Doris Burke on KML's conditioning | The Boneyard

Doris Burke on KML's conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This took me by surprise.

Always thought it was just her frame.

But for those in the know, is there anything to it?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
this was discussed in another thread.

Reaction Score
How do you run, bicycle or do any kind of aerobic conditioning with that thing she had on her arm. No, not the sleeve. It's not possible. KML get in better shape and will be there when UConn needs her most. Her shot has something to do with conditioning. When you're tired, you just don't have that same energy on the follow through. She'll get there. KML is a competitor who wants another title, just like her teammates. That's what drives them, to be the best.

Reaction Score
How do you run, bicycle or do any kind of aerobic conditioning with that thing she had on her arm. No, not the sleeve. It's not possible.

There were a number of aerobic exercises she could have done with that thing on her arm. Also there are a lot of things she could have done since she got it off. It was clear her conditioning is not great at the moment and she appears to have gained weight.

Reaction Score
Not an expert but it seems likely that KML was, and continues to be, on a steroid treatment plan for inflammation. Extended use of steroids for treatment of a sports injury like this can lead to a meaningful weight gain. I am sure the training/medical staff are on top of this but it will take time to get back to where she was before this significant injury.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There were a number of aerobic exercises she could have done with that thing on her arm. Also there are a lot of things she could have done since she got it off. It was clear her conditioning is not great at the moment and she appears to have gained weight.

I thought last night that she looked thicker and less agile than she has been and it made it much easier for Baylor to guard her. Heck, Mackenzie guarded her and was face down on the court half of the time.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
From http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

Nonsurgical Treatment
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines. If your symptoms have just started, your doctor may recommend an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen, to help reduce swelling around the nerve.

Steroid injections. Steroids, like cortisone, are very effective anti-inflammatory medicines. Injecting steroids around the ulnar nerve is generally not used because there is a risk of damage to the nerve.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
MacKenzie was never face down on the court. Always was flat on her back.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not sure speculating about players med treatment is appropriate but it does raise several appropriate possibilities including fluid retention but that should be past by now.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I realize there's a difference between conditioning and um, appearance-shape but there's a fair bit of overlap, especially in this discussion.

She didn't have a great shooting game. A bunch of her shots were short. Her conditioning might not be where it needs to be at the moment. On the other hand, she could be coming down with something, too. I, a 40something-year-old guy, do not feel at all comfortable commenting on the actual bodily shape of another person, especially a college-age woman. (Why? Shea Ralph's history is one reason why.)

Naturally, your mileage may vary.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I obliquely alluded to this issue weeks ago (unwilling to suffer the slings and arrows of outraged pc fans). When KML returned the gain was obvious in her face, neck and torso (her uniform jersey was snug). That it persists would suggest some medication effect, but that is pure speculation. KML is a pro; to the extent she can control this, she will.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
what he said. I actually replied sooner, but the posting requirements made me wait over a minute between this post and my last. :mad:
It's rather annoying isn't it. :mad:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
All,

I'm getting a little uncomfortable wit this discussion going much further as it is getting into pure speculation far beyond the observation of fact. I do not think that speculating on why KML may be in less than ideal condition at this point is productive in any way and clearly can get into areas we have no business covering or guessing at.

Lets move on.

Reaction Score
All,

I'm getting a little uncomfortable wit this discussion going much further as it is getting into pure speculation far beyond the observation of fact. I do not think that speculating on why KML may be in less than ideal condition at this point is productive in any way and clearly can get into areas we have no business covering or guessing at.

Lets move on.

These comments are not only speculation but insensitive speculation. how would any of these BYS like it if this was their child. Enough

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I watched the age a few times and focused on KML.

My conclusions:

1. She had a bad shooting night.
2. Because Baylor played 3 guards, KML had to guard Robertson for most of the game. KML was just not quick enough to say with her.
3. KML played 34 minutes. The perceived fatigue could be due to that.
4. The announcer said she didn't have good conditioning, so it becomes fact to some.

She is who she is and I'm glad Uconn has her. She will not have many poor shooting nights like that one. She missed the rim several times. I'm guessing she will light up the RAC .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom