Doris Burke ad ESPN Wrong | The Boneyard

Doris Burke ad ESPN Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And now unfortunately ESPN is replaying it incorrectly. Early in 2nd half Doris was right to say a play UCONN fouled a Wildcat, it should have been a shooting foul. A play or two later one of their guards created contact on Stewie and threw up the ball in hopes of getting a foul call on Stewie. From there Doris blurted out, "That was a foul." Fact is; it wasn't. There is a rule called "the rule of verticality." This guard blatantly threw her body into Stewie. It's a joke Doris overlooked this. And now ESPN is re-playing it implying/saying it was a foul And now ESPN has deliberately changed the order of the 2 plays to boot apparently in an attempt to try to show things were a lot worse than what they really were.

What's frustrating is that we get burned enough by Notre Dame throwing their bodies into our players and getting some cheap foul calls, but when announcers and the network also start blundering, it becomes kind of absurd.

Here we have someone like Doris criticizing WCBB refs, yet she ignores "the rule of verticality." Unreal.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I probably missed this. I always FF through the commercials/ads.

;) (just in case)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree - the first call was one of those 'is it continuation/is it a floor foul' kind of things which in WCBB usually end up being floor fouls. I think in this case it probably should have been a shooting foul, but wasn't surprised that it wasn't. The ball came out very early and didn't ever have the look of heading in the direction of the basket.
The second was an out of control move into the lane with a stumbling guard throwing up a circus shot as she banged into a stationary vertical post player. I though a very good no call.
Overall last night I thought the refs were pretty good - missed calls, but pretty equally divided and controlled the violence without slowing the game. And I thought they were consistent start to finish on what they called fouls and what they let go.
And as for Doris - I think there is a whole thread devoted to opinions about her skills! As well as just a few posts during the game thread with things like STFU interspersed.

Reaction Score
And now unfortunately ESPN is replaying it incorrectly. Early in 2nd half Doris was right to say a play UCONN fouled a Wildcat, it should have been a shooting foul. A play or two later one of their guards created contact on Stewie and threw up the ball in hopes of getting a foul call on Stewie. From there Doris blurted out, "That was a foul." Fact is; it wasn't. There is a rule called "the rule of verticality." This guard blatantly threw her body into Stewie. It's a joke Doris overlooked this. And now ESPN is re-playing it implying/saying it was a foul And now ESPN has deliberately changed the order of the 2 plays to boot apparently in an attempt to try to show things were a lot worse than what they really were.

What's frustrating is that we get burned enough by Notre Dame throwing their bodies into our players and getting some cheap foul calls, but when announcers and the network also start blundering, it becomes kind of absurd.

Here we have someone like Doris criticizing WCBB refs, yet she ignores "the rule of verticality." Unreal.

I agree!!! I also think Doris Burke did a dreadful job of calling the game. For some reason she thinks viewers want to hear stories not related to the game while the game is being played. I was really frustrated to hear her discussing the ND and Baylor games while the Kentucky-UConn game was being player.

She has evolved from a pretty good analyst to a story teller and gossip. Unfortunately, Rebecca Lobo is following her model and we now have two irrelevant analyts. Kara Lawson should be calling games so the viewer can get a sense of what is happening on the floor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You know the commentary is dreadful when you prefer the crowd noise drowning it out compared to hearing anything that is being said.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
None of them calls the game; and they have neither the skill or the ability to work hard to do so. It's a lost cause. They suck; period.

Reaction Score
What I'd do if I was in charge is dump Doris and hire someone to randomly walk around the stands with a microphone and pick up tidbits of fan conversations. Sort of a "man on the street" approach. If a budding Marv Albert is found (I mean the good Marv Albert) then let him/her call the rest of the game.

Reaction Score
What really burned me was her treatment of Mo Jeff early on last nite. It's like she had a whole spiel ready for how Mo was too young etc. Yet even early on it wasn't just Mo who was turning it over.

Then when Mo turns it around she doesn't say boo about her earlier, off base, comments.

I luv Caroline but when Doris said she would be the key to our backcourt the other nite I almost fell off my chair.

DB should own up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA