABC Sports from 1953 until 1985.

Cosell was widely known for his blustery, confident personality.[1] Cosell said of himself, "I've been called arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff. And, of course, I am." Cosell was sardonically nicknamed "Humble Howard" by fans and media critics.[2] In its obituary for Cosell, The New York Times described Cosell's effect on American sports coverage:

He entered sports broadcasting in the mid-1950s, when the predominant style was unabashed adulation, [and] offered a brassy counterpoint that was first ridiculed, then copied until it became the dominant note of sports broadcasting.
His style contrasted greatly with Ray Scott, who is understated, and often used very few words. He also brought an antagonistic, almost heel-like commentary, notably his giving criticism of Terry Bradshaw by suggesting that he did not have the intelligence to win in the league.[3]

In 1993, TV Guide named Howard Cosell The All-Time Best Sportscaster in its issue celebrating 40 years of television.[4]

Cosell was also an attorney (NYU School of Law).

Reaction Score

Some folks also don’t like Geno (arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game) either, and Doris was one of the very few women basketball analysts who openly respected and admired Geno and his accomplishments, and treated him as such.

Reaction Score
Not your imagination at all.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Some folks also don’t like Geno (arguably the greatest coach in the history of the game) either, and Doris was one of the very few women basketball analysts who openly respected and admired Geno and his accomplishments, and treated him as such.
One of the reasons some fans never liked the young “brash” Geno was because at times he was perceived to be cocky and arrogant. Some don’t like him because his teams won most of the time and they could not beat him.

Old Geno has mellowed a little per some of his former players.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons some fans never liked the young “brash” Geno was because at times he was perceived to be cocky and arrogant. Some don’t like him because his teams won most of the time and they could not beat him.

Old Geno has mellowed a little per some of his former players.
Some FANS never liked Geno because he was young and brash??? I don’t know where you get that from (maybe the Tennessee board? Lol) as ticket sales for either home or away games for the UConn Womens program would definitely say otherwise. As a matter of fact the UConn womens program is one of a very very few that has made money in some years.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My husband watched the Celtics vs Golden State (? i think) NBA and Doris was the color commentator. I miss her doing women’s games, just like I miss Robin Roberts. Robin was awesome

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My husband watched the Celtics vs Golden State (? i think) NBA and Doris was the color commentator. I miss her doing women’s games, just like I miss Robin Roberts. Robin was awesome
Pretty sure it was the Denver / GS game. (Celtics playing the Nets)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was the Denver / GS game. (Celtics playing the Nets)
I don’t watch the NBA, unless I get free tickets like I did to the Orlando Magic last month.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don’t watch the NBA, unless I get free tickets like I did to the Orlando Magic last month.
Actually the GS / Denver game was a really good game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom